U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2009, 08:26 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 10,044,591 times
Reputation: 2334

Advertisements

To the people that did a South to North migration: How did you ever get used to the cold weather? I've lived in the North all my life and haven't gotten used to it. Or did you hate it and end up moving back South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2009, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,230,919 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
A lot of people dont want country cooking, southern accents and bluegrass stations..... I am one of them

Me too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,488 posts, read 16,146,115 times
Reputation: 5632
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
To the people that did a South to North migration: How did you ever get used to the cold weather? I've lived in the North all my life and haven't gotten used to it. Or did you hate it and end up moving back South?
The cold has never bothered me at all. In fact, I enjoy it very much. Granted, New Jersey isn't nearly as cold as parts of the upper Midwest or northern New England.

I live and work in areas where it's easier to walk to most things. So I walk several miles on the streets every day. On the coldest of cold days (temps near 0 F are rare, but happen), I'm just sure I wear long johns, wool pants, a couple of shirts, a sweater, a coat, knit cap, scarf, my warmest gloves, my warmest socks, and my warm snow boots. With all of that stuff on, I can walk miles in single digit weather and I don't shiver once.

I actually enjoy winter in New Jersey more than winter in Virginia. At least we get snow in New Jersey. Virginia winters were cold, wet, rainy and gray. There aren't as many opportunities to go sledding, skiing, ice skating, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 10:45 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 10,044,591 times
Reputation: 2334
Maybe the weather you like has nothing to do with where you grew up. I grew up in the North and hate the cold. It sounds like some Southerners like the cold. I guess if you like the cold, it wouldn't be hard to get used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 10:51 AM
 
4,465 posts, read 7,015,336 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Out of curiosity how many ppl here have done or will do a reverse migration. In other words moving up north from the south?
.

Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 01:45 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 4,921,131 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Maybe the weather you like has nothing to do with where you grew up. I grew up in the North and hate the cold. It sounds like some Southerners like the cold. I guess if you like the cold, it wouldn't be hard to get used to.
Down here snow is a special thing and when we get it we it's like some holiday. I'm sure you'd love SC, FL, GA, LA, or MS winters because we actually hit 60 sometimes and the sun's shining (in Atlanta it was 20 something and freezing Mon but it was spring-like on Friday). I know the type of clothes needed up there so I'd be happy to have a good snow-ball fight up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 01:48 PM
 
6,046 posts, read 10,044,591 times
Reputation: 2334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Down here snow is a special thing and when we get it we it's like some holiday. I'm sure you'd love SC, FL, GA, LA, or MS winters because we actually hit 60 sometimes and the sun's shining (in Atlanta it was 20 something and freezing Mon but it was spring-like on Friday). I know the type of clothes needed up there so I'd be happy to have a good snow-ball fight up there.
I actually am leaving New England within a year and Louisiana is an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 09:03 AM
 
3,326 posts, read 7,746,185 times
Reputation: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
To the people that did a South to North migration: How did you ever get used to the cold weather? I've lived in the North all my life and haven't gotten used to it. Or did you hate it and end up moving back South?
Some of us just don't like the weather where we grew up. I lived in the south most of my life, and pretty much hibernated half the year because it was just too hot. Obviously, air conditioning is a factor in the south's growth. Like that's going to keep people active and fit. There's a reason that a vast majority of the most obese cities in America are in the south. Southern cooking, and lack of exercise.. because it's just too hot to even go walking. In the north, you can always bundle up enough to go for a walk, cross-country ski, or whatever.
Then there's the environmentalist's view that air conditioning is bad, even though many of those types insist on living in the south.. in the air conditioning.

I don't live that far north yet, but where I'm at now does get down below 10 pretty frequently, and 0 from time to time. It's not that bad. I can always wear enough clothes to stay warm, but can't get naked enough to stay cool in the hot summer. My only complaint is that it's not cold enough long enough, and there's not enough snow.. the things that make winter worth-while. I hope to go further north someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 09:12 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 10,044,591 times
Reputation: 2334
I disagree with the theory that you can always put on more clothes. I am cold no matter how much clothing I wear. More clothing just makes the cold more bearable, but still uncomfortable. One of my biggest complaints about winter is that I can always subconsciously feel a coldness in the air, even when inside a warm house. I hibernate half the year because it's too cold. I would be much more active if I lived somewhere warm because I would enjoy being outside. But I realize everyone is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 09:17 AM
 
7,281 posts, read 13,520,136 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
To the people that did a South to North migration: How did you ever get used to the cold weather? I've lived in the North all my life and haven't gotten used to it. Or did you hate it and end up moving back South?
The cold doesn't really bother me. The length of the winter and the darkness get to me moreso. I just console myself by doing something fun I wouldn't be able to do back home. Like... pretty much anything related to art, culture, music etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top