Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Your General Opinion of Pennsylvania?
Mostly Positive 30 52.63%
Mostly Negative 8 14.04%
Neutral 19 33.33%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:17 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Even though nearly as many people are now moving into the South from Pennsylvania as there are from NY and NJ, it is quite evident that residents of the latter two states draw the majority of the ire of many Southern natives with their "Yankee" griping. Why is this? Is it because Pennsylvanians tend to be more socially conservative, more laid-back, and less "in yo face" than people from Greater NYC tend to be? You don't hear of much "Pennsy-bashing" on this forum. Most people hear "Pennsylvania," and a neutral attitude comes to mind along with a shrug of the shoulders. We're the nation's sixth-most-populous state, are home to two major cities, and are usually pivotal in presidential elections. Why, then, do so many give PA a "free pass" while griping about adjacent NYers and NJites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 10:27 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
what??
I guess I haven't noticed....

Old 12-06-2008, 10:34 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Because it's cheaper. Tons of people in the area are moving to PA for cheaper housing. You probably know that though. It doesn't get bashed because it's close enough to NYC but cheap, so why bash PA?

I'm neutral about it. I don't really have a positive or negative view.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:37 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
what??
Check out the occasional anti-transplant rant in a Sunbelt forum sometime, and you'll see the vitriol pinpoint people from NY and NJ as being their biggest complaints, yet PA is also sending just as many transplants down with no mention. I'm not encouraging people to start hating on the Keystone State or anything. I just thought it was quite unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Because it's cheaper. Tons of people in the area are moving to PA for cheaper housing. You probably know that though. It doesn't get bashed because it's close enough to NYC but cheap, so why bash PA?

I'm neutral about it. I don't really have a positive or negative view.
I mostly meant why do people from other regions have such a generally negative view of people from NY and NJ while a "shrug of the shoulders" view of PA when both of your states border us on two sides? That's like saying "those people from MA, CT, VT, NH, and ME are so pushy" while obviously excluding RI in that category.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:41 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Being from NJ I believe PA is a great place. All 4 metro area states are great(NJ, NY, PA, CT)

Old 12-07-2008, 09:12 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
what??
I haven't either. I have a positive view toward PA - beautiful countryside and Philly is great.

If people are talking negatively about NY and NJ, it's mostly referring to the cost of living (taxes) in my opinion.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:00 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
I have a positive view of NY and a negative view of NJ mostly due to what I see on TV. I have no view at all about Pennsylvania. My negative view of NJ comes from the stereotype of NJ people in their 20s. I was watching an episode of True Life on MTV and they portrayed NJ people in a very negative way. The guys were very metrosexual and the girls were loud and obnoxious. I'm sure that is just a gross stereotype and most people there are not like that but that's my only glimpse into NJ society other than a stop at Newark Airport.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:04 AM

133 posts, read 466,481 times
Because the people moving to PA are the ones that are unhappy. Even if less than 1% of the NY/NJ pop moves to PA it seems like a lot of unhappy NY/NJ people to you because that is the sample of people you are exposed to, not the people happy w/ NY/NJ.

Also, my experience living in Syracuse was that most people upstate are very negative towards NY state.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:05 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
I have a positive view of all three. I have friends in NY and NJ, and I've heard good things about Philly and Pittsburgh, and the countryside looks beautiful. I think some people have a negative view of NYC, not necessarily NY State. It may have something to do with exposure. I've met quite a few former NYers, a few people from NJ, and a handful from Pennsylvania. NY and NJ are on TV more often, too, so down here we are more familiar with people who fit those stereotypes better and may tend to pigeonhole them more often, unfairly. I'm not all that familiar with Pennsylvanians and what makes them unique... at all...

Old 12-07-2008, 01:14 PM

114 posts, read 207,533 times
The people I have met from PA tend to be nicer and more down to earth than those from NY and NJ. They are definitely “more laid-back, and less "in yo face".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.