U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for young professional?
New York City 15 17.65%
Chicago 19 22.35%
Los Angeles 2 2.35%
Atlanta 2 2.35%
San Francisco 4 4.71%
Washington DC 2 2.35%
Philadelphia 4 4.71%
Boston 2 2.35%
Miami 1 1.18%
Dallas 1 1.18%
Seattle 6 7.06%
Houston 14 16.47%
Charlotte 4 4.71%
Other? 9 10.59%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2008, 08:52 AM

5,969 posts, read 7,743,366 times

Advertisements

Which major city do you believe is the best all around city for a young professional starting out and why?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 09:13 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,236,781 times
NY, but it's also the hardest city to be a young professional in this day and age. You increase your odds getting a job if you grew up in the area, but there are a lot of transplants looking for jobs. But I still say NY since it offers the most money for jobs, for one. My fiance and I are in our mid 20s and make over 100k together; we wouldn't be this successful in many other cities. NY has some of the best entertainment for young professionals too.

Like they say, if you can make it in NY, you can make it anywhere.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:50 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,388,203 times
Depends on what your looking for but I would say NY or DC would be the best. They are very fast paced cities with lots of competition so if your up for the challenge I would give it a try. Like Rachael sais there is lots of great entertainment.

While you will make more money in NY/DC than other cities, the cost of living still outweighs the extra pay. Your money does not go as far. A studio apt in Manhattan can cost you $1200 which is a bed and a toilet.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:25 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,042,083 times
Most of the young professional hotspots are very difficult environments to find employment because there are so many college graduates trying to get jobs there. Believe me, I tried very very hard to relocate but I just couldn't compete when there were thousands of applicants for one open position and I had just an average resume. If you have a killer resume, then go for an Austin or a NYC, but if not your best bet is to think outside the box. Don't overlook smaller places that still have "things to do" for young people (Des Moines, Baton Rouge, Omaha, OKC, and Fayetteville, AR are a few that come to mind). It will be MUCH easier to find employment there and you can get some experience, and you can move on later if you don't like it.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:42 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,206,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Which major city do you believe is the best all around city for a young professional starting out and why?
In this economy, it's the first city that's going to offer him a job.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:56 PM

8,031 posts, read 7,633,779 times
These days, wherever they can get a job...

Old 12-13-2008, 01:07 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,349,887 times
Manhattan for finance

SiliconValley for tech and finance

Chicago for perhaps world's best-balanced economy

Generally shrewd to hang out where a lot of very smart, industrious guys choose to live/work....these are regions where lucrative, IQ-based industries are based...and where guys start new companies needing workers, e.g., Manhattan and Greenwich's many new hedge funds.....or SiliconValley's many new tech start-ups....and less accomplished people can always find work in the many legal, accounting, etc firms that serve the more high-powered local industries

Old 12-13-2008, 02:42 PM

3,597 posts, read 7,705,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
NY, but it's also the hardest city to be a young professional in this day and age. You increase your odds getting a job if you grew up in the area, but there are a lot of transplants looking for jobs. But I still say NY since it offers the most money for jobs, for one. My fiance and I are in our mid 20s and make over 100k together; we wouldn't be this successful in many other cities. NY has some of the best entertainment for young professionals too.

Like they say, if you can make it in NY, you can make it anywhere.
I'd like to point out that even were two people making over $100k, it still amounts to very little in New York City.

If I were to move there, and with my job I certainly could, I'd be making over $400,000 in after tax income and it still wouldn't mean a whole lot.

If you aren't looking to ever own or really "live" someplace for a long period of time, New York or San Francisco are awesome places for young professionals.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:18 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,375,081 times
I started out as a young professional in the Philadelphia area as a transplant from West Virginia. Culture shock anyone?
Philly and the area is tough but rewarding. You cut your teeth handling that area to NYC everything else will be cake. Now, 20+ years down the road and living in Atlanta, I work everyday to go back. I miss it that much!

Old 12-13-2008, 03:44 PM

2,015 posts, read 5,005,214 times
Well I went to D.C. after college and of course lotsa federal jobs with high wages, great public transportation system, very lively young crowd and a benefit for me was D.C. is known to have more women than men! But all that said, it was pricey and not just pricey but over-priced as D.C. just isn't the best managed city. In other words for the price that you pay I felt it was missing something and coming from Colorado I felt it missed the great outdoors specifically and some sort of more down-to-earth vibe than metro vibe, the top 5 cities I would suggest are Denver, Austin, Charlotte, Raleigh, Twin Cities slightly more affordable than DC/LA/NY/CHI with a booming population and a skip away from the great outdoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or