U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 08:34 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,328,897 times

Advertisements

^ you mean the people who moved to DC who think they're Washingtonians? yea id agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 11:04 PM

311 posts, read 454,191 times
Default What do you mean by "Attitude"

Ok, here is my beef:
I live in New York, and I am sick and tired of hearing about the "NY Attitude"
What do people mean by that?
I never find New Yorkers to be rude! in fact, the Reader's Digest once had a survay of all cities in the world and NY ranked #1 in politeness.
NY has the most people say please and thank-you, most people open doors or hold them open for you. so where do people get this idea that people in NY have "Attitude"?
Someone, please explain this. I cannot compare this to any other city myself, unfortunately. so I will need the help of well traveled people.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:06 PM

311 posts, read 454,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Besides NYC, which cities are filled with people full of "Attitude"?
I don't know

Old 12-20-2008, 11:07 PM

567 posts, read 1,345,952 times
Any major city in CA.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:16 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,913,019 times
I've only been to NYC once and everyone I had any contact with was nice it seemed. I didn't find the super friendliness you'll find in the small towns in Montana but nobody was snippy or rude at all, just busy as heck as are many city folks.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:07 AM

27 posts, read 73,076 times
I grew up in a couple small towns in the midwest. Over the years I'd heard about people in NYC being rude. So, I grew up thinking that it wouldn't be fun to travel there. But my first trip was great and people were friendly. I found the same experience with Paris. Heard that they're very rude and found that they were actually pretty friendly there, so I don't know why it gets the rap it does either.

As rickers said, I think it's just people are busy and don't have the time to "chat." But I prefer that.

I am now living in another small town and I've found more "attitude" here then most places I've lived in or traveled to.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:08 AM

304 posts, read 829,266 times
its always "southerners" complaining about attitude.. who the hell waves at people in their car unless its like a hot chick? lollll ..and its kinda weird talking someone you dont know on the street when you dont realy care "how they are doing"

Old 12-21-2008, 01:28 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,925,252 times
^^^That's more of a small town rural Southern thing if anything (nothing wrong with it of course).

Old 12-21-2008, 09:22 PM

774 posts, read 1,697,746 times
I do not find the majority of New Yorkers to be rude either. Many are actually quite nice. It is important to understand the culture of an area before making a generalization such as that. NYC is by far the biggest and most crowded city that this great nation has to offer. It operates at an extremely fast pace at all times of the day. Because of this big city influence, some things that New Yorkers do may be taken as rudeness by others, but are not intended to be. For example, in NYC (as in a lot of bigger cities), you are generally not going to see people waving at and greeting strangers on a frequent basis, but in a lot of smaller towns that is the norm. However, when you engage people in conversation there, they tend to be as talkative and friendly as anywhere else.
And for those who believe that New Yorkers have a bad attitude, show me an area that doesn't have a few rude inhabitants!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:06 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,244,966 times
New Yorkers today are not nearly as rude as some other regions. Anytime I've been there I found the folks to be just fine - shorter and more to the point than you find down here, but that's just regional. I find it refreshing to have a more "this is how it is" conversation rather than trying to translate "what did they mean by that?" as you sometimes do in the South.

However, I know a couple of folks who live in NYC and have much of their lives, and when we have discussed this, they say that since 9/11, the whole "essence" of the way New Yorkers act toward each other seems to have changed. You're more likely to see folks open doors for each other, pick up something you drop for you, even tell you if you have some odd thingy hanging off your jacket as you walk by that you weren't aware of. More "watchful" of each other. The supposed "New York attitude" is, at least according to the people I know, a throwover from the 70s, when New York was indeed known much more for being gritty, grungy, and more in-your-face rude.

In other words - old reputations die slowly. But they're old. Anyone who visited New York decades ago will still have that same old (and bad) impression of it, but if they go back today they'll find a different New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or