U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 01:30 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,327,023 times

Advertisements

I live in Minnesota, where the vast majority of gas stations allow you to pump first and then pay the cashier (or pay via credit card at the pump, but that's different). But I've heard that in most of the country you have to pay first before pumping. How does this work? Do you have to go into the gas station and hand the clerk your cash? What if you want to fill your tank up to the top to see what your gas mileage is? Do you go back into the gas station and does the clerk give you your change back if you do that? This is confusing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 01:52 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,130,269 times
If you want to fill up with cash you go in and give the cashier say $50, then after you're done you go get the change. If you use a credit/debit card you just swipe or scan your card then pump. I didn't even know that there were still places where you could prepay for gas. What do they do about drive-offs?

Old 12-14-2008, 03:44 PM

1,454 posts, read 3,941,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
If you want to fill up with cash you go in and give the cashier say $50, then after you're done you go get the change. If you use a credit/debit card you just swipe or scan your card then pump. I didn't even know that there were still places where you could prepay for gas. What do they do about drive-offs?
Cops track them down. The majority of gas stations I've seen have video cameras at the pumps, so they'll be caught eventually...and pay a HUGE fine.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:16 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,130,269 times
In my area license plate covers and spray on products that make plates invisible to cameras but leave them visible to the naked eye are big. Even without products I doubt they would find anyone down here.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:25 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,118,248 times
I use my card most of the time at the machine, but at most gas stations if I wanted to use cash, I would have to go in and pay. If I ever use cash, I will generally hand the clerk more than whatever I think it will cost to fill up my tank. After I am finished, I go inside, remind the clerk of my pump number, and they will hand me my change.

The exception is at the ARCO stations that are scattered through Arizona, Nevada, and Southern California. There are seperate kiosks between the gas pumps where you can pay with cash or a card, without having to go inside. You press your pump number, insert cash or a card, and then return for your receipt and/or change.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:49 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,230,919 times
here in NYC and Long Island, you have to pay everywhere before pumping. can't trust other people here lol

Old 12-15-2008, 08:13 AM

86,981 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Most stations here are pump first, then pay, but 7-11 switched just recently to pay first for everyone. They took out the card readers. I drove off to find another gas station.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:18 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,359,212 times
^There was a story a few months ago on the about how a few gas stations were taking out their credit card readers because they actually lose money having credit card readers. They have to pay the credit card companies freakin fees to process cards at the pump.

So you have a gas station making pennies of profits of gas and paying large amounts to the credit card companies.

I hate credit card companies so much. Most greedy evil people. When I pay of my CC debt I will never pitch these greedy people a dime ever again.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:27 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,795,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
^There was a story a few months ago on the about how a few gas stations were taking out their credit card readers because they actually lose money having credit card readers. They have to pay the credit card companies freakin fees to process cards at the pump.

So you have a gas station making pennies of profits of gas and paying large amounts to the credit card companies.

I hate credit card companies so much. Most greedy evil people. When I pay of my CC debt I will never pitch these greedy people a dime ever again.
It's the merchant processors that charge the high interchange fees, not the credit card companies themselves.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:39 AM

86,981 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post

I like paying for gas with the CC because it's easier than going inside. You could also use a debit card, which just takes the money out of your bank account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or