U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:52 AM

756 posts, read 1,697,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Hmm....Sao Paulo is cooler than LA to me! LA is deffinately cooler than Austin though. I also moved to Austin from Houston, and heard all the "Aren't you glad you got out of Houston" mess. I thought it was funny, and made those asking sound on the less traveled side.
I totally agree on the Sao Paolo comment. I really don't understand the Austitude. Everyone in that town tries to belittle Houston and it is laughable. If Austin is the end all of culture and everything cool, why do they always give me the 'deer in the headlights look' when I speak of seeing theatre productions. And I am sorry, but when Chinese and Mexican food are 'ethnic' food, it is time to realize Austin is a college town and will never be on par with Houston or Dallas.

But hey, maybe Austin will be as cool as Columbus, OH or Nashville, TN someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 10:10 AM

18,659 posts, read 27,113,557 times
Not much like for Austin in the last few posts. I will say that I prefer Dallas and Houston over them both. But Austin is not as bad as being portrayed so far on this thread. There is an Austitude. But stay outta West Austin and you will not come face to face with that. People in North Austin and East Austin are very much down to earth and like the rest of Texas.

Oh and Houston has an attitude itself now. Boasting how it's the biggest city and all.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:40 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,798,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanityRules View Post
who likes texas ugly ass back country theres parctically no greenery. So damn ugly there.
I really didn't have a dog in this fight until I read your post. San Diego and Southern California? Green? You've gotta be kidding me. It's only green there if it's within range of a sprinkler.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:31 PM

3,219 posts, read 8,013,558 times
Don't count San Antonio out it has a huge explosion of Cali here

Old 01-14-2009, 05:44 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,793,674 times
Probably a job opportunity or lower cost of housing. I live in San Diego, and we get a decent share of transplants from around the country (including Texas). The difference is that California has such a large population, a transplant is more likely to be from California than another state. Go to the North Carolina forum and they will complain about the transplants from New Jersey and New York- again, populous states.
As an aside, I'm no fan of LA and think it's funny how the rest of California, particularly SoCal, gets lumped into it. I've been to New York more often than I've been to LA in the past couple of years despite only being 2.5 hours away and do not consider it desirable or the same "area". The transplants from all over the country near me share one thing in common- they do not want to leave.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:47 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,856,819 times
Soooo, if I move to TX I probably shouldn't mention I'm from CA? I'll say I'm from Rhode Island or something.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:58 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,721,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
Soooo, if I move to TX I probably shouldn't mention I'm from CA? I'll say I'm from Rhode Island or something.
Dude, no one will care your from CA, we have so many here already and they are doing fine.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:50 PM

8,031 posts, read 7,647,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
I really don't understand the Austitude.
Urban Dictionary: austitude

Old 01-17-2009, 04:33 AM

15,954 posts, read 36,224,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
Photo by Roger Burgess
From The Alamo (http://www.oldcardboard.com/lsj/images/alamo.htm - broken link)

Austin (Live Music Capital)
Wow, I wish Austin looked like this when I visited! I wrote the whole town off as GREATLY overrated! This scene looks great, but I don't think its exactly normal or routine.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:17 PM

804 posts, read 1,738,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I hear Austin is being re-populated by all the people who left Austin to become Californians a few years ago...getting too expensive there for them, or it didn't work out I guess.
I remember lots of bay area folks who lived in Austin and returned to CA a few years back. Funny how trends change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.