Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 04:49 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Sarcasm? Well, not terribly so. I really thought the Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and upstate New York people joined the ranks of Long Islanders and New Jerseyans in terms of moving south in droves.

As for the other way around, Charlotte is where many of the yankees and Midwesterners are relocating to. Nashville was also on some Yahoo! Top 10 list JUST TODAY for continuing to add jobs and remain strong in the midst of this recession.
Doesn't the map show cities experiencing recession? I'm not sure that has much to do with whether people are moving in or out of the city...it's about the economy, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 07:03 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Doesn't the map show cities experiencing recession? I'm not sure that has much to do with whether people are moving in or out of the city...it's about the economy, right?
True.
People leave Boston because of cost, weather, and politics. Not because of the economy.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:09 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Look and Florida's crap economy.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:40 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The map is about economy, not moving patterns, you're right.

However, in places where there is a longer-term struggling economy (usually combined with high taxes and COL), people are more likely to create moving patterns, too (not that this map highlights that, but just for the sake of argument.)

Old 12-09-2008, 09:42 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
This is like bragging about home prices a month after foreclosures started. While some places are still untouched by the current economic downturn, it will eventually reach all places in the US to some degree or another.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:00 AM

241 posts, read 435,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is like bragging about home prices a month after foreclosures started. While some places are still untouched by the current economic downturn, it will eventually reach all places in the US to some degree or another.
I suspect Texas appears to be doing well because the map was probably assembled from data around a year old. What is the condition now when gas and oil prices have dropped precipitously? Oil is a cornerstone of the Texan economy- there's no way lower oil prices are not giving it a Texas-sized beating.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veridian View Post
I suspect Texas appears to be doing well because the map was probably assembled from data around a year old. What is the condition now when gas and oil prices have dropped precipitously? Oil is a cornerstone of the Texan economy- there's no way lower oil prices are not giving it a Texas-sized beating.
Yup. I don't see the party lasting much longer down there. But I do hope for the best-for all places. This is going to be a rough one.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:11 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veridian View Post
Texas is much more diversified these days. Their industries, other than energy, include aerospace engineering, defense development, agriculture, chemicals, healthcare/research, tourism, technology, manufacturing....etc etc.

Many Texas corporations are driven by a necessity type market demand which should prove to be more stable than places like Florida, California, etc.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:17 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Damn is everyone this pissed Texas is doing so good. One person congratulates Texas and everyone comes in pretty much wishes bad luck on us. We known there are chances that we could sooner or later be in recession, but right now were not.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Damn is everyone this pissed Texas is doing so good. One person congratulates Texas and everyone comes in pretty much wishes bad luck on us. We known there are chances that we could sooner or later be in recession, but right now were not.
What?
I dont think anyone is wishing bad luck on Texas. We're just a bit sober on the realities of our current economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.