U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:34 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,217,832 times

Advertisements

Another good thing Texas had going for it that largely saved them from the brunt of the housing crisis is its low cost of living and lack of extreme property value appreciations in recent years. There wasn't an overwhelming population of people with homes they could barely afford. Many places with a very high cost of living may have higher wages but they aren't an even representation of property values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 10:41 AM

240 posts, read 393,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Damn is everyone this pissed Texas is doing so good. One person congratulates Texas and everyone comes in pretty much wishes bad luck on us. We known there are chances that we could sooner or later be in recession, but right now were not.
I'm certainly not "pissed that Texas is doing so good" (sic)- I'm just skeptical that it will continue. I grant that Texas' economy is diversified, yet when oil and natural gas prices almost halved in a year's time even a diverse economy will take a hit.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:39 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,842,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
well, I'm sure others don't like gloating, you may not see it that way but I'm sure others do. This really is a very sad state of affairs for MANY people in this country and almost everyone in this country and world are being affected because of this economic downturn from us losing jobs and barely making it to people in Africa dying from infected water if they even get any water. This is a very delicate subject for many people and requires as far as I'm concerned some level of sensitivity. While things may be great for us (subjectively great), there is a real trauma out there being experienced by millions of people. Who knows what's gonna happen in the next 6 months. Things aren't necessarily going to get much worse, but they can. I'm not saying don't be happy for your own state or city of residency, but please consider what others out there are truly experiencing. While you are happy that your state is doing well, others are wondering how they're going to survive.
Seriously? You're taking this too far. People just as well could have seen me as being proud that my state is doing find. I'm done with your garbage. I can't be proud that my state is doing fine in this economy? I never even said a damn thing about any other state but Texas. Was I saying "oh, hahaha, look at Atlanta and Phoenix and their stupid economies!!!". Nope. All I said was "I'm not surprised at the list and proud of Texas". You need to lay off. Sheesh.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:04 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,235,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Seriously? You're taking this too far. People just as well could have seen me as being proud that my state is doing find. I'm done with your garbage. I can't be proud that my state is doing fine in this economy? I never even said a damn thing about any other state but Texas. Was I saying "oh, hahaha, look at Atlanta and Phoenix and their stupid economies!!!". Nope. All I said was "I'm not surprised at the list and proud of Texas". You need to lay off. Sheesh.
Angel713,

I respectfully but strongly ask that you lay off the harsh rhetoric. Nobody is saying anything over the top or on the offensive to attack Texas.

Texas just happens to be the most thriving state in the country right now, and we should all congratulate it. However, as with some (not most or all) Texans, when anything that is slightly perceived to be negative is said about their state, all heck breaks loose.

I LOVE Texas and would like to move there, but even I'll admit that a state like Texas with a diverse economy may VERY well still be hurt by this impending recession. This, considering the dramatic plummet in oil prices in just the last two months.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 12-09-2008 at 03:12 PM..

Old 12-09-2008, 03:14 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,842,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Angel713,

I respectfully but strongly ask that you lay off the harsh rhetoric. Nobody is saying anything over the top or on the offensive to attack Texas.

Texas just happens to be the most thriving state in the country right now, and we should all congratulate it. However, as with some (not most or all) Texans, when anything that is slightly perceived to be negative is said about their state, all heck breaks loose.

I LOVE Texas and would like to move there, but even I'll admit that a state like Texas with a diverse economy may VERY well still be hurt by this impending recession. This, considering the dramatic plummet in oil prices in just the last two months.
I know he is not saying anything over the top to Texas, but he is saying over the top things to me. All I said was "hurray Texas" and he goes on a tirade on how I should be sensitive and not be happy about other states not doing good (I'm paraphrasing). Like seriously, who is he?

Old 12-09-2008, 03:52 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,762,541 times
Yeah, but based on what? I live in Birmingham and our unemployment is the fifth lowest in the nation.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:20 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,558,114 times
Things are probably going to get MUCH worse all over in the coming months. I predict it could be 5-10 years that we come out of this if we don't tighten our belts and start living within our means.

IMO, there is too much "ME, ME, ME" and a sense of entitlement these days that has to be eliminated before we can ever turn things around for good.

Yes, we may have somewhat extended "up" periods in the next 10 years or so but until we learn our lesson and start behaving like adults things will ultimately get much worse.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:26 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,752,136 times
I think what no one thought would happen has actually finally happened. There are to many people for the jobs available in the US. We continue to lose jobs to other countries and do not create new jobs to fill those voids. This can only spell disaster!

Old 12-09-2008, 04:30 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,251,257 times
I guess we are in the mostly struggling catagory here in Oregon but it's hard to tell. Lots of people are out Christmas shopping.
Yes Texas is doing well right now. It's good that some places are doing well.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:46 PM

463 posts, read 1,368,519 times
Wow, kudos to Texas!

I live in Pennsylvania and sadly we only have one little dot on the growing economy page, which is State College. We are filled with purple and orange, however. I was suprised that my city of Williamsport was considered large enough (a metro of 50,000-100,000 people) to be on the map, but alas, it is the recessive purple dot on top of the "g" of Pittsburgh. Hopefully we will be able to change this in upcomming years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or