U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 09:51 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,739,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's a thought. Try valuing people based on their kindness and attitudes, rather than their conformity to your rarefied political views. I've never found a city that didn't have tolerance for differing political views. Well, except for Los Angeles.
While I agree with the general idea that you are expressing here, the OP did claim not to be a "hard-line liberal." If that is really true, then I'm a little leery of a few towns suggested above. Northampton, MA, is an example. Northampton and nearby Amherst, and many of the smaller towns in that local area, lean way far to the left, and show extreme intolerance to attitudes that are even moderately conservative, maybe even toward those views slightly to the left for that matter. If the OP really is not "hard-line," that area may be too intolerant from the left to suit the OP. I've never been to Ithaca, but if the things I've heard about it are true, it's pretty much like Northampton in terms of undisguised hostility toward anyone whose views are not way far to the left.

When the OP claims not to be a "hard-line liberal," and describes a place where the whole town turns out to watch high school football, I'm picturing something more middle-of-the-road, traditional small town, with genrally moderate views. Lawrence, Bloomington, and Madison may be too large, although I'm not sure how many schools they have, so I don't know the sizes of the individual schools. However, maybe small towns in their vicinities might have what the OP is looking for, or even those cities themselves, if they have enough schools to keep the enrollments small.

I would also suggest checking into the nicer sububrbs of Portland, ME, maybe Gorham, Brunswick, Scarborough, or Cape Elizabeth. The area generally leans well to the left, but it is a small metro, so mixed in all around the fringes there is still some of traditional small-town New England, where the views tend to be mixed and moderate, with people respecting others' right to their views.

Actually, much of Maine might work. I mention the Portland area specifically because of the concentration of well-funded school systems in that area. It's tricky, because there is less of that traditional small-town life in the Portland suburbs than in more rural parts of Maine, but there are more affluent communities, with the resources to fund their schools well, in the vicinity of Portland. A number of areas in New Hampshire might work as well, especially in the vicinities of Manchester or Portsmouth. I would suggest posting in the NH and Maine forums to search for a good fit in either of those states. People who live in those states may very well be able to suggest the towns that are more traditional all-American small town kinds of places, that also have schools of good quality.

Last edited by ogre; 12-26-2008 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 10:36 PM

196 posts, read 568,585 times
Much of what you're describing exists in coastal Northern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or