U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 05:36 PM

1,561 posts, read 1,350,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
The first winter was magical. I had never seen anything like the snowy landscape except in movies. The second and third winters were substantially less magical.

I had to laugh when I read your post.....having been born and raised in the coldest part of the coldest state in the United States (Minnesota) and having lived here for 49 years....ya, the first few were magical when I was a kid. As a young adult they were "OK" and now as an aging adult they are getting waaaaay less "magical" then they used to be....lol. I've likened our extended winters to spending 6 or more months in a "black and white world. You look outside and all you see is white snow....and everthing else is shades of grey...just like B/W TV in the old days...lol It does get very old after a while.

We have our youngest daughter in her first year of college......she knows the year after she's done with college, we're "outa here for someplace warmer.

I just hope that all the folks on this posting who are moving north since they don't like it down south will create some real cheap housing down South for us to get a real deal....lol. Somehow though I think it's a small meandering stream from south to north and a freaking raging river from north to south. At least that's what I've observed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 05:48 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,966,090 times
Default We have both a condo and a house in South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I had to laugh when I read your post.....having been born and raised in the coldest part of the coldest state in the United States (Minnesota) and having lived here for 49 years....ya, the first few were magical when I was a kid. As a young adult they were "OK" and now as an aging adult they are getting waaaaay less "magical" then they used to be....lol. I've likened our extended winters to spending 6 or more months in a "black and white world. You look outside and all you see is white snow....and everthing else is shades of grey...just like B/W TV in the old days...lol It does get very old after a while.

We have our youngest daughter in her first year of college......she knows the year after she's done with college, we're "outa here for someplace warmer.

I just hope that all the folks on this posting who are moving north since they don't like it down south will create some real cheap housing down South for us to get a real deal....lol. Somehow though I think it's a small meandering stream from south to north and a freaking raging river from north to south. At least that's what I've observed.
Sound good to you? I have to get out of "warm" Florida and go back to "cold" NY. I've been here two years and cannot take it anymore. I am 60 years old, so age has nothing to do with it. I cannot take one more minute of "warm" weather.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:08 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I don't know your family, but do you seriously think they would move just for you? Isn't it unreasonable to expect them to move to be closer to you when you moved further away from them?
Well only close family I have is my mom and dad and they are divorced... only reason they were here is for other reasons still. My dad probably won't move, but retiring soon so who knows, he is more stuck in his ways, my mom and stepdad wouldn't mind at all, in fact they suggested it themselves, hence my post. The only reason they were are still here is because they are dealing with a huge long lawsuit over my grandfathers property/inheritance and was stationed at Eglin AFB. Most of my dads side of the family lives in Alabama and even he doesn't go up there anymore...
Maybe I think it was unreasonable for them to move to Florida in the first place when I was a kid
They can stay in vacationland if they want but I need to start a career and life of my own and FL is not the place lol.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:43 PM

1,561 posts, read 1,350,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Sound good to you? I have to get out of "warm" Florida and go back to "cold" NY. I've been here two years and cannot take it anymore. I am 60 years old, so age has nothing to do with it. I cannot take one more minute of "warm" weather.

Well, we're not talking apples to apples here. A winter on the iron range of Minnesota would make NY seem like a very mild climate. If you look on those color coded temp maps the weather men show you ever night TV....seem what color NY is compared to Northern Minnesota :-)

I'm sure NY has cold weather, but trust me, it is nothing compared to what we have here. It seems ever winter we have 4 or 5 days in a row where the temps never break zero....as in they never get above zero. I doubt NY has that....but if I'm wrong please correct me :-)

On a second note, I don't blame you for leaving Florida though. I've been to Florida a number of times and that humidity along with warm weather can be difficult. I much prefer the more arid southwest US where you can break a hundred degrees and with the humidity below 10 percent it's actually not all that bad....and that's the "bad" season.....sheesh....must be nice.

I'll add a quick florida story for anyone interested. My wife and daughter and I were in Florida a few years ago and it was a rainy day so we decided to head out shopping and maybe hit a movie. So we're in line to get tickets and my wife and daughter are ahead of me in the ticket line. First thing, there is a gal (hispanic) with a baby stroller behind me...she proceeds to keep running the stroller into the back of my heel/leg to the point where it started to be irritating. She must have done this 8 or 10 times and I guess my irritation was showing because this nice middle age man in the next line over looked over at me and said he noticed what was happening and that I should not take it personally and just let it go because it's just the culture around Miami that it's "all about me" and nobody else really matters....manners are not all that high up on the list of valuable personal qualities aparantly. He mentioned that he was from Wisconsin and had lived in Miami for quite some time and he said that was one of the things that took him the longest to get used to....the lack of public manners.

Second, we're still in the movie line mentioned above. It's a rainy day and aparantly everyone else had the same idea because the line is long. Ok, no problem, I understand lines. We (wife, dauthter and me) finally get up the the front of the line, the guy in front of me get's his ticket and leaves. The clerk looks at me and says, "sorry, I have to close my window, you'll have to get in another line". At this point I'm pissed. I've been hit with a baby stroller numerous times...and now after waiting for 10 minutues you're closing right when I get to the front of the line. At this point, Wisconsin man (referenced above also) comes to the rescue again. He is at the next window exactly at the same time and he hears this going on and offers to buy our tickets and we can just pay him. We take him up on his offer and merrily go in to see Spiderman.....but geez, it does make you wonder about society, both business and personal.

Last edited by jasper1372; 03-14-2009 at 06:59 PM..

Old 03-14-2009, 07:33 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,966,090 times
Default Nice post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Well, we're not talking apples to apples here. A winter on the iron range of Minnesota would make NY seem like a very mild climate. If you look on those color coded temp maps the weather men show you ever night TV....seem what color NY is compared to Northern Minnesota :-)

I'm sure NY has cold weather, but trust me, it is nothing compared to what we have here. It seems ever winter we have 4 or 5 days in a row where the temps never break zero....as in they never get above zero. I doubt NY has that....but if I'm wrong please correct me :-)

On a second note, I don't blame you for leaving Florida though. I've been to Florida a number of times and that humidity along with warm weather can be difficult. I much prefer the more arid southwest US where you can break a hundred degrees and with the humidity below 10 percent it's actually not all that bad....and that's the "bad" season.....sheesh....must be nice.

I'll add a quick florida story for anyone interested. My wife and daughter and I were in Florida a few years ago and it was a rainy day so we decided to head out shopping and maybe hit a movie. So we're in line to get tickets and my wife and daughter are ahead of me in the ticket line. First thing, there is a gal (hispanic) with a baby stroller behind me...she proceeds to keep running the stroller into the back of my heel/leg to the point where it started to be irritating. She must have done this 8 or 10 times and I guess my irritation was showing because this nice middle age man in the next line over looked over at me and said he noticed what was happening and that I should not take it personally and just let it go because it's just the culture around Miami that it's "all about me" and nobody else really matters....manners are not all that high up on the list of valuable personal qualities aparantly. He mentioned that he was from Wisconsin and had lived in Miami for quite some time and he said that was one of the things that took him the longest to get used to....the lack of public manners.

Second, we're still in the movie line mentioned above. It's a rainy day and aparantly everyone else had the same idea because the line is long. Ok, no problem, I understand lines. We (wife, dauthter and me) finally get up the the front of the line, the guy in front of me get's his ticket and leaves. The clerk looks at me and says, "sorry, I have to close my window, you'll have to get in another line". At this point I'm pissed. I've been hit with a baby stroller numerous times...and now after waiting for 10 minutues you're closing right when I get to the front of the line. At this point, Wisconsin man (referenced above also) comes to the rescue again. He is at the next window exactly at the same time and he hears this going on and offers to buy our tickets and we can just pay him. We take him up on his offer and merrily go in to see Spiderman.....but geez, it does make you wonder about society, both business and personal.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:32 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
I really don't know if I could take the summers further south again. One of the reasons why I left the Kansas City area was because the climate was much to hot for my liking. I like having actual winters and low temperatures in the 40s and 50s during the summer

Old 03-14-2009, 09:37 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,271,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Yeah but in this case, "north" = "Georgia/the Carolinas."
that is true in some cases
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I'm in Boston, and currently work with 3 guys who moved up here from Florida for IT work.
there is a prime examply
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
People that move to Florida then move to Tennessee. They don't move all the way to the North but they move halfway back to the North, and that's why they're called halfbacks.
Great Answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I really don't know if I could take the summers further south again. One of the reasons why I left the Kansas City area was because the climate was much to hot for my liking. I like having actual winters and low temperatures in the 40s and 50s during the summer

We are alike. I love low temps in the 40's and 50's during the summer!

Old 03-15-2009, 06:33 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,947,519 times
Where are there low temps of 40's and 50's in the summer???? I'd freeze!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:29 AM

893 posts, read 2,517,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Where are there low temps of 40's and 50's in the summer???? I'd freeze!
Imagine the low temps in the winter for those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.