Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

we heard that you did not have enough bad drivers. and that 6 ft 5 texans had a manners training program for rude west coast people. your kind consideration in providing this service would be greatly appreciated. after the attitude reeducation program is completed please return them to us. we need every taxpayer we can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 12:25 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Default Austin is boring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
austin lol...

i got a good chuckle.....seems freakin boring there

tell someone in west hollywood your from "cool" austin....lol
Austin is boring!!!! It is one of the lamest places I have ever lived in!!! I grew up in Houston and relocated to Austin last year with the idea that it was a step up from Houston. Boy was I in for a huge rude awakening! Everyone there kept telling me "I bet you are so glad to get out of Houston and move here". I kept asking them what is so great about Austin? There is nothing to do other then Hook em Horns (if your even into that) or the live music thing which is not as great as everyone describes. Everyone there thinks Austin is the greatest place on earth!

Old 01-12-2009, 04:25 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldupuy View Post
Austin is boring!!!! It is one of the lamest places I have ever lived in!!! I grew up in Houston and relocated to Austin last year with the idea that it was a step up from Houston. Boy was I in for a huge rude awakening! Everyone there kept telling me "I bet you are so glad to get out of Houston and move here". I kept asking them what is so great about Austin?
It's called Austitude.

With some Austin folks at least, they love to belittle Houston for whatever reason. As you've found out, they're usually in the wrong.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:48 PM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
I hear Austin is being re-populated by all the people who left Austin to become Californians a few years ago...getting too expensive there for them, or it didn't work out I guess.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:06 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
I hear Austin's draw is that it has hot chicks, hot weather, and hot jobs.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:30 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
I hear Austin's draw is that it has hot chicks, hot weather, and hot jobs.
Those would be some of the draws for any large Texas city

Old 01-13-2009, 01:24 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanityRules View Post
that's because it is the greatest. Why do 4 million people live in L.A. if it's a dump and why is L.A. the 2nd most visited city in america huh? I think you got it all wrong people love L.A. not hate it.

look at these charts L.A. is the secound largest city in america
List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

here a chart showing L.A. is most visited
Forbes:Americas 30 most visited cities!

don't tell me no one likes L.A.

Yeah Mexico City and Sao Paolo are even larger than LA because they are so cool and everyone like it there.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:51 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldupuy View Post
I grew up in Houston and relocated to Austin last year with the idea that it was a step up from Houston. Boy was I in for a huge rude awakening! Everyone there kept telling me "I bet you are so glad to get out of Houston and move here". I kept asking them what is so great about Austin? ....Everyone there thinks Austin is the greatest place on earth!
I know, I don't get it. I could have blown it off if it were just a few disgruntled people doing it, but it's beyond ridiculous with how many people there do it. It happens a lot on these forums, case in point just look at the first few sentences here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/6978196-post2.html

And you should have heard the things I had to listen to when I moved from Austin to Houston! And guess what, it was all wrong. Way wrong.

People wonder what the deal is with Houstonians being "boastful" or "too pround"... well, that's not really it. It's that they have to put up with this trash talk and bashing not only from the rest of the country (because of Texas stereotypes), but also within their own state (from Austinites for whatever reason, and from Dallasites because of the rivalry of being such a similar city.) Houstonians are really just trying to defend the city when they have to constantly put up with hearing so many untruths and exaggerations.

(Sorry to go a bit off topic here...)

Old 01-13-2009, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,685 times
The attitude of TXGUY2009 is the exact reason why many people don't like Austin! I'm with Bluebeard!

To anyone thinking about moving to Austin - it's not all it's cracked up to be. Sure, any fan of Austin reading this will say "if you're not outdoorsy or don't like live music, or if you're from Houston or Dallas or anywhere in California, then Austin may not be for you". That is crap. I think the reason many people don't like Austin is because of the vibe there. And the people there that give it that vibe.

I moved there in 1994, went to UT, moved away, moved back; I've spent about 8 years there. I loved being there for my college years. But as a working adult, I hated it. I still have friends in Austin - of course there are some great people there. But in general, there exists an elitist, exclusive, unfriendly vibe. It's strange!

I've been all over California (and Texas and most of the rest of the country) - and I honestly think that Californians have reason to have a bit of an ego: California has a lot to boast about! Certainly more to boast about than Austin. Yet Austin has a much bigger attitude.

I have yet to hear anyone address the oppressive / unfriendly vibe...

Old 01-13-2009, 07:00 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,634 times
Hmm....Sao Paulo is cooler than LA to me! LA is deffinately cooler than Austin though. I also moved to Austin from Houston, and heard all the "Aren't you glad you got out of Houston" mess. I thought it was funny, and made those asking sound on the less traveled side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.