Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 AM

305 posts, read 991,565 times

Advertisements

I am native Minnesotan and was wondering how it is for southern people to have Christmas without snow? I just cant imagine it. To me the two go hand in hand. Any comments?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:09 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,235 times
I live in Pittsburgh and we only have a white Christmas like once a decade on average.

Remember, Christmas is only in the first week of actual winter, and even majority of the north doesn't have snow pack on the ground this early.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:12 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
I know jersey is a north state.. but Christmas time most time isnt snow time. it flurries now and then before the holiday but nothing packing down.

Minn, mich, west PA and NY all have that crazy snow. but not the NE states.

but i do love a white christmas.. the few time nj has one.

all the snow comes around late jan and early feb.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:22 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Why don't we ask the folks who live in the southern hemisphere how they handle it?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:31 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
I've always thought that snow on Christmas was something off T.V.
It's simple. It's Christmas without snow, everything is the same (I assume) there just isn't snow and it isn't as cold.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:34 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeen2008 View Post
I am native Minnesotan and was wondering how it is for southern people to have Christmas without snow? I just cant imagine it. To me the two go hand in hand. Any comments?
*chuckling a bit* Funny thing, several days I ago I started a thread on the Texas forum concerning just this topic: Slightly re-edited, here is what I wrote:

Greetings y'all...

It struck me to ask how many of you all have experienced a "White Christmas" in Texas?

As a native Texan, I am not much of a winter weather type person, and am perfectly content to let the yankees keep it to themselves.

BUT...I gotta admit...I envy them a bit the magic of a White Christmas. THAT I wouldn't mind at all. Alas though, we Texans/Southerners just don't get much of a chance for one due to geographical fate.

I can remember only two in my lifetime. Seems like the first was 1977 and the other was 1985 or so...?

BTW -- here is a map showing the chances in any given year of having a White Christmas:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2007...white-xmas.jpg

Old 12-15-2008, 09:44 AM

952 posts, read 3,705,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeen2008 View Post

You know, I am from Sweden so I understand what you mean but you get used to it. And even in Sweden there haven't been any white christmas the last few years. I lived in Oklahoma when I first moved to USA and there were 90 degrees during the Christmas season. Then we moved to WA state south of Seattle and I never saw a white Christmas there either. So it is not just the south.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:48 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Why not name the thread, "How do people in California deal with no snow at Christmas?" Anywhere in the South is more likely to get some snow than MOST of California.

Us Texans and Southerners are just fine by not having a blanket of snow on Christmas. BTW, places in the panhandle of Texas can very likely see snow on Christmas. Whenever a massive snow storm hits someplace over the holidays I always think how bad it is going to be for those people having to deal w/ SOOO many people on the road traveling for the holiday with the horrible weather. Then you hear of the wrecks that happen and people losing their life because of it...... sad. And right at the holidays too.

I LIKE having a somewhat warm Christmas day actually. The kids can get out and ride the bike that Santa brought them. New skateboards, roller blades, scooters, etc. they all get to be used on Christmas Day in the nice weather. No snow and ice covering the ground and preventing them from doing so.

Besides, I'd still celebrate Christmas if I were sitting on a beach in the Carribean in a swimsuit.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:51 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
You know, I am from Sweden so I understand what you mean but you get used to it. And even in Sweden there haven't been any white christmas the last few years. I lived in Oklahoma when I first moved to USA and there were 90 degrees during the Christmas season. Then we moved to WA state south of Seattle and I never saw a white Christmas there either. So it is not just the south.
The same way northeners feel.....

Old 12-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
If future posts in this thread match the tone of some of the posts I deleted above, this thread won't remain open for long. I strongly recommend that future posters in this thread review the following section of the TOS.

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

<snip>

Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.