U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 10:50 PM

32 posts, read 74,936 times

Advertisements

We're likely moving to a new state soon, and are trying to figure out if we should rent for a while to get a better sense of communities, etc., before committing to buy a house. But we hate the idea of throwing away money on rent so we're torn. Any thoughts/experience on this?

Also, any tips for ways to learn about new areas/different towns and schools, etc., without making multiple expensive and exhausting (we have a toddler) trips to the new locale? Do we just need to suck it up and plan lots of visits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 12:18 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,333,737 times
You wouldn't be throwing money away by renting. Think of it as an investment so you can learn to make a better and more satisfying choice for the longer term.

Learn, narrow it down, visit.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:27 AM

1,075 posts, read 3,245,475 times
rent, ya don't wanna buy then find out your in the bad part o town, get all your ducks in a row first, research the heck out of a place, get it narrowed down to the nitty gritty then no choice left but make a few trips sucks but has to part of the selection, don't buy into everything you read on here either make your own call on that destination.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:02 AM

4,060 posts, read 9,106,870 times
In this economy, rent! If you make an error it might not be fixable for a long time and then you will be stuck. I am a fromer realtor (15 yrs).

Old 12-11-2008, 06:34 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,359,827 times
I understand how people think people who rent, "throw their money away". I think different. Renting is a good way of not being stuck somewhere that you may not like in a year. I don't want to own till I am 35 and I will be ready to actually settle down in a house to own.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:40 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,366,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
In this economy, rent! If you make an error it might not be fixable for a long time and then you will be stuck. I am a fromer realtor (15 yrs).
Amen to that. Especially with this housing market, even if you get a loan, I highly doubt your house is going to appreciate enough in the next year or two that you're be renting that it would make a difference.

I rented for 7 years and was perfectly happy with that. In the end it's your life and you need to make the right decisions for you, not just worry that you're missing out on $5,000 of house appreciation that you won't relish in for years.

I rented in 4 different places around the city before I decided exactly where I wanted to settle down, and I was in the right financial position to act. Renting is nice because if you want to move - you can! I can't imagine buying in a city if I hadn't even lived there prior. What if you hate your neighborhood, your job, or just the whole damn thing...

Old 12-11-2008, 09:32 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,070,388 times
If you're questioning whether to rent or buy, there are a lot of resources online to check out your new state and it's different communities. If it's a medium to large city, crime data is available, and often this is available by neighborhood. If there's a neighborhood you're considering, Google it and see what you find. I think by visiting an area (during the day and at night) and doing extensive research (via the computer) you should be able to ascertain what area is right for you. Also, visit restaurants (fast food included), and other business venues, and ask employees about the area - schools, crime, desirability, etc. Personally, I'd want to buy, because I hate the moving process.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:38 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,070,388 times
Also, on City-Data, post your questions regarding the area you're moving to on the U.S. Forums - very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or