Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:46 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
What are "halfbacks"?
People that move to Florida then move to Tennessee. They don't move all the way to the North but they move halfway back to the North, and that's why they're called halfbacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 02:47 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
What are "halfbacks"?
Northerners leaving Florida to go "half way back" to the North, I believe.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:22 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
People that move to Florida then move to Tennessee.
Or Georgia, the Carolinas, or Virginia.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Florida to Chicago, and also California... back in FL for a bit now, but will go back to Chicago again and can't wait to leave. As far as weather the FL summer is probably worse than a northern winter after careful consideration...
To me it is definitely more of a culture thing though (i.e. the south, yes NorFla is pretty much south alabama), cities up north just have a lot more to offer and different style of life. Would have never came back if didn't have family here though and will still leave anyway and just have to have them move closer to me, or vacation down here. Not trying to hate on many but just way too many rednecks here to get used to, way too much religion, way too much "good ol boys" etc.

Last edited by grapico; 03-14-2009 at 03:35 PM..

Old 03-14-2009, 04:27 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Moved back to NY in 1971 from Florida (6 months). When I move back again (soon I hope), it will be all the way back again. Never want to set foot in this state ever again.

I never wanted to really to go Florida the first time, let alone the second. I suppose my situation is not the usual.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Florida to Chicago, and also California... back in FL for a bit now, but will go back to Chicago again and can't wait to leave. As far as weather the FL summer is probably worse than a northern winter after careful consideration...
To me it is definitely more of a culture thing though (i.e. the south, yes NorFla is pretty much south alabama), cities up north just have a lot more to offer and different style of life. Would have never came back if didn't have family here though and will still leave anyway and just have to have them move closer to me, or vacation down here. Not trying to hate on many but just way too many rednecks here to get used to, way too much religion, way too much "good ol boys" etc.
I don't know your family, but do you seriously think they would move just for you? Isn't it unreasonable to expect them to move to be closer to you when you moved further away from them?

Old 03-14-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Moved back to NY in 1971 from Florida (6 months). When I move back again (soon I hope), it will be all the way back again. Never want to set foot in this state ever again.

I never wanted to really to go Florida the first time, let alone the second. I suppose my situation is not the usual.
I know why you moved the 2nd time, but why did you move to Florida the 1st time?

Old 03-14-2009, 05:20 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default For a BF who was from Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I know why you moved the 2nd time, but why did you move to Florida the 1st time?
The second time (now) for my husband who got a job here. Don't move anywhere for somebody else unless YOU yourself want to go there. It just won't work.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:23 PM

893 posts, read 2,863,313 times
For the people who moved north. Was it hard dealing with the grit, gray, and oldness of everything?

Old 03-14-2009, 05:24 PM

The bigger problem (among the people I know at least) is staying somewhere for someone else. I know a lot of people that pick a college nearby based on a girlfriend or boyfriend. Maybe not all of them would rather go far away, but I know someone that wanted to go far away and stayed nearby because his girlfriend made him (and then dumped him shortly after). Now he's miserable all because he let his girlfriend pick a college for him.

Moving somewhere for someone else is just as bad if you don't want to move, but I don't know as many people that did that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.