U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 03:43 AM

31 posts, read 92,719 times

Advertisements

I notice there are often negative statements regarding
"newcomers" on these forums- some more than others.
Which states seem more welcoming in your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 03:52 AM

376 posts, read 374,701 times
AZ SUCKS, MIDWEST IS COOL. Dunno bout other spots but I think the bigger the city, the ruder the peeps.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:17 AM

673 posts, read 3,752,614 times
Default Eastern Midwest friendly, Western Midwest unfriendly

I think with the midwest there are two distinct patterns and the dividing like is Chicago.

I find larger cities (havent been to NYC or Boston though) to be much friendlier then smaller towns typically.

The midwest east of Chicago is fairly friendly. Indiana and Ohio I have found to have fairly friendy people. Indiana seems to be more out-going and more welcoming then Ohio. But none the less Ohio has some very friendly people!

I would say the plains states tend to be very unfriendly however with the exception of Minnesota. Minnesota for some reason is a very friendly amazing place in a region of extremely cold, arrogant and unfriendly people. I would advise any one considering moves to the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas and Iowa to consider the fact that these states have virtually zero domestic in-migration and they already have all the friends they want. !

You could probubly meet more people in a day in Minnesota then you would in ten years in the other plains states (Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa) Minnesota is like this because it has alot more people from out of state moving in because of the good economy and high quality of life.

My homestate of Colorado I would say at least 90% of people are nice also and Coloradoans tend to be very open and accepting. The Denver metro area is the friendliest in the state, the rest however can be more insular and not as friendly to the visitor. Exception ski resort towns.

West Virginians I found friendly in a sort of insular way, but none the less friendly. I also found West Virginians to be the most genuine and laid-back people ive talked with.

Western PA people in my experience tend to be helpful, they will give you directions for example when you need them but I find it to be fairly insular. I found Western PA to be very genuine also. Dont know about Eastern PA

Last edited by MattDen; 02-28-2007 at 04:29 AM..

Old 02-28-2007, 11:56 AM

489 posts, read 1,859,529 times
Chicagoland and NW Indiana, Alabama, Tennessee, and Minnesota.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:11 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,383,648 times
NC, SC, TN, PA, upstate NY

Old 03-04-2007, 07:44 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,772,710 times
I agree with western pa. and minnesota as well.
Here in sc there are friendly people,but also a large amount of unfriendly.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:52 AM

53 posts, read 285,258 times
You have to be careful with places that are "friendly." Plenty of rural places, especially in midwest and south, are friendly but relocating there you'd never be accepted. People will be nice to you but you'll never be "in;" you'll always be the new person. In some areas even second or third generation residents are considered "new."

Old 03-04-2007, 09:01 AM

2,814 posts, read 12,074,093 times
I find southwest Missouri incredibly friendly and welcoming too. Here they don't give a crap that I'm originally from California and they don't think I have a funny accent and people are incredibly gracious.
In Las Vegas people keep their heads and eyes down when they pass you in the supermarket and are aggressive with their cars and shopping carts.
In Missouri they look right at you in the eye, smile, and say "hello" and if they find themselves blocking your way, will scoot over quickly with an apology.
My neighbors are incredible...all of them. I learned really quickly the value of good neighbors during the terrible ice storm in January.
None of us had power for a week and trees lay overwhere with powerlines down and houses on the brink of freezing water pipes, sump pumps not working because of no power so basements were flooding, etc.
ALL of my neighbors (and I live in the country and all of us live on a minimum of 4-10 acres each) pitched in to help each other carting water to the horses as the wells weren't working, hooking car batteries to sump pumps and having to manually run them to get water levels down in basements, sharing portable propane heaters so that we could keep our water pipes from freezing and bursting (my house had gotten down to 37F inside and I was panicking and my closest neighbor put a propane heater in the dead center of the house, closed off the bedrooms with no bathrooms, and we got the house to 72F while it was 10F outside.
We've worked together to clear all the trees and share chainsaws, electric carts for hauling, and resources.
I've never been in a friendlier area than southwest Missouri. People truly take care of each other and they actually care about you.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:37 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,772,710 times
Quote:
You have to be careful with places that are "friendly." Plenty of rural places, especially in midwest and south, are friendly but relocating there you'd never be accepted. People will be nice to you but you'll never be "in;" you'll always be the new person. In some areas even second or third generation residents are considered "new."
The places I speak of I have lived there. nw pa and minneapolis

Old 03-04-2007, 02:04 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,620,633 times
Florida might be one of the most friendly, especially if you are from Canada or Ohio.

Nobody is actually "From" Florida so telling them, you are from some place they are "From" is like going to Old Home Week confab.

I don't know what happens if you tell them you are from AL, UT or NH. Maybe not like old home week. Nobody ever admits to being from a lot of other places. One gent did get pretty misty talking about Wheeling, WV about like Italians from Naples (the old country, not Florida).

Pretty good when they know all about where you are from, to include how to spell all the towns, what towns are next to each other and even who once lived in your town. More like moving your town than going to a new place.

Just wish some of the prices were not so high, they like to blame the Yankees for that, maybe not the Ohio Yankees, guess you can't call those up in Canada Yankees either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.