U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:41 AM

127 posts, read 871,584 times

Advertisements

Detroit, Cleveland and St. Louis might get a resurgence simply because of resonable housing prices in these areas compared with other large metro areas. Other various areas ready to explode population wise:

Fresno, CA
Boise, ID
Spokane, WA
Omaha, NE
Tulsa, OK
DFW, TX
San Antonio, TX
Charlotte, NC
Charleston, SC
Wilmington, DE
Burlington, VT

Alot of these cities have major disadvantages of sorts aka climate, sprawl etc, but people will be willing to risk these to find somewhere that is up and coming within the next 20 years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 04:29 PM

34 posts, read 26,958 times
People will flee from 3rd-world-ization and Mexican-ization but still want decent weather. Idaho, Utah, East Tenn, North FL, Upstate SC.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:10 AM

3,116 posts, read 7,167,692 times
I haven't seen anyone mention Columbus, Ohio yet. I don't know much about the city, but I've driven through it a few times and it seems like a decent place. It's one of those newer big cities with a metro population of over 1 million but it still isn't that big yet, and being landlocked, it has plenty of land available for growth. (It's also the home of Ohio State University.)

Old 03-05-2007, 08:38 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,438,104 times
you can get an idea here, although i think there predictions are going to be a bit off.

http://www.census.gov/population/pro.../PressTab1.xls

i dont see florida or cali adding 12 million each. so that means millions are going to have to go somewhere...

Old 03-05-2007, 11:43 AM

364 posts, read 397,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention Columbus, Ohio yet. I don't know much about the city, but I've driven through it a few times and it seems like a decent place. It's one of those newer big cities with a metro population of over 1 million but it still isn't that big yet, and being landlocked, it has plenty of land available for growth. (It's also the home of Ohio State University.)
I saw someone mention it in a list. I think it will be up and coming. I say this because the restaurant scene there is booming. There are restaurants there with similar cusine to NYC and Chicago. Alot of seafood concepts.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:17 PM

127 posts, read 871,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
I saw someone mention it in a list. I think it will be up and coming. I say this because the restaurant scene there is booming. There are restaurants there with similar cusine to NYC and Chicago. Alot of seafood concepts.
The restaurant scene there is booming because there is literally nothing else to do in the city other than eat and drink. I don't doubt the fact it will grow in the next decade, but Columbus is a very plain, boring city, and the people that go there will be people simply looking for a 'good deal' on a house.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:53 PM

364 posts, read 397,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmlions View Post
The restaurant scene there is booming because there is literally nothing else to do in the city other than eat and drink. I don't doubt the fact it will grow in the next decade, but Columbus is a very plain, boring city, and the people that go there will be people simply looking for a 'good deal' on a house.
May be so. I've never been there so I cannot say. A friend of mine who is an Area Director for Capital Grill was telling me about some new citys they were coming into and what there competition is like and Columbus was one. Along with Minneapolis and Providence.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:34 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,648,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I sort of wonder about this criterion for being on the Up and Coming List.

I lived in Columbus, Ohio way back when, it was a comfortable place, lived on the east side out by Whitehall and then up by the University. That was before any of the real growth. They were talking about Urban Renewal. The ring road and beltways were just pipe dreams.

It ain't Up and Coming it has already been. Growth like a Black Hole. Filled in all that land between the beltways and far belong. Grew around the burbs it could not annex and surrounded them instead of being ringed by them.

I don't know what would be so great about living there now. You got it all, sprawl, traffic, all the things of any big giant blob that covers so much area that just moving around it is exhausting.

Plus it now has pollution and a haze. Can be bad in summer, that heat can be very bad. Sounds to me in far to many cases that the definitions of larger desirable cities is broken. Bigger is better. Ain't so in Columbus' case. Does it really need more strip malls?

I would have to reject the rationale that if it gets even bigger it will be even better. Probably at its limits in terms of a lot of its carrying capacity, especially road networks.

These cities get presented as buds just ready to bloom. Many too years late for that category.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:29 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,287,804 times
Indianapolis > Columbus

Old 03-06-2007, 03:47 AM

186 posts, read 847,871 times
Rio Rancho, New Mexico (a.k.a "The city of vision") The city leadership managing the rapid growth with a plan in mind - proactively.

Omaha, Nebraska Big projects backed by solid finances should mean a healthy increase of profile and desirability. There is decent rivalry with Des Moines, Iowa in attracting the right kind of people to the prairies... the next decade should be good for the whole region.

A lot of people are on about Boise, Idaho but I can't percieve how the growth would happen there just yet. I'd much rather see Portland, Oregon step up a few levels where it should be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or