Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
^I am not saying that. I am saying that it isn't anywhere comparable to the N.E. in quantity.
You said, "I really don't think I am going to find any urban compact row home neighborhoods in the south."

Quote:
There si more to center city than tight bussiness districts.
What do you think comprises a city center? Tell me, so I can post some photos of one in the south. You don't know what you're talking about and you obviously haven't traveled enough.

Quote:
Those photos of rowhomes in Atlanta look like your modern 1990-2000s townhomes being built recently. Meh.
So what if they were built recently? That just means they are new and nicer...not any less of a rowhouse. What a snide little comment that was. Impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 12:17 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
If it is ok to interupt a flame war; I am going to address the OP. I would tend to approach this a little differently than I think most of you all are. MAybe not, anyway, I don't think, for example, Indianapolis and Nashville has a lot in common. But, I think that Indianapolis and Columbus (OH) are to the midwest what Nashville and Charlotte are to the southeast. I tend to think of Milwaukee being to the midwest what Jacksonville is to the south; or that Philadelphia is to the north what Atlanta is to the south. Minneapolis/St. Paul is to the north what Tampa/St. Pete is to the south.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:20 PM

241 posts, read 435,417 times
Thanks for the pictures of Savannah, Deacon- they are absolutely beautiful! I kick myself every time I think that I have yet to get to Savannah, despite taking several trips to Atlanta to visit a friend of mine. We half-made plans to go to Savannah on one of my trips, but it was Memorial Day weekend and we didn't want to deal with the tourism traffic.

Still, I'm sorry to say that the pictures from Atlanta didn't elevate my feelings about that city. Yeah, those rowhouses are new and clean...but also rather sterile. Quite frankly, I looked and looked for "charm" in Atlanta, and was genuinely disappointed in not finding it- at least not as much as I had expected.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:41 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,134 times
Atlanta is not for everyone to like So you dont have to defend atlanta

Old 12-11-2008, 12:44 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veridian View Post
Thanks for the pictures of Savannah, Deacon- they are absolutely beautiful! I kick myself every time I think that I have yet to get to Savannah, despite taking several trips to Atlanta to visit a friend of mine. We half-made plans to go to Savannah on one of my trips, but it was Memorial Day weekend and we didn't want to deal with the tourism traffic.

Still, I'm sorry to say that the pictures from Atlanta didn't elevate my feelings about that city. Yeah, those rowhouses are new and clean...but also rather sterile. Quite frankly, I looked and looked for "charm" in Atlanta, and was genuinely disappointed in not finding it- at least not as much as I had expected.
Atlanta's older neighborhoods were defined by the bungalow, not the townhouse...that is true.
I'm sorry you weren't able to find charming neighborhoods in Atlanta...they are actually in abundance here. Next time you visit, I recommend you seek out:

Ansley Park
Morningside
Virginia-Highland
Inman Park
Druid Hills
Brookwood Hills
Haynes Manor
Tuxedo Park
Brookhaven
Decatur

They're not at all hard to find.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:56 PM

241 posts, read 435,417 times
One area I did kind of like was Cabbagetown (sic?)- my friends are big fans of the Carroll Street Cafe. There was indeed some charm there, but I was really expecting more from a southern city.

I did notice the large number of bungalows- I don't have anything against bungalows by any stretch of the imagination...in fact, I live in one! Again, though, I thought I'd see more and better buildings, parks, etc. than I did. Perhaps by some bizarre twist of fate my friend and just happened to go down the wrong streets when he took me sight-seeing multiple times, and somehow the routes we took to various locations all over the city were duds. From what I've seen so far, however, I think what JFK said about D.C. applies to Atlanta "all the charm of Northern city, all the efficiency of a Southern one".

I remain convincible but unconvinced. I'll still be poking my nose around "looking for charm" next time I visit my friend, but I'll still rib him for making a mistake in moving there.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You said, "I really don't think I am going to find any urban compact row home neighborhoods in the south."

What do you think comprises a city center? Tell me, so I can post some photos of one in the south. You don't know what you're talking about and you obviously haven't traveled enough.

So what if they were built recently? That just means they are new and nicer...not any less of a rowhouse. What a snide little comment that was. Impressive.
Jesus dude. CENTER CITY IS THE NAME OF DOWNTOWN PHILLY. I'm not talking about City Centers. Center City is very unique and no, its not going to be found in the south. Jesus.

Those rowhouses are Meh. I have travelled throughout the us, except for Texas, and the Northwest. I work in the architecture business, and can evaluate architecture designs very well. I never bashed Atlanta, so calm down. I am sorry if I don't like the new bland rowhouses being built today in the south, NORTH AND THE WEST.

Just because something is newer does not mean it is nicer. Most modern apartments being built are built cheap and disposable. Come back in 20 years and lets see how nice those hold up.

I just find it to funny for you to be telling me that I don't know what I am talking about, and I havn't traveled enough when you have no idea what I am saying when I refer to Philly's Center City. You are a riot.

Last edited by Awesomo.2000; 12-11-2008 at 01:29 PM..

Old 12-11-2008, 01:07 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times
Can you post me a photo of a southern city that is equivalent to Center City Philadelphia please.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:38 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Can you post me a photo of a southern city that is equivalent to Center City Philadelphia please.
As if anyone here cared enough to address your arrogance with photographic proof. You remind me why I am grateful to be born a southerner.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:57 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Tell me your a transplant stuck in his way because you sound like you've been brainwashed into that thought. "Urban cowboy" mentality, McMansions, red wing boot, and driving a big pickup. You're the type of person who'll move to the Northeast and start feeling yourself, right?

Yeah, I'm a transplant. I transplanted from rural South Carolina to urban North Carolina. No, I don't plan to move to the northeast and start feeling myself. WTH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm from transplant from Chicago, and this has to be the dumbest post I've read all day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And your 'picture' would have nothing whatsoever to do with reality.
Well, sorry to step on y'all's dainty Atlantan toes.

But I call it like I see it. And I've never seen any peanut farmers in metro Atlanta, but I've seen plenty of frat boys and wealthy suburbanites who drive glorified farm trucks, wear carhartts, and pretend to not live in a large city.

Let me know when you find a similar demographic in London or New York that embraces rural fashion, drives V8 trucks with plenty of low-end torque, lives in barn-sized houses in low-density sprawl, and refuses to ride public transit.

Last edited by le roi; 12-11-2008 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.