U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2008, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Augusta GA
880 posts, read 2,530,507 times
Reputation: 357

Advertisements

I have met quite a few rednecks in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2008, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
5,522 posts, read 12,289,371 times
Reputation: 3827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
I remember growing up in Chicago's Bridgeport neighborhood on the south side (early 1990's), one of the only few dominantly white (Irish) neighborhood's on the south side (most neighborhoods are predominately black, and ghetto at that). My dad today always said he never thought white ghettos existed in inner cities until he moved to Birdgeport. He said across the street from where we lived there were rednecks that were more redneck and hillbilly-ish than anybody from any rural area he had ever met. He said they sat out on the porch all day, harrassing women and minorities, and fighting with people, while swigging... you guessed it... Jack Daniels. We actually moved out of the neighborhood when my dad, while coming from work, saw one of the hicks pull up to the house in a stolen car, and when the some police on foot went after the car he put it in reverse, backed up and then began to drive the car directly at the cops nearly hitting them and running into a street lamp. The cops managed to jump out the way, and being extremely pissed off (one cop kept screaming "he tried to run me over! he tried to run me over!"), went up to his car, pulled him out, and beat the living crap out of him, within an inch of his life. The cops then approached my dad and told him that if he were forced to testify, he has to say it was a car accident,and threatened him if said otherwise. I think that was the final straw, and it wasn't long before we left Bridgeport. The neighborhood is pretty different now, but yes, there are still hillbillies and hicks in the inner cities and in the Bridgeport neighborhood too. It's slowly starting to change though for hillbillies, gang bangers and blue collar folk of all types in big cities, with gentrification and all these days.
Its a darn shame neighbors like this are disappearing and being replaced by yuppies and Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 04:03 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,506,025 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Its a darn shame neighbors like this are disappearing and being replaced by yuppies and Starbucks.
It's sad that many low-income areas replete with social problems are being replaced? It's certainly not sad to me. There are plenty of solidly working-to-middle class city neighborhoods that don't have all the social problems that he just described... No city in this country is even close to being "all yuppie," SF included, and NYC not even by a long shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
5,522 posts, read 12,289,371 times
Reputation: 3827
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
It's sad that many low-income areas replete with social problems are being replaced? It's certainly not sad to me. There are plenty of solidly working-to-middle class city neighborhoods that don't have all the social problems that he just described... No city in this country is even close to being "all yuppie," SF included, and NYC not even by a long shot.
Sorry, this was an inside joke for Banx. Ask him for an explanation. As a certified member of the Venerable Order of Yuppie Scum, I agree wtih you entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Denver
692 posts, read 2,420,647 times
Reputation: 365
Well.. a lot of truckers can be red necks, so yeah every major city has em.
Chicago used to have a lot of hillbillies back in the day but they usually lit
out in the winter, back to a decent climate. If you happen to be looking for some check a 24 hr diner with a grill and maybe a back room with casino machines; also look for the bars with Gran Torinos and El Caminos
for these fun loving folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,802,779 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I really never seen a redneck in Chicago, unless you consider Bridgeport.
Once driving down Cicero Ave. towards Midway I saw a home in a residential neighborhood with a Confederate flag hanging from a pole in the front yard. I was shocked given the demographics of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 05:58 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,273,490 times
Reputation: 2782
Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post
Well.. a lot of truckers can be red necks, so yeah every major city has em.
Chicago used to have a lot of hillbillies back in the day but they usually lit
out in the winter, back to a decent climate. If you happen to be looking for some check a 24 hr diner with a grill and maybe a back room with casino machines; also look for the bars with Gran Torinos and El Caminos
for these fun loving folks.
There is just no shortage of ignorance in this forum...hillbillies back to a decent climate? So you believe that hillbillies come from where - somewhere SOUTH of Chicago I would assume. Dude, they come from all around Chicago and within Chicago...so don't place their origin in the South, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 05:59 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,273,490 times
Reputation: 2782
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Once driving down Cicero Ave. towards Midway I saw a home in a residential neighborhood with a Confederate flag hanging from a pole in the front yard. I was shocked given the demographics of the area.
And you assumed that was the home of a redneck? It may have very well been the home of a member of the Aryan Nation...or a Nazi...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Denver
692 posts, read 2,420,647 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
There is just no shortage of ignorance in this forum...hillbillies back to a decent climate? So you believe that hillbillies come from where - somewhere SOUTH of Chicago I would assume. Dude, they come from all around Chicago and within Chicago...so don't place their origin in the South, please.
Yup yup sho enuf forgot about all them hills in the city.
Bigger then the blessed Appalachians I suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,802,779 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
And you assumed that was the home of a redneck? It may have very well been the home of a member of the Aryan Nation...or a Nazi...
Nothing more than a redneck in a uniform, IMO. Besides, if you know the demographics of that area, then you know that such a person would be a big-time minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top