Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:58 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times

Advertisements

North vs South is such an individual thing. The South has a warmer climate and is growing at a rapid rate whereas many northern cities are at capacity. Southerners typically are more polite but as more ppl from the north migrate down and as the south begins to deal with the hustle n bustle lifestyle that will come with an explosion of population you wont even be able to tell them apart aside from climate of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 08:09 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times
A lot of ppl also move to do the cheap, affordable housing in the south, but once again the more ppl migrate the higher the prices go up. In about 20 yrs there wont be any difference.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:38 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
From the north i still don't get this whole NORTH VS SOUTH thing.....I've heard it so many times from Southern people, but don't know anyone from the North that even knows it exists until it's presented to them....

Old 12-15-2008, 03:56 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
it isn't right. The north is more historic, but I wouldn't necessarily call it prettier.
The northern U.S. isn't more historic...it has an overall older history, which doesn't make it better - just older. Some parts of the South are just as old and were more important cities in the 1700s, but I guess that history is overlooked.

History is yesterday and on back...cities like Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston have nearly 200 years of history, but some people think of that as nothing. Cities like Savannah, Charleston, Wilmington, Richmond, etc. have 300-400 years of history similar to Boston and Philadelphia.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:57 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
From the north i still don't get this whole NORTH VS SOUTH thing.....I've heard it so many times from Southern people, but don't know anyone from the North that even knows it exists until it's presented to them....
Most of these preference threads are started by insecure people from northern U.S. states...so put it all on the South, my friend.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:04 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The northern U.S. isn't more historic...it has an overall older history, which doesn't make it better - just older. Some parts of the South are just as old and were more important cities in the 1700s, but I guess that history is overlooked.

History is yesterday and on back...cities like Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston have nearly 200 years of history, but some people think of that as nothing. Cities like Savannah, Charleston, Wilmington, Richmond, etc. have 300-400 years of history similar to Boston and Philadelphia.
Good post. And don't forget San Antonio and New Orleans, among the two oldest cities in the U.S.

The North looks older because of its built environment. It was industrialized and developed much earlier, so it has more buildings. The South has fewer buildings because it was more rural, as its economy was largely based on agriculture. Also, let's not forget that some architecture in the South was lost during the Civil War. And to hurricanes. And fires.

I swear, did some of you Northerners sleep through U.S. History?

Old 12-15-2008, 06:51 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Quote:
Most of these preference threads are started by insecure people from northern U.S. states...so put it all on the South, my friend.
You take these boards waaaaayyyyyyy to seriously.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:35 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
Quote:
....but in real life, it's mostly people in the south who make an issue of it...just one of the many reasons I didn't like living down there...that, and the fact that I woke up to 0 degree temps this morning...... and liked it.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:43 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
....but in real life, it's mostly people in the south who make an issue of it...just one of the many reasons I didn't like living down there...that, and the fact that I woke up to 0 degree temps this morning...... and liked it.
Not so. Could it be that you're just more sensitive to it because you're on the receiving end of it down south? My niece just moved to Boston and her classmates have nicknamed her "Texas" and actually asked if she rode a horse to school when she lived here, among other stupid questions. The ignorance and north vs. south crap goes both ways.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:46 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Not so. Could it be that you're just more sensitive to it because you're on the receiving end of it down south? My niece just moved to Boston and her classmates have nicknamed her "Texas" and actually asked if she rode a horse to school when she lived here, among other stupid questions. The ignorance and north vs. south crap goes both ways.
I was born and raised in the south. Arkansas, to be exact, with short stints in Tennessee and Alabama.
When someone from the north moved in, it was always the southerners that initiated the arguments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.