U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 08:02 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,000,180 times

Advertisements

^ Yeah, Bama Bangs can be found all across the South. I've even seen Bama Bangs & variations outside the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 08:28 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,950,499 times
The way I see it people buy what they can afford and there is nothing wrong with that. The poor and lower middle class tend to shop at lower end stores like consignment stores and Wal-mart. Upper middle class and the rich tend to shop in higher end stores. I don't think that makes anybody bad or good, as long as they don't think themselves better than anybody else.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:03 AM

835 posts, read 2,083,880 times
Lol. I shop at Wal-Mart but I don't buy a bunch of trashy things. I buy golf shirts and khakis. I personally don't really care where it's from as long as it doesn't look like I found it in a dumpster.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:05 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,041,282 times
OH, you have got to be kidding? Right?
I just moved from east of nashville and most of the people were almost filthy. I have seen people there wear a shirt or dress until the outside gets dirty. AND turn it inside out and wear it that way until the inside gets too dirty to wear! Then they wash it. Maybe. I have been in grocery stores with people smelling so bad I had to go to another Isle and shop. Waiting until that person/persons leave the one I was shopping in!

Old 12-27-2008, 09:09 AM

835 posts, read 2,083,880 times
To tell y'all the truth, I hadn't ever heard of them called "Bama bangs" (how about a Carolina Cut?) until this thread and I really didn't even know they were a Southern thing. I had always thought they were just how a lot of guys (including myself a few times) cut their hair.

We used to joke about how my brother's friend's bangs flipped up a bit at the ends so that the rain would slide off.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:44 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,950,499 times
Ok I admit it, I LOVE Walmart. I buy alot of things from there, including my clothes. Think about me what you will

Old 12-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 25 days ago)

9,830 posts, read 21,138,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
To tell y'all the truth, I hadn't ever heard of them called "Bama bangs" (how about a Carolina Cut?) until this thread and I really didn't even know they were a Southern thing. I had always thought they were just how a lot of guys (including myself a few times) cut their hair.

We used to joke about how my brother's friend's bangs flipped up a bit at the ends so that the rain would slide off.
There not a Southern thing - there an Alabama thing

Old 12-27-2008, 03:21 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,807,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There not a Southern thing - there an Alabama thing
Bama Bangs are very popular among guys here in Texas.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:32 PM

1,561 posts, read 1,351,307 times
One thing we've noticed when we've traveled the United States is that the areas in the Southwest were the climate is nice they seem to be a bit nicer dressed....and in general seem more fit...as in not obese. I was in Los Angeles(Pasadena actually) a few weeks ago and I noticed it again immediately. When waiting in line at a Starbucks I looked around and even those that weren't in business dress looked presentable and seemed to be well grommed etc...

A week later at home in Northern Minnesota I am again in line at a Starbucks and the people that were not in business attire....well let's just say some of them looked pretty scary.

My wife and I went to a play at the local playhouse theatre a few weeks ago. Now I realize that we're not in a cosmopolitian area of the country (northern Minnesota) but to us this is kinda sorta a cultural event. We saw all manner of dress. A few in Suites...a lot of us in dockers with button down shirts and maybe a tie here and there....but a disturbing number in ratty blue jeans with racing jackets on and baseball caps on their head.

While I was in LA I attended a movie at the ArcLight theatre in Hollywood and I swear that everyone there, while somewhat casual, was dressed way better than many at the playhouse theatre at home here. Go figure...

To each their own I guess....

Old 12-28-2008, 01:27 AM

7,388 posts, read 10,068,534 times
As one growing up in the south, there was a sector that knew what proper attire was for both special occassions and daily life and then there were those that didn't care. But if you were to fit into the basic community, you never went in public without being groomed, even if running to the store for a loaf of bread. For men, always shaven, clean, pressed clothes, hair groomed. For women, even if casual, never without hair done and makeup and proper attire for the occasion.

Of course we had our "Sunday best" but even if it were a very casual event, we did not go in public without being properly "presentable."

Perhaps the OP has this in mind as far as regional differences. One of my best friends grew up in Colorado, very outdoorsy, nature ethic, etc. He came to college in the south and mentioned that the girls were always made up, even for early classes and looked like they were ready for church. He commented that Colorado girls rarely if ever wore makeup.

My 16 yr old daughter, a product of the suburban culture of Atlanta and now Dallas is much along this line of thinking as are her peers. She takes forever to get ready, has to have makeup, straighten her hair, etc, etc before we can go anywhere. Even if she is casual as in jeans and a tshirt, it must be a certain type of jeans and tshirt and still properly accessorized, even if we are just going to McDonalds or Wal Mart.

Of course I see the types that would fit in on Springer that don't care about their grooming and I won't make disparaging remarks about other regions and their attitudes toward grooming, but I do know that proper southern culture places a premium on being well groomed, no matter your status, your wealth or how expensive your wardrobe. If it is only Walmart you can afford, a proper southerner still is groomed, combed, clean and the Walmart clothes are clean and pressed before you venture into public.

Grooming has nothing to do with fashion or wealth. It is a general self respect regardless of income or class status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.