U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 06:10 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,387,760 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to the Southern US just because I can. I can just pick up and go when I want. I am 30 yrs old and single. I currently reside in the NYC area. I am well travelled in the US and know there is no perfect place.

I never thought I would like the mountains until my drive back home from New Orleans and drove through the mountains of TN and Georgia! Breathtaking! I also love the gulf coast though LA and AL. Perhaps a place with lots of protected natural habitat?

I am just going to list my likes/dislikes and see what everyone comes back at me with...Thank you in advance!

Likes-warm weather, mountains, water (lakes, rivers, marshes and oceans), nature, friendly people and places that are not too trendy such as (Vegas, Austin, South Florida).

Dislikes-Long winters, trendy places where everyone flocks, seeing nature get destroyed to put up new condos, houses, shopping malls, rednecks, or towns where if you dont go to church you are an outsider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gld View Post
get out of america while you can!the collapse and martial law shall begin any day!
ps-southerners love new yorkers yawl!

Might be moving out of the country in a few years because some of what you say is true although I belive you meant it sarcastically. I have never had trouble with Southerners either. I am very polite, respectful and I got treated the same way on my trips down south.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:19 PM

11,874 posts, read 32,904,313 times
Check out:

Asheville, North Carolina

Chattanooga, Tennessee

Johnson City, Tennessee

Old 12-09-2008, 10:36 PM

JMT, thats excellent, thank you. I will look into those places. Now out of these 3 places which has the most, parks, nature preserves, bike trails..etc..?

Old 12-10-2008, 09:47 AM

612 posts, read 1,623,424 times
Wow, JMT awesome pics!! You have made me a believer of the mid-atlantic now lol.

Anyway, those cities look like an awesome shoo-in. If you still need to expand your options then check out the following link:

www. find your spot .com

Sorry for the spaces. I recommend this website to anyone. It is really a good deal and it will help you find what you're looking for.

Good luck.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:55 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,562,228 times
Definitely Asheville, I've been there and it's absolutely beautiful, and VERY Southern.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:44 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
I would add Knoxville TN. I've heard some very good things about it. Nashville isn't bad either. Lexington KY is another to consider. Upstate SC(Greenville, Anderson, Spartanburg, Clemson, etc.) has similar scenery and could be a good choice.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:50 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,741,043 times
Since you do not like rednecks you should discount the south all together. Maybe a place like Albuquerque, NM would suit you best.

Albuquerque - Official City Website
http://www.itsatrip.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.