U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 05:39 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,048,295 times

Advertisements

Take a northern city and match it with a southern city that you think is similar. You can pick any city, but heres an example: Charleston, SC reminded me of a southern Boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 05:52 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times
Detroit to Atlanta...easy no brainer. I would also probably say that Chicago matches up to either Houston or Dallas. St. Louis, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, and perhaps Pittsburgh although that may be stretching it, match up to Louisville, New Orleans, and Memphis. Pittsburgh I would match to Charlotte. Pittsburgh definitely to Birmingham...Birmingham isn't called "The Pittsburgh of the South" for nothing. I might match New York or Philadelphia to Miami. Probably either Philadelphia or New York. I think I agree about Charleston and Boston. Nashville reminds me of Indianapolis or Columbus somewhat..similar in size to those two cities, although its landscape is drastically, drastically different.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:02 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,206,342 times
Dallas><Minneapolis
Detroit><New Orleans
Indianapolis><Charlotte
New York><Miami
St. Louis><Memphis
Columbus><Jacksonville
Cincinnati><Birmingham

Old 12-10-2008, 06:10 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,048,295 times
here are some more

Detroit: Memphis
Chicago: Houston
Hartford: New Orleans
NYC: Miami
Worcester: Nashville
Providence: Atlanta
Pittsburgh: Knoxville
Pittsfield, MA: Greenville, SC
Bridgeport, CT: Baton Rouge
Springfield, MA: Little Rock
Atlantic City: Gulfport
Long Island: Hilton Head

There are some cities that are so southern I can't think of a northern city that compares. Savannah, Columbia, Chattanooga, Tueplo, Tallahassee. They have more in common with other southern cities.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:13 PM

3,669 posts, read 8,840,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Detroit to Atlanta...easy no brainer.
Of course it's a no brainer. Atlanta and Detroit are so much alike, in fact I can't even tell them apart. Both are tied as the most dangerous cities in the United States, both are industrial economies centered on one type of industry, both have the same climate, and both have been having declining populations.

In case you can't tell, I was being sarcastic. The only thing ATL and Detroit have in common is the crime problem (which about 20 other cities have), the economy (which most of the country is in a recession), a majority African-American population, and one building in ATL (the Westin Peachtree) looks like a building in Detroit (The GM Rennaisance Center).

Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Of course it's a no brainer. Atlanta and Detroit are so much alike, in fact I can't even tell them apart. Both are tied as the most dangerous cities in the United States, both are industrial economies centered on one type of industry, both have the same climate, and both have been having declining populations.

In case you can't tell, I was being sarcastic. The only thing ATL and Detroit have in common is the crime problem (which about 20 other cities have), the economy (which most of the country is in a recession), a majority African-American population, and one building in ATL (the Westin Peachtree) looks like a building in Detroit (The GM Rennaisance Center).
Wow, somebody needs to be tranquilized Southern cities and Northern cities differ in these characteristics, but I simply suggested Atlanta to Detroit because both are similar in size...both have about the same importance in their respective regions...and both ARE very African American and both have a high rate of crime...that is what stands out the most for me...you are one of the first people I've come across in fact that is so strongly opposed to Detroit not being a good matches for each other when matching a Northern city to a Southern one. and historically, Detroit was once very much like the major booming center that Atlanta currently is today...both are Eastern cities of roughly the same size population. And since when does a Northern city have the same climate as a Southern one?

Old 12-11-2008, 06:15 AM

3,669 posts, read 8,840,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Wow, somebody needs to be tranquilized Southern cities and Northern cities differ in these characteristics, but I simply suggested Atlanta to Detroit because both are similar in size...both have about the same importance in their respective regions...and both ARE very African American and both have a high rate of crime...that is what stands out the most for me...you are one of the first people I've come across in fact that is so strongly opposed to Detroit not being a good matches for each other when matching a Northern city to a Southern one. and historically, Detroit was once very much like the major booming center that Atlanta currently is today...both are Eastern cities of roughly the same size population. And since when does a Northern city have the same climate as a Southern one?
I didn't think you meant it in that way. Usually when people compare Atlanta to Detroit, which happens a lot especially on this forum, they usually mean it in a degrading or insulting way, since Detroit has such a bad rep and is rated the worst city in the United States.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:56 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,360,151 times
New York-Jacksonville
Boston-Tampa Bay
Philadelphia-Charlotte
Pittsburgh-Miami
Altoona-Atlanta
Detroit-Dallas
Hartford-Houston

This is a silly list, I know. But sadly it is no more silly than any other list.

Northern cities are so far different than southern cities that no list can be made.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:06 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,268,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
New York-Jacksonville
Boston-Tampa Bay
Philadelphia-Charlotte
Pittsburgh-Miami
Altoona-Atlanta
Detroit-Dallas
Hartford-Houston

This is a silly list, I know. But sadly it is no more silly than any other list.

Northern cities are so far different than southern cities that no list can be made.
I agree...southern cities are growing and prospering, northern cities are impoverished and dying. People want to live in southern cities...they can't get away fast enough from northern cities. They are very different places.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:36 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,360,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I agree...southern cities are growing and prospering, northern cities are impoverished and dying. People want to live in southern cities...they can't get away fast enough from northern cities. They are very different places.
How bout we try.

I agree......Southern cities boomed with sprawl and "Dumb" growth on a fake economy of credit on housing booms. Northern cities are walkable, historic, and architecturally wonderful. Northern cities have a strong sense of culture and arts, and many Northern cities in the rust belt are rebounding, and most on the east coast have never died and keep adding more people as people even move away. Southern cities are very spread apart, don't have funky old cool neighborhoods like northern cities, and are very bland for the most part.

Lets not start a war. I made a ignorant stament back to another ignorant statement just to show how easy it is to simply bash cities from one region. I know there are many walkable, historic, and culture filled southern cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or