U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 10:15 AM

304 posts, read 829,428 times

Advertisements

no one goes to southerners for fashion tips.....you guys are always like 3 years late on things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 11:17 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,131,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
no one goes to southerners for fashion tips.....you guys are always like 3 years late on things
Not sure if it my age or regional loyalties speaking...but given some of the things I see come out of the West Coast and Northeast, I wish we were further behind than a mere three years!

Old 12-24-2008, 11:21 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,637,123 times
When I am down south for work, people seem to be better groomed when going out. I see lots of tucked in polos, clean shaven, etc. What does all of this mean? Absolutely nothing.
I stick out like a sore thumb down there with the way I dress. But the southern girls seem to like it.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
What is worth mentioning is that we definitely dress more traditionally than mainstream America; it is a major faux-pas among middle/upper class traditional white southerners to follow the trends of New York or urban California. A few examples would be: black leather of any sort, black and/or wool clothing outside of Dec/Jan, designer t-shirts, designer jeans, and hair gel. This is relatively normal dress for most of young America, but would definitely brand you as an outsider among most of the circles I am familiar with.
I truly don't mean to insult anyone by this observation -- which is related to what RF says -- but I see exactly where he is coming from. Even if from an earlier era (the 60's).

My hometown in Texas has a major Air Force Base, so there were always, active or retired, a disproportionate number of northerners who lived here. Anyway, one thing that seemed a distinguishing characteristic of these "yankees" was (besides their accents) that during the summer the men wore "bermuda shorts" and "black dress socks." Texas/Southern men didn't dress this way, and it was always considered an "oddity" down here.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:35 AM

597 posts, read 1,886,376 times
I've never really noticed a homogenous way we southerners present ourselves. There are as many styles of dress here as anywhere else. With television, the internet and all those oh-so-modern conveniences, we don't need to hop a train to Chicago or anywhere else to show us how to dress. Sure, we'll have different regional preferences, but within those regions are many differences as well. As a southern man in my mid-50s, I usually allow my destination to tell me how to dress. Most of the time I am well-groomed, down to my tightly trimmed beard. Workdays find me in kahkies and a polo/sweater, or dress pants and collared shirt. Weekends, jeans. A trip to Home Depot for more paint...well, I might scare you. Casual Friday might find me in jeans, nice shoes and a dated Hugo Boss sports jacket. Why would anybody really care? And to think of fashion and style as following a specific year is dreadfully sophomoric to me.

Here in Nashville, it gets a little bit confusing as to who's who sometimes. The nicely dressed young man in front of the hotel just might be the valet fetching the Bentley for the scruffy looking young man in jeans and a t-shirt.

No matter where you are, there are people who, for economic reasons, style reasons, indentity reasons dress the way they feel comfortable. I do. I care not if what I'm wearing at any time pleases the senses of the fashion enslaved in other locales. It just doesn't matter. In one shopping district, I dress to impress. In another, I dress to buy essentials. Fashion and style is a great thing, but if it transcends comfort and demonstration of who one is and the identity they seek, then people become mere templates of a magazine spread they saw somewhere. I find that infinitely depressing. Life is colorful than that. I'm a colorful southern man, and I'm rather proud of it.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:19 PM

14 posts, read 22,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I must say that every time i visit the South, I find both the women & men (of seemingly middle class backgrounds) to be noticeably more well-groomed & prim & proper than their counterparts from other parts of the country. I live in the Pacific NW, and although most of the population is presentable enough, generally Southerners are much more well-groomed (women have more coiffed hair, men tend to dress more neatly, etc)- even the teenagers and youth in the South, although relatively homogenous in their Abercrombie wear, are less likely to be in "grunge" wear or skater alternative types, just interesting observations. What is with that? I am comparing Whites to Whites, I would think other races may also dress differently region from region due to weather?

uhm I disagree. I am from TX but went to college in CT and now live in Detroit. In CT people dressed daily like they were going to church. Funny fact though is that nobody in CT really goes to church!!! CT has to be the most well groomed state just because they dress very conservative.

Rubber factory - I grew up in the south and NEVER met anyone wearing designer jeans. If by designer your talking about aeropostale and maybe AF, then yea you're right. But I went to college in the northeast and kids there were more designer wear than anywhere else - Diesel, Eddie Bauer, North Face, on and on and on. Coming from TX it was a culture shock.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Why do the guys in the South have long hair? i thought they were supposed to be all manly killing innocent animals for fun and all...why do they have their hair long like a woman's? thanks for any and all responses.
In the spirit of the Christmas season, I will overlook the "manly" thing about "killing innocent animals" (unless one lives by osmosis, then in some form or fashion every one -- even the most breast-beating animal rights activist -- benifits from that an "innocent animal" dies as a result. Those who eat meat yet condemn hunting, are the most hypocritical of all... ).

*AHEM* Anyway, this subject came up once in an undergrad sociology class I once took. The professor was prone to illustrate by noting trends in the country, and this one came up. As he characterized it, back in the 60's, "long hair" became "fashionable" on men as an expression of rebellion against the "Establishment." These "hippies" and their lifestyle and belief system was pretty much alien to many Southerners and "we" kept our crew-cuts and flat-tops and Butch Hair Wax! LOL

Over time though, because any trend will eventually affect all regions of the country, long hair became more popular in the South. It didn't mean those who wore it adopted the "radical" belief system, but that it just became kinda "cool" On a related tangent, many of the songs of the "Southern Rock" era (mid 70's) reflected this. A few that come to mind are "Long-Haired Country Boy" by the Charlie Daniels Band, or "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd...and David Allen Coes "Long Haired Redneck."

Whether the cart came before the horse is a matter of conjecture, but fact is, many Southern boys (I was one of them! LOL) began to wear their hair long as well. Identifying with, perhaps, as another song of CDB went "The South's Gonna Do It Again"...which sorta summed up that Southern Rock era.

Anyway, particularly among Southern working class men (which are my own roots), the long hair became popular..and has never completely faded out. Hell, to be honest, I still have a "haircut" (if I can dignify it by that label) of the 70's!

Ok...does any of this make sense?

Old 12-24-2008, 09:05 PM

3,683 posts, read 8,853,949 times
I love how Southern women dress. Their style is the sexiest in the country. For Southern men, at least in the country, a lot of them have mustaches because it makes them look tough and manly, and that's what those sexy Southern gals like.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:21 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,592,757 times
south maybe well groomed ... but their actual attire is more homogenized and certainly not fashionable or designer stuff....

Old 12-24-2008, 10:51 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,459,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
They don't, not any more frequently than people anywhere else, at least.

One example of this priviledged-white-southern-conservative-turned-ragamuffin look is what we call "Bama bangs", the "Tellum" (Mullet spelled backwards), or "The Wave". Short all around, with huge bangs in the front. Needs constant maintenance of head swinging. Some suspect it is a tribal method of communication among southern frat boys, and I can confirm this to some extent, despite not rocking a tellum.

The only common thread among my legitimately long-haired friends is that they tended to smoke a lot of pot, and listen to jam bands. But folks have been known to be a hybrid - long haired, pot smoking, deer hunting country boys. A common breed in many parts. Don't mean to stereotype, though, I'm sure there are many combinations of age, location, hair length, drug of choice, and recreational preferences.

You are confused. You're welcome.
Hahahaha! I am dying of laughter over here!

One thing, though. There is a substantial number of teens and college-aged kids in Houston, and probably Dallas I'm sure, who wear designer clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.