U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2008, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,656 posts, read 7,467,300 times
Reputation: 4328

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
I'd love to see you go to Austin, walk into a biker bar, and then talk that ****. Fact is, people around the country think of people in Hollywood as a bunch of glamour boys or girly girls. Austin is real.
Whatever...

People are just as pretentious in Austin as they are anywhere else. Like I've said before, Austin was "cool" back in the early 90's, and now it's hip because it's become mainstream.

I like Austin, and I know every place has its crime, but frankly I get spooked by Central Texas. The area from Waco down through Killeen and then to Austin has its weirdos too, and some pretty infamous crimes have taken place in the area throughout its history - think Austin's "Jack the Ripper" ax-murderer, University of Texas Tower sniper, Luby's massacre in Killeen (I was down the street when this happened), Branch Dividian Compound in Waco...

I also just found out three days ago that one of my former friend's (had not heard from him in a couple of years) body was found in a river in Belton, Tx last May 2007. The circumstances are odd, and the local authorities said they didn't suspect foul play (???) - I'm still trying to find out more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2008, 05:05 AM
 
3,219 posts, read 8,014,300 times
Reputation: 1412
San Antonio and Austin are getting the bulk of the Californian because of the job oppor and low housings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 06:05 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,716 posts, read 33,749,623 times
Reputation: 51987
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Why is this happening - particularly Anegelinos and SDers, but a fair numbers of people from the Bay Area too, especially to Austin and Houston. Why is this happening?
They're escaping. Hopefully, when they get there they won't try to turn it into the place they left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 07:05 AM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,625,296 times
Reputation: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
TX has its share of problems. I'm just saying....some people in L.A. seem to think it's the greatest place, when in reality everyone from other parts of the country think it's a nightmare and wouldn't live there even if you paid them to, and people much prefer SF or even SD/OC.
Kind of like how you think that Houston is the greatest place, when in reality folks in other parts of the country thinks it's a nightmare and wouldn't live there even if you paid them to, and people much prefer Austin or even Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,724,774 times
Reputation: 7282
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Whatever...

People are just as pretentious in Austin as they are anywhere else. Like I've said before, Austin was "cool" back in the early 90's, and now it's hip because it's become mainstream.

I like Austin, and I know every place has its crime, but frankly I get spooked by Central Texas. The area from Waco down through Killeen and then to Austin has its weirdos too, and some pretty infamous crimes have taken place in the area throughout its history - think Austin's "Jack the Ripper" ax-murderer, University of Texas Tower sniper, Luby's massacre in Killeen (I was down the street when this happened), Branch Dividian Compound in Waco...

I also just found out three days ago that one of my former friend's (had not heard from him in a couple of years) body was found in a river in Belton, Tx last May 2007. The circumstances are odd, and the local authorities said they didn't suspect foul play (???) - I'm still trying to find out more info.
Crime in Waco and Killeen has gone up extremely. They've been ranked above cities like Port Authur and Beaumont for crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,884,614 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
I'd love to see you go to Austin, walk into a biker bar, and then talk that ****. Fact is, people around the country think of people in Hollywood as a bunch of glamour boys or girly girls. Austin is real.
Futcha, don't pay attention to machine, he is one of the 5 california trolls with no credibility.

People are moving to Texas from California because of the freedom to live life and enjoy life here. The job and housing markets are also strong and everyone that I have met here from Cal. says it is a major upgrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,884,614 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Kind of like how you think that Houston is the greatest place, when in reality folks in other parts of the country thinks it's a nightmare and wouldn't live there even if you paid them to, and people much prefer Austin or even Dallas.
Kind of like you think Atlanta is the greatest place when in reality many think it is a sprawled out hellhole and wouldn't live there if you paid them. I like Atlanta by the way, just sayin though. What you say could go for any city USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 06:49 PM
 
3,596 posts, read 7,715,118 times
Reputation: 2878
Texas is cheap. Californians can move there and build their gigantic fortress mansions without regard for those pesky neighborhood concerns other states have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 10:55 PM
 
Location: DFW Texas
3,096 posts, read 6,783,423 times
Reputation: 2150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
I'd love to see you go to Austin, walk into a biker bar, and then talk that ****. Fact is, people around the country think of people in Hollywood as a bunch of glamour boys or girly girls. Austin is real.
Actually Futcha, Houstonians are more REAL than Austinites. 20 years ago, Austin was REAL, today its almost as pretentious as Dallas or LA!!
Houston or Fort Worth is where you'll find the REAL "cool" people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2008, 01:59 PM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,625,296 times
Reputation: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Kind of like you think Atlanta is the greatest place when in reality many think it is a sprawled out hellhole and wouldn't live there if you paid them. I like Atlanta by the way, just sayin though. What you say could go for any city USA
Nice try, but I'm not a homer about Atlanta like txguy is about Houston. I can admit Atlanta's problems and there are many times that I've agreed with others about Atlanta's problems. My post wasn't about Houston, as much as it is about txguy and his propensity to put down other people's cities in an irrational manner while trying to defend Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top