U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 10:22 PM

653 posts, read 3,132,534 times

Advertisements

Suggestion would be Rapid City South Dakota. Stable population(no boom going on there). Friendly people. Reasonable living cost. Beautifull scenery. Low stress living. Winters actually fairly mild because of it's location. Warm, low humidity summers. Lots of tourists in the summer months, but the rest of the year it is quiet and peaceful. Lack of industry/employment in general is a negative. Other than that the city is a gem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 08:25 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,756,446 times
I like this topic. I also would like to find a decent area but keep away from 'boom towns.' They are bound to crash and burn or become over-run. See what happened, for example, in parts of Florida. So many people moved there, the schools couldn't handle it, and then kids were going 'to school' in trailers instead of proper classrooms.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:37 AM

139 posts, read 587,257 times
Check out quikfacts website.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states

Shows population gains/losses per state/county/city etc....

Old 03-09-2007, 08:45 AM

1,393 posts, read 922,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBayTodd View Post
any growth is bad? idaho is still pretty wide-open. the major growth is happening in boise i think
We could only wish the growth was only in Boise. I'm afraid our state has been discovered. The mountain areas can be very cold even in the summer. I moved here 15 years ago from Northern Idaho and the first three years I thought summer was something only California experienced. You do get use to it but, the summers are short.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:47 AM

1,393 posts, read 922,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
Just don't wear a Miss USA ribbon and walk through NY city. LOL Get it I DA HO get it, huh , huh, I MAKE FUNNY. LOL
Hey this is funny!!!

Old 03-09-2007, 10:07 AM

75 posts, read 351,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyJRT View Post
Check out quikfacts website.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states

Shows population gains/losses per state/county/city etc....
Thanks for sharing this website, Kirby! It's interesting, and I for one wasn't aware that it existed.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:10 PM

3,570 posts, read 7,930,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
Gary, IN???????? No way.
Amen to that! Growing up we always heard Gary, Indiana was the armpit of the nation!! Plus it's so close to Chicago.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:52 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,058,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
Suggestion would be Rapid City South Dakota. Stable population(no boom going on there). Friendly people. Reasonable living cost. Beautifull scenery. Low stress living. Winters actually fairly mild because of it's location. Warm, low humidity summers. Lots of tourists in the summer months, but the rest of the year it is quiet and peaceful. Lack of industry/employment in general is a negative. Other than that the city is a gem.
I've got to agree that Rapid is in a beautiful area. But I don't think the OP would like the crowds that are there in the summertime. The Hills are full of tourists for about four months out of the year. Then there's also the Sturgis Rally where the entire Hills is full of people. Also, housing is quite high out in the Hills.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:18 PM

414 posts, read 2,416,252 times
Yeah I'll have to pass on Rapid.

Not enough jobs sucks as far as I'm concerned.

I think Dixie (AL, MS) don't have freakish growth and good job opps esp for law which is what I'm going for. I applied to schools all down there and will be visiting in April. Thank you city data forum well I hope it stays not moved to in an extreme sense.

Its funny the North Carolina board has 124 pages of posts more than any other in the country. Mississippi has about 7 i think. Both Southern states.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
I believe in general Idaho is experiencing growth so it would be a no-no in this case. I would say North Dakota and Alaska are the best ideas here.
There is lots of room in Idaho, but stay away from Boise area!
What about Oregon? Brother bought house on 20 acres for what I considered cheap; they have plenty of room. Have to go 30min to get to a store.

Or, Bloomindale, OH? Lived there briefly in '80....is it still even there?
Wasn't on the maps....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or