U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:33 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,388,786 times

Advertisements

Relocating to the South at some point soon and looking for a southern city or even state that has lots of nature, parks, wildlife preserves, bike trails..etc..A place that is "green" and does not revolve around the church would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 10:35 PM

23,094 posts, read 35,044,432 times
I would guess that Asheville, NC is close to what you're looking for.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I would guess that Asheville, NC is close to what you're looking for.
I got that suggestion in another thread I made too....Chattanooga seems nice too...I will check it out...Thank You

Old 12-09-2008, 11:35 PM

11,882 posts, read 32,920,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I got that suggestion in another thread I made too....Chattanooga seems nice too...I will check it out...Thank You
Several years ago Chattanooga was listed in a magazine (Outdoor Magazine?) as being one of the top 10 cities in the country for outdoor sports. Within about a half hour of downtown Chattanooga you can go hanggliding, whitewater rafting, hiking, mountain biking, water skiing, or sailing.

Asheville is decidedly more liberal than Chattanooga, but it's also more expensive and has a longer winter (although I guess compared to where you're from it's still not too bad).

Asheville is close to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and Pisgah National Forest as well as some beautiful state parks. Chattanooga is close to Cherokee National Forest and a host of state parks, forests and recreational rivers. The '96 Olympics whitewater rafting event was held outside of Chattanooga on the Ocoee River. Chattanooga also has two very large lakes bordering its city limits, something Asheville doesn't have.

Chattanooga is larger than Asheville although the metro populations are pretty close. Chattanooga has a better public transportation system and at one time had the country's largest fleet of electric buses (I don't know if it still does). The city has done a remarkable job of sprucing up its waterfront and has a very walkable, very livable downtown.

Asheville and Chattanooga both have tiny airports, but Chattanooga is only 100 miles from Atlanta and Nashville, and Asheville is only 100 miles from Charlotte.

And what the heck, here are some more pictures of Chattanooga.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:40 PM

1,075 posts, read 3,246,238 times
I’m an outdoor freak and I picked TN for my thing but naturally everyone has different reasons, lot’s o places in southwest VA and WVA not too shabby either, not much talk about western Maryland lot’s o neat stuff there, north GA mountains not bad either, I wouldn’t let church stuff sway a decision if it’s not that it’ll be something else so brush it off and don’t let the little stuff get in your way.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:06 AM

JMT....what areas of Chattanooga are the nicest/most affordable? I would be looking to get a nice apartment.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
Iím an outdoor freak and I picked TN for my thing but naturally everyone has different reasons, lotís o places in southwest VA and WVA not too shabby either, not much talk about western Maryland lotís o neat stuff there, north GA mountains not bad either, I wouldnít let church stuff sway a decision if itís not that itíll be something else so brush it off and donít let the little stuff get in your way.

Where are you from orginally? What made you decide on TN? Where in TN are you?

Old 12-10-2008, 06:32 AM

11,882 posts, read 32,920,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
JMT....what areas of Chattanooga are the nicest/most affordable? I would be looking to get a nice apartment.
Now that's a good question. I don't actually live in Chattanooga so I can't really answer it. But if you go to the Tennessee forum and post the question under the Chattanooga subforum you should get plenty of responses.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chattanooga/

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:25 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,995,060 times
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina, USA

Home toÖ

THE US NATIONAL WHITEWATER CENTER
Located on the banks of the Catawba River, the 307-acre public adventure-sport facility includes whitewater rafting and kayaking, mountain biking and hiking trails, a climbing center and a ropes course!!

Website: US National Whitewater Center //// TAKE IT OUTSIDE !!! \\ - Home

Old 12-10-2008, 12:29 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,331,660 times
Chattanooga is a really good choice, so I second it.

You might also want to consider Columbia, SC. The city sits on three rivers: the Saluda and Broad rivers merge to form the Congaree River. The Congaree River Blue Trail (http://www.americanrivers.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=11729&news_iv_ctrl=1282 - broken link) was recently designated as a National Recreation Trail. You've also got Lake Murray and the Congaree National Park, which is home to the largest remnant of old-growth floodplain forest remaining on the continent and is also an international biosphere reserve. Other related amenities include Riverbanks Zoo & Botanical Garden, Sesquicentennial State Park, and Dreher Island State Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or