U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 10:40 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,193,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Yeah, Minneapolis proper has like 300,000 people (St Paul in the 250-275 neighborhood). The metro is about 3.5 million.
The city of Minneapolis has 422,331 as of 2017, and St. Paul has 309,180 as of the same year. That's a population of 731,511 in 114 sq mi more than twice as dense as Atlanta in an area that's smaller than its city limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Minneapolis is so spread out, you never really know which suburb you're in, as the city, itself, isn't that big. I've never been a big fan of that, but it is what it is. There wasn't room for the city proper to grow...so the suburbs grew, instead.
You have to think of Minneapolis and St. Paul, together, as one city/urban area. For all intents and purposes, they function as one core city.

In terms of spread out suburbia, how exactly that any different from Atlanta? Atlanta has the same style of sprawl (to a far more excessive degree) except the city proper contains a good portion of it. The cities proper of Minneapolis and St. Paul, on the other hand, consist entirely of prewar gridded streetcar neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 10:50 AM

5,286 posts, read 3,503,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
The city of Minneapolis has 422,331 as of 2017, and St. Paul has 309,180 as of the same year. That's a population of 731,511 in 114 sq mi more than twice as dense as Atlanta in an area that's smaller than its city limits.

You have to think of Minneapolis and St. Paul, together, as one city/urban area. For all intents and purposes, they function as one core city.

In terms of spread out suburbia, how exactly that any different from Atlanta? Atlanta has the same style of sprawl (to a far more excessive degree) except the city proper contains a good portion of it. The cities proper of Minneapolis and St. Paul, on the other hand, consist entirely of prewar gridded streetcar neighborhoods.

And all of these issues were addressed in my post, which you obviously chose to ignore since it doesn't match your narrative.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes, and you had to go back 66 years in an attempt to justify your blanket statement. And no, much of its land was not still empty.
My blanket statement was that most southern cities annexed giant swaths of land...which is true. This includes Atlanta.

Quote:
Wrong. The core of Atlanta in Downtown and Midtown is on a grid. The main streets in the rest of the City are old farm to market roads and Cherokee trading paths that follow the contours of our rolling topography. About 35% of the land area is taken up by the historic wealthy neighborhoods, with homes ranging from mansions on large lots to multi-acre estates. There is no equivalent to this in Minneapolis, or most large U.S. cities.
I never said that the old historic center of the city wasn't gridded; however the outer annexed portions (which is most of the city) consist of snake-like, car-dependent suburban streets. Yes, it is correct to say that Atlanta city limits span inner-city urban core all the way to suburban development.

Quote:
Wrong again. Atlanta did not have 'suburban land to develop' in that period, it was mostly built out. There were a lot of active industrial areas then as well.
A lot of the land that was annexed did already have built-out suburban neighborhoods, but there was still developable land as well. Just take a quick Google Street View tour through areas of the outer portions of the city. You'll find all sorts of 60s, 70s, and 80s-era neighborhoods.

Quote:
It's clear that you have no idea what you are talking about here, and are of the mindset that the Sunbelt is monolithic. It's not, no region is. Educate yourself a little before making such sweeping generalizations of a region you are clearly unfamiliar with.
I'm not sure why you're hung up on my "sweeping generalization of the Sunbelt". I'm merely comparing Atlanta to the Twin Cities.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:13 AM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
My blanket statement was that most southern cities annexed giant swaths of land...which is true. This includes Atlanta.
Nah it really doesn't. Compare Atlanta's city limits to Charlotte's, Nashville's, Jacksonville's, Houston's, Dallas's, Memphis's, etc. Atlanta doesn't fall into that same category at all.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:20 AM

Atlanta tripled its land size in 1952 (all in an effort to gain 100,000 wealthy white suburbanites to change the power structure in city government, mind you). I'd say that definitely falls into the same category.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:25 AM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Atlanta tripled its land size in 1952 (all in an effort to gain 100,000 wealthy white suburbanites to change the power structure in city government, mind you). I'd say that definitely falls into the same category.
And the city is still well under 150 sq mi and contains less than 10% of the metro population. So no, that doesn't fall under the same category as Sunbelt cities that annexed tons of land within their counties or consolidated with their counties....at all.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:02 PM

23,050 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And the city is still well under 150 sq mi and contains less than 10% of the metro population. So no, that doesn't fall under the same category as Sunbelt cities that annexed tons of land within their counties or consolidated with their counties....at all.
Nor did Atlanta 'triple its land size' in 1952 LOL. The annexation added about another 20% of land area to the city.
Hilarious when posters play fast and loose with facts in order to serve an agenda. This forum has become famous for it.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Nor did Atlanta 'triple its land size' in 1952 LOL. The annexation added about another 20% of land area to the city.
Hilarious when posters play fast and loose with facts in order to serve an agenda. This forum has become famous for it.

Bingo! And there is definitely an agenda at play here.

Note to jennifat - reading wiki's Atlanta page does not make you an expert on Atlanta, it makes you look foolish.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Quote:
Bingo! And there is definitely an agenda at play here.

Note to jennifat - reading wiki's Atlanta page does not make you an expert on Atlanta, it makes you look foolish.
I would suggest that either of you take the time to edit Atlanta's Wikipedia page if you believe the cited, verified facts aren't accurate. You have to read the cited material in order to get a good sense for accuracy, as most people are aware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...ation_1952.jpg

This map from 1952 seems to corroborate the 1952 annexation stat mentioned about tripling of size of the city. Perhaps it's fabricated? I suppose it's all a grand conspiracy to tarnish the good name of your city.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I would suggest that either of you take the time to edit Atlanta's Wikipedia page if you believe the cited, verified facts aren't accurate. You have to read the cited material in order to get a good sense for accuracy, as most people are aware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...ation_1952.jpg

This map from 1952 seems to corroborate the 1952 annexation stat mentioned about tripling of size of the city. Perhaps it's fabricated? I suppose it's all a grand conspiracy to tarnish the good name of your city.

You're coming across at this point as very provincial and close-minded. Have you ever been outside of the Upper Midwest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or