U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:47 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,283,883 times

Advertisements

Took my daughter sledding for the first time yesterday. We both had a great time. Never had the opportunity to go sledding growing up in Alabama. Then in the evening we went into Chicago and met some friends to go swing dancing. Couldn't do that in Alabama either (except maybe country line dancing.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 02:21 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,271,024 times
from what I have been reading on the Florida Forum alot of people are unhappy there and are starting to move North.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:38 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,045,996 times
Yes, but a lot of those people never should have moved to Florida in the first place. They knew what they were getting into, or at least they should have.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:49 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,714,369 times
Yes, from Texas to DC, and from Texas to WY. I liked the formal attitude, and transportation in DC, and loved the more conservative, outdoorsy, peaceful, ranch type lifestyle in WY., but hated the weather in the winter. I moved back to Texas because im a Texan. I also lived in Cape May, NJ. liked it but was always busy so didn't get to enjoy it that much although I hear it's south of the Mason\Dixon line but it's north to me.

Would I ever do it again? Possibly to a more conservative state than Texas like Montana, or South Dakota, but not to New England, no way Jose!! Fun to visit, but if I lived there too long I'd go crazy. I gotta be out on the ranch where I can hear coyotes, shoot guns, ride motorcycles, make bonfires, fish, hunt, etc.... the city life is for those with tolerance, and good attitudes, and I don't fit that bill...lol.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Yes, but a lot of those people never should have moved to Florida in the first place. They knew what they were getting into, or at least they should have.

true. Alot of people think they can just move to Florida to escape the cold
temperatures of the North and everything will go away. I also have heard from friends and relatives who used to or currently live in Florida that they note one key difference. Lack of Seasons and the constant High Humidity. But I do agree if you are going to move somewhere else you need to assimilate and know what you are getting yourself into.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:54 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,045,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
true. Alot of people think they can just move to Florida to escape the cold
temperatures of the North and everything will go away. I also have heard from friends and relatives who used to or currently live in Florida that they note one key difference. Lack of Seasons and the constant High Humidity. But I do agree if you are going to move somewhere else you need to assimilate and know what you are getting yourself into.
I was thinking more along the lines of people that hate the heat but move to Florida anyway. It's no shock that those type of people end up miserable in Florida. I hate the cold and I would never move somewhere like North Dakota or Wisconsin because I would know what I was getting myself into.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of people that hate the heat but move to Florida anyway. It's no shock that those type of people end up miserable in Florida. I hate the cold and I would never move somewhere like North Dakota or Wisconsin because I would know what I was getting myself into.

That is also valid. It certainly isnt a shock for people to end up miserable in Florida.I love the Cold ( I know I am a odd ball) and would never move South to Florida or Georgia because I know what I would be getting myself into

Old 01-25-2009, 04:56 PM

3,667 posts, read 8,768,305 times
I moved from TN to AZ, then to GA and ultimately to the NYC area, where I've lived for 8 years now. I'm definitely more in love with warmer weather, but culture, energy, and excitement is all here.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:59 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,630,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
That is also valid. It certainly isnt a shock for people to end up miserable in Florida.I love the Cold ( I know I am a odd ball) and would never move South to Florida or Georgia because I know what I would be getting myself into
Yes, I love the cold too. I could never see myself either moving to a place like Florida or south Texas. The constant heat and humidity would get to me. I'll be migrating northwest from where I am in Illinois to North Dakota. Let's just say I will be very disappointed if the first winter I experience in North Dakota is mild.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:17 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,118,885 times
I have. I moved from Miami to New Jersey. Some people might think that Miami is not a Southern city, however, when I left, it was.

I would live in the South again, especially North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.