Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:55 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,295 times

Advertisements

People from the Atlanta suburbs from my personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 04:56 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
I don't share the general perception that New Yorkers are rude or unfriendly. They may be more "assertive" or straightforward than the average American, but that's got nothing to do with unfriendliness.

Some of the arguments I've heard to back up those allegations are that people don't wave at you from their cars or greet you in the street.

Frankly if I was walking down a Manhattan street and saw a driver waving at people like a madman I would think he's deranged. Similarly it would be awkward, to say the least, greeting every one of the the thousands people you walk by in the street. I think some people really don't have a sense of context and scale.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:18 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
When I worked at hotels in Orlando, nobody wanted to check in anybody from Joisey, Boston or NYC.

They always wanted 5 star treatment at a budget hotel.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:42 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Washington DC
Los Angeles
Miami
Montreal

I've always thought that the 'rudeness of NY'ers' was overstated.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:54 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
I don't share the general perception that New Yorkers are rude or unfriendly. They may be more "assertive" or straightforward than the average American, but that's got nothing to do with unfriendliness.

Some of the arguments I've heard to back up those allegations are that people don't wave at you from their cars or greet you in the street.
Once when I was visiting someone in Staten Island I had garbage thrown at me from a car,though this was during Yankee playoffs so maybe it was just some more classless sports freaks.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:31 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post

Frankly if I was walking down a Manhattan street and saw a driver waving at people like a madman I would think he's deranged. Similarly it would be awkward, to say the least, greeting every one of the the thousands people you walk by in the street. I think some people really don't have a sense of context and scale.
I would NEVER wave to someone while driving a car, anywhere, unless I knew the person. If I were walking on the street in a small town and made contact with someone, however, I would nod or smile. When I am visiting my parents in suburban Miami and pass someone on the street I nod or smile as well. It feels strange to completely ignore someone's presense when you and s/he are the only people out on the street. Here in NYC, however, you pass so many people on the street that it simply would be impractical to greet all of them. For this reason, the norm is to not acknowledge the presence of others unless there is some kind of out-of-the-ordinary event like the subway being broken down or a car accident or fire. I don't talk to people I don't know on the street unless I have a reason to ask them something.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:23 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thhour View Post
hmm, based on my experiences, i'd say it's a toss up between newark and l.a.
newark in the house!!

Old 12-20-2008, 02:36 PM

208 posts, read 605,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
When I worked at hotels in Orlando, nobody wanted to check in anybody from Joisey, Boston or NYC.

They always wanted 5 star treatment at a budget hotel.
My very first job was at a hotel in Orlando. The stories I could tell.

It was so bad, even some of the front desk who were native New Yorkers didn't want to check in New Yorkers..lol.

You left out Philly. They were difficult guests too.

I actually found most of the New Jersey guests polite.

Boston guests were a mixture of nice and down right mean.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:23 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
You left out Philly. They were difficult guests too.
For the most part usually.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:25 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
Tempted to say NY, but I'll say DC ... quite a few folks on their high horses with their noses way up in the air either due to money or affiliation, whatever it is, it's sort of the talk of the town if you actually live there who you know, where you work and how much money you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.