U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-08-2008, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Omaha
2,716 posts, read 6,213,794 times
Reputation: 1221

Advertisements

Funny, a recession map coming from a broke newspaper...yet, the conservative icon that is Texas, is the recent scapegoat downfall of the US(according to NYT).

The New York Times is a joke...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2008, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,178 posts, read 67,320,481 times
Reputation: 15825
Hooray! Scranton is a huge salmon-colored blob! Recession? You betcha! We've consistently had the state's highest unemployment rate, which is now around 7.0%! Go us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 08:27 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,830,394 times
Reputation: 3545
Not surprised at the map at all. Hurray Texas!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Dallas
1,365 posts, read 2,300,634 times
Reputation: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Not surprised at the map at all. Hurray Texas!!
ummm, this isn't really something to be happy about, did you see the first map? That's not a good thing for ANY of us. This is not a competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Houston
6,865 posts, read 12,804,298 times
Reputation: 5794
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
ummm, this isn't really something to be happy about, did you see the first map? That's not a good thing for ANY of us. This is not a competition.
why can't he be happy that he is living in a state that is doing well? he didn't say anything bad about any other state. i'm happy that i'm in a state that is doing well. but i'm also aware that it could be short lived and at that time i'll probably be sad too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 08:39 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,830,394 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
ummm, this isn't really something to be happy about, did you see the first map? That's not a good thing for ANY of us. This is not a competition.
Uh...who said it was a competition? I'm just glad that Texas is doing well. I never said anything about any other state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 10:30 PM
 
Location: DFW Texas
3,096 posts, read 6,773,285 times
Reputation: 2141
The map shows the area I live in in Texas (Waco/Temple/Killeen), as "at risk for recession". Hmmmm, could have fooled me! It seems like just about everywhere is hiring, building is continuing, etc. What recession? Even though it isnt as robust as a couple of years ago, its still growing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Dallas
1,365 posts, read 2,300,634 times
Reputation: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Uh...who said it was a competition? I'm just glad that Texas is doing well. I never said anything about any other state.
well, I'm sure others don't like gloating, you may not see it that way but I'm sure others do. This really is a very sad state of affairs for MANY people in this country and almost everyone in this country and world are being affected because of this economic downturn from us losing jobs and barely making it to people in Africa dying from infected water if they even get any water. This is a very delicate subject for many people and requires as far as I'm concerned some level of sensitivity. While things may be great for us (subjectively great), there is a real trauma out there being experienced by millions of people. Who knows what's gonna happen in the next 6 months. Things aren't necessarily going to get much worse, but they can. I'm not saying don't be happy for your own state or city of residency, but please consider what others out there are truly experiencing. While you are happy that your state is doing well, others are wondering how they're going to survive.

Last edited by portyhead24; 12-08-2008 at 11:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2008, 12:38 AM
 
2,560 posts, read 5,268,949 times
Reputation: 764
There are construction cranes all over San Antonio. I read there is between 15-20 million square foot of retail under construction. A lot of mixed use developments in the works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2008, 04:03 AM
 
303 posts, read 764,195 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
well, I'm sure others don't like gloating, you may not see it that way but I'm sure others do. This really is a very sad state of affairs for MANY people in this country and almost everyone in this country and world are being affected because of this economic downturn from us losing jobs and barely making it to people in Africa dying from infected water if they even get any water. This is a very delicate subject for many people and requires as far as I'm concerned some level of sensitivity. While things may be great for us (subjectively great), there is a real trauma out there being experienced by millions of people. Who knows what's gonna happen in the next 6 months. Things aren't necessarily going to get much worse, but they can. I'm not saying don't be happy for your own state or city of residency, but please consider what others out there are truly experiencing. While you are happy that your state is doing well, others are wondering how they're going to survive.
I agree. And Texas may join most other states in being in debt in the next year.

State piggy banks take a whack - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/budget/story/1456558.html - broken link)

Quote:
Even Texas, which alone of the nation's 10 most populous states has a budget surplus, is facing tougher times. Much of the state's surplus is a windfall from last year's high oil prices, which are plunging this year. And analysts estimate what's left of the state's $11 billion surplus will be eaten up next year by higher health care costs and cleaning up the debris from September's Hurricane Ike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top