U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 05:20 PM

469 posts, read 2,558,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
To the people that did a South to North migration: How did you ever get used to the cold weather? I've lived in the North all my life and haven't gotten used to it. Or did you hate it and end up moving back South?
The first winter was magical. I had never seen anything like the snowy landscape except in movies. The second and third winters were substantially less magical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 06:29 PM

880 posts, read 2,533,021 times
I would like to move back to New Hampshire, but not to sure I could afford it. Might look into NC Triange area though.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:31 PM

20,868 posts, read 36,017,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
I would like to move back to New Hampshire, but not to sure I could afford it. Might look into NC Triange area though.
NH can be expensive, but the overall tax burden is still far less than other states in the northeast. The economy, however, has seen a downturn like many other states.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:49 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,350,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
There's a reason that a vast majority of the most obese cities in America are in the south. Southern cooking, and lack of exercise.. because it's just too hot to even go walking.
I'll give you the food, but come on, it can get just as hot in the North in the summertime as portions of the South. The second reason would be lack of walkable urban areas and effective mass transit systems/over-reliance on the automobile.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:52 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,350,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
from what I have been reading on the Florida Forum alot of people are unhappy there and are starting to move North.
Yeah but in this case, "north" = "Georgia/the Carolinas."

Old 03-08-2009, 11:59 PM

804 posts, read 1,738,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
I wish I could move back to New England! I am tired of all of the upper 90's to 100 degree weather in GA. It gives me headaches, and unlike the cold, you can't ajust with layers to fit your comfort level. You either go inside all day or sweat like crazy and get headaches!
Magnesium Citrate may help with the headaches.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:07 AM

2,568 posts, read 5,062,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
from what I have been reading on the Florida Forum alot of people are unhappy there and are starting to move North.
I'm in Boston, and currently work with 3 guys who moved up here from Florida for IT work.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:11 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,985,505 times
Default Or just going back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Yeah but in this case, "north" = "Georgia/the Carolinas."
to where they came from up north.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:19 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,169,119 times
I'm sure it's not news to anyone here, but we get a huge number of what are being dubbed "halfbacks" moving to metro Atlanta & North Georgia, North & South Carolina and Tennessee from Florida.

There are a lot of people that are leaving Florida, but more are settling in the states I mentioned than are returning to the "true" Northern states. Georgia's largest inflow used to be New York, it is now Florida.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:39 PM

48,303 posts, read 45,597,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I'm sure it's not news to anyone here, but we get a huge number of what are being dubbed "halfbacks" moving to metro Atlanta & North Georgia, North & South Carolina and Tennessee from Florida.

There are a lot of people that are leaving Florida, but more are settling in the states I mentioned than are returning to the "true" Northern states. Georgia's largest inflow used to be New York, it is now Florida.
What are "halfbacks"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.