U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:44 AM

3,073 posts, read 5,446,091 times

Advertisements

I personally LOVE hot weather. I love to see those 90's in the forecast on the rare occasions that we get them in June, July and August in Michigan.

However... friends and family will always trump weather for me. I can't quite get myself to move to a place just for weather or scenery that I like a little bit better. I was born here by chance, but I'm not moving because of the weather. Anyone else feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 06:13 AM

3,428 posts, read 9,247,689 times
I'd certainly consider it, although I don't have any specific city or metropolis in mind. Something in the mountains might be nice.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:42 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,198,481 times
I have seriously considered it. I wonder about things.. whether or not the long winters would be a major problem, if my southern accent (and degree from a southern school) would hold me back professionally, and whether or not I need to go up there, necessarily, for better access to cultural activities.

I can appreciate what the different places have to offer, but I guess there isn't any one certain place up north I am interested in. If I was going to leave the south in search of greener pastures, I'd just as soon consider Canada, Australia, or somewhere in Europe where I can continue to speak only English.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:45 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,044,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I personally LOVE hot weather. I love to see those 90's in the forecast on the rare occasions that we get them in June, July and August in Michigan.

However... friends and family will always trump weather for me. I can't quite get myself to move to a place just for weather or scenery that I like a little bit better. I was born here by chance, but I'm not moving because of the weather. Anyone else feel this way?
I like the rare days in the 90s too (I wish there were more of them). I don't understand why anyone complains about them. Even if they don't like them, they should just be happy they don't have to see much of them.

But I have to disagree on the moving issues. Weather trumps family with me. I was born in New England by chance and I certainly don't have to stay here. It doesn't matter how much family I have here; I don't want to live somewhere I hate just to be near them. I only have a few relatives that are even worth seeing anyway.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,714,197 times
I think the HOT weather is the number one factor for staying in the south for me. I love having 3 to 5 months of 90's, and a good half month to month of 100+. I also like December, and January temperatures in the 70's, and 80's!!!

Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,927,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
I think the HOT weather is the number one factor for staying in the south for me. I love having 3 to 5 months of 90's, and a good half month to month of 100+. I also like December, and January temperatures in the 70's, and 80's!!!
I live in the northwoods and anything above 85F is very hot to me

Old 01-26-2009, 10:27 PM

880 posts, read 2,529,128 times
I wish I could move back to New England! I am tired of all of the upper 90's to 100 degree weather in GA. It gives me headaches, and unlike the cold, you can't ajust with layers to fit your comfort level. You either go inside all day or sweat like crazy and get headaches!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:54 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,921,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
I wish I could move back to New England! I am tired of all of the upper 90's to 100 degree weather in GA. It gives me headaches, and unlike the cold, you can't adjust with layers to fit your comfort level. You either go inside all day or sweat like crazy and get headaches!
I get those migraines here too, they're no joke. My blood has been thickened from living in those TN mountains for six years so I'm thinking of doing another move (that's just one reason though) but family and wanting to see my city reach another level is keeping me here for a little while. Do you plan on moving back to your home state?

Old 01-27-2009, 03:43 PM

774 posts, read 1,695,525 times
I love 90 degree days. Fortunately, there are plenty of them around here. Like a previous poster, I also love 70 and 80 degrees in December and January.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:51 PM

1,244 posts, read 2,984,745 times
Quote:
if my southern accent (and degree from a southern school) would hold me back professionally
I seriously doubt it! If anything, it would also get you dates!

what is your field?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.