U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 06:22 PM

5,656 posts, read 7,462,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
I remember lots of bay area folks who lived in Austin and returned to CA a few years back. Funny how trends change
I remember some folks moving to Austin in the early 90's from the Bay Area, but they moved back to the Bay area long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 09:40 AM

23 posts, read 33,695 times
I read a very thoughtful and well respected economic report the other day on CA and SF. Long story short, CA will again become on par with other states in the nation in terms of housing price. It may take some time though. My wife and I certainly are headed back soon and will never consider living in TX again. This was her fault.. but don't tell her that! lol..

Old 03-08-2009, 11:55 PM

804 posts, read 1,738,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 333eloise View Post
I moved there in 1994, went to UT, moved away, moved back; I've spent about 8 years there. I loved being there for my college years. But as a working adult, I hated it. I still have friends in Austin - of course there are some great people there. But in general, there exists an elitist, exclusive, unfriendly vibe. It's strange!
So true, and it seems worse now than it was years ago.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:43 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,080,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
its cheap...

thats about it, dont get too happy because no one moves there for fun/entertainment/cool factor

Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,185,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 333eloise View Post
To anyone thinking about moving to Austin - it's not all it's cracked up to be. Sure, any fan of Austin reading this will say "if you're not outdoorsy or don't like live music, or if you're from Houston or Dallas or anywhere in California, then Austin may not be for you". That is crap. I think the reason many people don't like Austin is because of the vibe there. And the people there that give it that vibe.

I moved there in 1994, went to UT, moved away, moved back; I've spent about 8 years there. I loved being there for my college years. But as a working adult, I hated it. I still have friends in Austin - of course there are some great people there. But in general, there exists an elitist, exclusive, unfriendly vibe. It's strange!

I've been all over California (and Texas and most of the rest of the country) - and I honestly think that Californians have reason to have a bit of an ego: California has a lot to boast about! Certainly more to boast about than Austin. Yet Austin has a much bigger attitude.

I have yet to hear anyone address the oppressive / unfriendly vibe...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
So true, and it seems worse now than it was years ago.
I never noticed this elitist "vibe" in Austin, but maybe it's changed since I lived there. I do agree that for many people, it's not all it's cracked up to be.

So what do you mean worse now than it was years ago?

Old 06-15-2009, 03:11 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,604,232 times
California's hard times driving people back to the 'Dust Bowl' | McClatchy

Old 06-15-2009, 06:23 PM

32,397 posts, read 55,240,452 times
Actually stats show that the hard times seem to be driving people from the outer valleys back to the expensive Bay Area.

Its very interesting.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:45 PM

18,658 posts, read 27,102,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually stats show that the hard times seem to be driving people from the outer valleys back to the expensive Bay Area.

Its very interesting.
Yes it will be very interesting to see the population numbers for Fresno, Modesto, Stockton (why would anyone want to live there on purpose though lol, and Bakersfield) when census 2010 comes out.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:48 PM

20,866 posts, read 36,004,584 times
The one big negative in my opinion is the fact that TX has much less desirable weather compared to most of CA. Let's see... TX is already in the 100s for high temps. Electricity costs in TX are some of the highest in the country due to deregulation measures taken a few years ago. Hot temperatures= insanely high bills due to AC usage. Building codes in TX have to be strengthened to account for this. Property taxes in TX are also extremely high as well.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:52 PM

18,658 posts, read 27,102,729 times
Yes weather is a huge part of what I'm not dying to move back to Texas myself. I really hated Texas in the summertime. I remember in August of 99, it was 100 degrees EVERY DAY for the entire month. On Labor Day of 2000, every city in the state (well at least where I was at) was around 110. It can get unbearably hot. But that's the extreme you have to take compared to the extreme bitter cold of the Midwest and East Coast. personally, I find Texas AND California weather boring. Give me the seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.