U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:17 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,213,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I do not find the majority of New Yorkers to be rude either. Many are actually quite nice.
And for those who believe that New Yorkers have a bad attitude, show me an area that doesn't have a few rude inhabitants!
Uhh Kansas maybe?...

Actually when people say New Yorkers are nice,it's probably because the people you talked to are 1)Tourists also, or 2)Just glad someone coherent is talking to them and not some whino asking for money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 10:39 PM

311 posts, read 454,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
However, I know a couple of folks who live in NYC and have much of their lives, and when we have discussed this, they say that since 9/11, the whole "essence" of the way New Yorkers act toward each other seems to have changed. You're more likely to see folks open doors for each other, pick up something you drop for you, even tell you if you have some odd thingy hanging off your jacket as you walk by that you weren't aware of. More "watchful" of each other.
This is a very interesting thought. It never occurred to me to look at it this way. I wonder if it's true? You know, now that I try to think back, I don't know... I don't ever remember being outright rude... I don't remember anyone being outright rude. but that was so long ago, so it's hard to tell. could this have effected everyone? It's very possible. A common tragety does bring people together.
Hold on... now I am thinking back... (I'm kinda getting depressed) I remember the first time the subway opened and I went back to work. My train goes over the Manhattan Bridge, so we can see where the towers used to be. I remember for the first time in my life, I looked around at the other people on the train, all were regular folks like me going on with life, and back to work, and I remember how I felt close to each of them (even though they were all from completely different ethnic/race/background than I was) I remember looking at all their faces as they all stared at the skyline where the towers were suddenly not. they all looked so solemn, and serious and sad. I remember feeling how their faces expressed exactly how I felt, and I remember feeling a certain closeness to all of these perfect strangers.

Last edited by Marty McFly Jr; 12-21-2008 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: wait, I am still thinking back

Old 12-22-2008, 09:04 AM

2,756 posts, read 5,326,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I do not find the majority of New Yorkers to be rude either. Many are actually quite nice. It is important to understand the culture of an area before making a generalization such as that. NYC is by far the biggest and most crowded city that this great nation has to offer. It operates at an extremely fast pace at all times of the day. Because of this big city influence, some things that New Yorkers do may be taken as rudeness by others, but are not intended to be. For example, in NYC (as in a lot of bigger cities), you are generally not going to see people waving at and greeting strangers on a frequent basis, but in a lot of smaller towns that is the norm. However, when you engage people in conversation there, they tend to be as talkative and friendly as anywhere else.
And for those who believe that New Yorkers have a bad attitude, show me an area that doesn't have a few rude inhabitants!
Interesting and accurate. In fact, one of the few people in my complex I have had more than a 5 minute conversation with is from NYC. In fact, I can say I've made a friend for life!

One of the things I have observed about NY people is that they may not appear or seem friendly on the street, are constantly rushed and seem to be going at mach speed most of the time. additionally, they are to the point and won't hesistate to tell you how they feel . However, off the "beaten path", they are some of the most hospitable, fun and down to earth people I have ever had the pleasure of interacting with and having as friends.

Ultimately, though..If I give off a positive vibe, I receive it back at least most of the time no matter where I am. I feel you get back what you project, no matter where people are from or the circumstances, to a greater or lesser degree.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
One of the things I have observed about NY people is that they may not appear or seem friendly on the street, are constantly rushed and seem to be going at mach speed most of the time. additionally, they are to the point and won't hesistate to tell you how they feel . However, off the "beaten path", they are some of the most hospitable, fun and down to earth people I have ever had the pleasure of interacting with and having as friends.

You're right. Us NYers like to do everything in record time, which is the reason for all the rush. Most of us would gladly our rushed pace to help a tourist if they need help. At least I do

I think having a certain kind of attitude is good for you. The kind of attitude where you have high self-esteem and don't let anything negative get in the way. Not necessarily a stuck-up attitude. That's the kind of NY attitude that most people have. It isn't anything bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or