U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 189 48.21%
Southern summer 203 51.79%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:45 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,570,477 times

Advertisements

really depends what u mean by "northern" winters... if you mean the lower East Coast winters vs. southern summers then... I would take the east coast winters...
But if you mean Minnesota/Wisconsin/Chicago/Detroit/Buffalo winters... give me the southern summers anyday.

You have to plan your activities and sometimes cancel your activities around Northern winters, southern summers, not so much. also the northern summers get JUST AS hot and humid, give me a southern hot day vs. a Chicago August hot day...any day. However the winters aren't even close to comparison, it gets like 30 in Florida as a low, vs. -30 in Chicago... where as Chicago gets just as hot temperature wise as Florida... even way over 100... (Florida usually stays in the 90s)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 11:04 AM

122 posts, read 127,871 times
I'm a Floridian who loves the state, so there's no question where my preferences are in this area.

Just consider this: at the far extremes of a Northern winter - say, the weather experienced in Minnesota and the Northern Great Plains recently - staying outside for a few seconds without proper covering can lead to frostbite, any longer than that, serious health problems. I've spent all day outside in the heat of the Florida summer before and, with adequate hydration, never had to worry about losing my limbs due to the weather. People constantly spout this nonsense about how "no person could tolerate the Sun Belt without air conditioning." How many people could tolerate living in New England without some form of heating? And as far as the claim that "you can simply add more layers of clothing for cold, but only take off so much for heat", that's a personal preference and certainly isn't true for all of us. In Pittsburgh (where I'm currently a grad student and quite miserable, largely as a function of the horrific climate), I can wear 5+ layers of clothing and all of the standard winter accessories and still be uncomfortably cold to the point of physical discomfort. Shorts, t-shirt, sandals, and a cold drink in the Florida summer, and I've never felt more than a slight tinge of discomfort from the heat.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:07 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,762,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I'm in the northeast in the middle of a good sized storm and I'd rather have this than horrible heat and humidity. When its super humid out I can't do anything. Going out in public is no fun when you are a sweaty mess. The 2 minutes it takes to brush off my car is no big deal.
BUt honestly unless you live in the mountains what can you do in the winter? Go out and go where to the store? lol. Seriously people what can you do besides going skiing and snowboarding that you cant do when its hot. Yeah you sweat but we are humans thats what we do. Is it really to hot that you cant literally go out to a beach or a pool or a theme park or just drive somewhere? Thats why they inveted A/C. And you said you guys are having a snow storm. What can you do in a snow storm that is way better than heat and humidity? How can you go out in public and literally do anything in a snowstorm. Heat does not physically hendrance a automobile from going somewhere. You never hear on the news that its to hot or humid for cars to drive on the road. But you hear countless stories about ice and slippery roads that cause accidents. But neither is fun because when its hot you got more bugs and stuff like that. But cold weather isnt any better.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
really depends what u mean by "northern" winters... if you mean the lower East Coast winters vs. southern summers then... I would take the east coast winters...
But if you mean Minnesota/Wisconsin/Chicago/Detroit/Buffalo winters... give me the southern summers anyday.

You have to plan your activities and sometimes cancel your activities around Northern winters, southern summers, not so much. also the northern summers get JUST AS hot and humid, give me a southern hot day vs. a Chicago August hot day...any day. However the winters aren't even close to comparison, it gets like 30 in Florida as a low, vs. -30 in Chicago... where as Chicago gets just as hot temperature wise as Florida... even way over 100... (Florida usually stays in the 90s)
Thank you. Exactly. Its that urban island heat effect. It happens all over cities up north. But when its cold its waaay more brutal up there. Have you been in a NYC or PHI heatwave its insane. I'm in South Florida right now on vacation and its like a cool 65 outside.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:16 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,631,151 times
For me the cold is better. I like snowboarding, cross country skiing, ice skating, ice climbing, etc. We still play pick up football. If we want to play basketball, we can find a gym somewhere. I still go mountain biking. Plenty of activities to do in the cold weather. I like playing sports much better in the cold.
Besides, activities aren't what I was getting at originally. My day to day schedule is more affected when its hot and humid. I have to wear suits for work and even with air conditioning, I still get hot. I have to walk around outside sometimes ,and its unbearable to be dressed up and hot. The simple act of going out to eat, or going to a bar is ruined because its too hot for me. Snow removal is very good here so being hindered by slippery roads really is not a problem.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.g.harpool View Post
I'm a Floridian who loves the state, so there's no question where my preferences are in this area.

Just consider this: at the far extremes of a Northern winter - say, the weather experienced in Minnesota and the Northern Great Plains recently - staying outside for a few seconds without proper covering can lead to frostbite, any longer than that, serious health problems. I've spent all day outside in the heat of the Florida summer before and, with adequate hydration, never had to worry about losing my limbs due to the weather. People constantly spout this nonsense about how "no person could tolerate the Sun Belt without air conditioning." How many people could tolerate living in New England without some form of heating? And as far as the claim that "you can simply add more layers of clothing for cold, but only take off so much for heat", that's a personal preference and certainly isn't true for all of us. In Pittsburgh (where I'm currently a grad student and quite miserable, largely as a function of the horrific climate), I can wear 5+ layers of clothing and all of the standard winter accessories and still be uncomfortably cold to the point of physical discomfort. Shorts, t-shirt, sandals, and a cold drink in the Florida summer, and I've never felt more than a slight tinge of discomfort from the heat.
This has got to be one of my favourite post. You described me. Its so true, im in florida right now on vacation and im fine. People always say well put layers on. The layers never help. Someone said you could only take so much off til you're naked. well when im cold I could only put so much layers on til im burning up when I get inside. And there is always some part of my body that is cold no matter how I cover up, whether it be my face or hands. It is to discomforting to put layer upon layer upon layer just to barely feel comfortable.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
For me the cold is better. I like snowboarding, cross country skiing, ice skating, ice climbing, etc. We still play pick up football. If we want to play basketball, we can find a gym somewhere. I still go mountain biking. Plenty of activities to do in the cold weather. I like playing sports much better in the cold.
Besides, activities aren't what I was getting at originally. My day to day schedule is more affected when its hot and humid. I have to wear suits for work and even with air conditioning, I still get hot. I have to walk around outside sometimes ,and its unbearable to be dressed up and hot. The simple act of going out to eat, or going to a bar is ruined because its too hot for me. Snow removal is very good here so being hindered by slippery roads really is not a problem.
Oh ok. I see what you mean.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:16 PM

55,667 posts, read 74,628,627 times
if i am down and out, give me warm climate.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:42 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,417,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

First off, -30 in Chicago is as rare as a 30 degree low in Miami. Sure they happen, but not often whatsoever. And a August day in Miami is BRUTAL. A August day in Chicago? FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more pleasant. I dont know where youre making your crap up at, but it sure is funny! LOL

Know how many days Chicago has over 90 degrees? 16. Miami? 58. Thats ridiculous.

Lets let the people decide....

Chicago in August:
History : Weather Underground

Miami in August: HOT AND RAINY. I cant believe youd pick a Miami August day over Chicago, unless youre a masochist. lol

Old 12-23-2008, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

First off, -30 in Chicago is as rare as a 30 degree low in Miami. Sure they happen, but not often whatsoever. And a August day in Miami is BRUTAL. A August day in Chicago? FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more pleasant. I dont know where youre making your crap up at, but it sure is funny! LOL

Know how many days Chicago has over 90 degrees? 16. Miami? 58. Thats ridiculous.

Lets let the people decide....

Chicago in August:

Miami in August: HOT AND RAINY. I cant believe youd pick a Miami August day over Chicago, unless youre a masochist. lol
Yet all the tourist from all over the US and the world go to Miami for the WEATHER and the beaches. I agree it can be very brutal in SoFla in August but, like I said before there are many outdoor activities to counter the heat than the cold. I'm down here in SoFla right now its like 64 outside compared to 15 degrees somewhere up north. (Will Smith welcome to Miami) lol. But a december day in chicago very brutal an august day in miami faaaaaaaaaar better. And it dosent have to be -30 to be brutal it can be 25 degrees and still be miserable. Basically anything 32 degrees and below (freezing point of water).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.