U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:25 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,205,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I must say that every time i visit the South, I find both the women & men (of seemingly middle class backgrounds) to be noticeably more well-groomed & prim & proper than their counterparts from other parts of the country. I live in the Pacific NW, and although most of the population is presentable enough, generally Southerners are much more well-groomed (women have more coiffed hair, men tend to dress more neatly, etc)- even the teenagers and youth in the South, although relatively homogenous in their Abercrombie wear, are less likely to be in "grunge" wear or skater alternative types, just interesting observations. What is with that? I am comparing Whites to Whites, I would think other races may also dress differently region from region due to weather?
I don't know if we (white middle-class traditional southerners) are better-groomed. I think many of us are brought up with very high expectations of impeccable dress and grooming, which are, at least among people my age (25) and younger, sometimes cast aside as an act of rebellion. What is "trendy" with our demographic is to take stodgy southern conservative dress (khakis, polo shirts, etc.), and add in a generous helping of intentional dishevelment. Also, we are strongly influenced by the "fake outdoorsman" movement, being from the PNW you may be familiar with that.

What is worth mentioning is that we definitely dress more traditionally than mainstream America; it is a major faux-pas among middle/upper class traditional white southerners to follow the trends of New York or urban California. A few examples would be: black leather of any sort, black and/or wool clothing outside of Dec/Jan, designer t-shirts, designer jeans, and hair gel. This is relatively normal dress for most of young America, but would definitely brand you as an outsider among most of the circles I am familiar with.

Last edited by le roi; 12-15-2008 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 11:29 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,137,665 times
Why do the guys in the South have long hair? i thought they were supposed to be all manly killing innocent animals for fun and all...why do they have their hair long like a woman's? thanks for any and all responses.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:30 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,671,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Why do the guys in the South have long hair? i thought they were supposed to be all manly killing innocent animals for fun and all...why do they have their hair long like a woman's? thanks for any and all responses.
I've noticed dudes in the north have long hair, especially in the D.C. area with the dreads.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:45 AM

14,962 posts, read 31,357,878 times
Quote:
This southerner don't, I get a "high and tight" (military cut) every three weeks. As for the way I dress, it usually Levi's and a polo shirt, and I like my Merrel shoes. I have noticed with the younger kids that the long hair is more popular, maybe they watched too many episodes of "that 70's show".

Blacks and whites here generally dress different. Many black folks here like the Southpole baggy jeans and the Sean Jean long shirts that go to their knees. Most white folks go for the Levi's jeans and Nike tees, or Ralph Lauren polo shirts. Black folks shop at stores like Citi-Trends, and whites shop at stores like Kohl's and Belk.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:53 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,205,362 times
Quote:
Why do the guys in the South have long hair?
They don't, not any more frequently than people anywhere else, at least.

One example of this priviledged-white-southern-conservative-turned-ragamuffin look is what we call "Bama bangs", the "Tellum" (Mullet spelled backwards), or "The Wave". Short all around, with huge bangs in the front. Needs constant maintenance of head swinging. Some suspect it is a tribal method of communication among southern frat boys, and I can confirm this to some extent, despite not rocking a tellum.

Quote:
i thought they were supposed to be all manly killing innocent animals for fun and all...why do they have their hair long like a woman's?
The only common thread among my legitimately long-haired friends is that they tended to smoke a lot of pot, and listen to jam bands. But folks have been known to be a hybrid - long haired, pot smoking, deer hunting country boys. A common breed in many parts. Don't mean to stereotype, though, I'm sure there are many combinations of age, location, hair length, drug of choice, and recreational preferences.

Quote:
thanks for any and all responses.
You are confused. You're welcome.

Last edited by le roi; 12-15-2008 at 01:04 PM..

Old 12-15-2008, 01:41 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,288,128 times
I am the op and sorry to not have been more specific- I was referring primarily to the suburban and more middle class parts of Dallas, Atlanta, New Orleans, although I've also thoroughly visited other Southern states/ cities as well though not as extensively as the ones mentioned. What I mean is that Southerners from THESE backgrounds tend to be more well-groomed but not necessarly in a "fashionable" sense. There is nothing wrong with being well-groomed.Though I must agree there was a higher proportion of Jerry Springer guest-types in those same areas as well. More than in Seattle. So yeah, to me, there are more extremes.rubber_factory provided some insight, in that it may be more to do with "not sticking out like a sore thumb"

Old 12-15-2008, 04:02 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,568,487 times
We in the south are taught to dress-up for church, funerals, weddings and even going to the store. I often find that when I go to the theater in New York or London (or even the Vienna Opera) I am 'more-dressed' than most of the crowd. Similarly, the girls just don't go out without make-up.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 6,866 times
Like other members here have stated, outside of the metropolitan areas most Americans dress the same way (a little dingy and outdated, hey, including some of my family/ stonewash flares and shelltoes? come on sis) However southern areas like Richmond, Savannah, and Charleston have a distinctive style, likewise Seattle, New York, Portland, Chicago, Miami, LA, etc., all have there respective styles.

Last edited by Meanreds; 12-24-2008 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: needed to correct my horrible spelling

Old 12-24-2008, 10:11 AM

23,052 posts, read 35,012,419 times
My stepmother said that one thing she noticed that is different between northern and southern women is that the mature southerners are more likely to color their hair and northerners more likely to let their hair go grey.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:11 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,559,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I don't know if we (white middle-class traditional southerners) are better-groomed. I think many of us are brought up with very high expectations of impeccable dress and grooming, which are, at least among people my age (25) and younger, sometimes cast aside as an act of rebellion. What is "trendy" with our demographic is to take stodgy southern conservative dress (khakis, polo shirts, etc.), and add in a generous helping of intentional dishevelment. Also, we are strongly influenced by the "fake outdoorsman" movement, being from the PNW you may be familiar with that.

What is worth mentioning is that we definitely dress more traditionally than mainstream America; it is a major faux-pas among middle/upper class traditional white southerners to follow the trends of New York or urban California. A few examples would be: black leather of any sort, black and/or wool clothing outside of Dec/Jan, designer t-shirts, designer jeans, and hair gel. This is relatively normal dress for most of young America, but would definitely brand you as an outsider among most of the circles I am familiar with.

No doubt... I definitely stand out wearing my typical Chicago attire now back in North Florida... oh well!

Personally I think I'm dressed much nicer than most around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.