Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:57 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Dallas><Minneapolis
Detroit><New Orleans
Indianapolis><Charlotte
New York><Miami
St. Louis><Memphis
Columbus><Jacksonville
Cincinnati><Birmingham
Columbus has a fantastic/gentrified/urban inner city. I really do not see this in Jacksonville. Columbus might compare better with Charlotte in NC, however Charlotte lacks the progressive/hip/college vibe. Thus the only thing in the south that is like Columbus would be a mix of Charlotte and Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 03:43 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
New York-Atlanta (when you think of North or South these are probably the first cities you think of for each region
Philadelphia-Dallas- each have huge regional importance
Chicago-Houston- the number two cities that deserve more recogition from the number one city in their region, my opinion
Pittsburgh-Birmingham- does this need an explanation?
Inadianapolis-Charlotte- I have always heard these two are similiar, so for lack of a better reason here they are, I know that's a bad reason
Boston-Raleigh- I may catch heat fro this. Not because Raleigh is a thriving metropolis but each city has huge educational and research based economies I think that there are several similiarities, but Raleigh on a much smaller scale.
guesses:
New Orleans-Detroit
Jacksonville-Columbus
Nashville-Cleveland
I would also say Miami and New York City because of culture but I already used New York, so Miami is left out even though it is a huge southern city.

I believe the South offers no apologies for our big acres of land and suburban living. That's what makes the South the South historically. Atlanta may not have Center City but does Phily have Buckhead? Each city has its own unique flavor that offers the USA.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:50 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
New York-Atlanta (when you think of North or South these are probably the first cities you think of for each region
Philadelphia-Dallas- each have huge regional importance
Chicago-Houston- the number two cities that deserve more recogition from the number one city in their region, my opinion
Pittsburgh-Birmingham- does this need an explanation?
Inadianapolis-Charlotte- I have always heard these two are similiar, so for lack of a better reason here they are, I know that's a bad reason
Boston-Raleigh- I may catch heat fro this. Not because Raleigh is a thriving metropolis but each city has huge educational and research based economies I think that there are several similiarities, but Raleigh on a much smaller scale.
guesses:
New Orleans-Detroit
Jacksonville-Columbus
Nashville-Cleveland
I would also say Miami and New York City because of culture but I already used New York, so Miami is left out even though it is a huge southern city.

I believe the South offers no apologies for our big acres of land and suburban living. That's what makes the South the South historically. Atlanta may not have Center City but does Phily have Buckhead? Each city has its own unique flavor that offers the USA.
yeah. its called South Street...ok ok i'm kidding

maybe Manayunk? not quite the same though

Old 12-16-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
yeah. its called South Street...ok ok i'm kidding

maybe Manayunk? not quite the same though
I personally wouldn't know. I wanted to make the case that Phily has Center City and Atlanta has Buckhead which makes it unique. I also forgot the underground, which maybe only Montreal has something similiar. But do you have pictures or descriptions of South Street? That would be a nice comparison.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:45 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Baltimore-New Orleans

Both have their own unique culture but are a bit in the dumps. Both gorgeous cities with large problems

Old 12-16-2008, 06:07 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Jacksonville-Columbus
That's interesting. I'd probably say Jacksonville-Milwaukee.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:34 PM

Yeah, both cities have huge city proper populations, nice urban cores. I don't know much about the economy of each but I'm sure that even that is similiar. Both are nice cities, perhaps underrated in each respected region.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:54 PM

61 posts, read 128,474 times
The old historic part of Boston and Charleston S.C. are a perfect match .

Old 03-13-2010, 05:03 PM

332 posts, read 644,068 times
With all of the huge skyscrapers in downtown Dallas, I would say it is the New York City of the South.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:55 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Pittsburgh - Birmingham
Indy - Charlotte
DC - Dallas
Chicago - Houston
Columbus - Austin
DC, Detroit - Atlanta
Philly - Miami
Baltimore - Jacksonville
Providence - Charleston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.