U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 189 48.21%
Southern summer 203 51.79%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:26 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,049,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

First off, -30 in Chicago is as rare as a 30 degree low in Miami. Sure they happen, but not often whatsoever. And a August day in Miami is BRUTAL. A August day in Chicago? FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more pleasant. I dont know where youre making your crap up at, but it sure is funny! LOL

Know how many days Chicago has over 90 degrees? 16. Miami? 58. Thats ridiculous.

Lets let the people decide....

Chicago in August:
History : Weather Underground

Miami in August: HOT AND RAINY. I cant believe youd pick a Miami August day over Chicago, unless youre a masochist. lol
We're supposed to be comparing Miami summers to Chicago winters.

I would take a Miami summer over a Chicago winter any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 PM

13,106 posts, read 24,886,776 times
Southern summers, there is only so much clothing you can shed and still be decent
Northern winters....bundle up, layer

Old 12-23-2008, 02:13 PM

122 posts, read 127,824 times
Quote:

First off, -30 in Chicago is as rare as a 30 degree low in Miami. Sure they happen, but not often whatsoever. And a August day in Miami is BRUTAL. A August day in Chicago? FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more pleasant. I dont know where youre making your crap up at, but it sure is funny! LOL

Know how many days Chicago has over 90 degrees? 16. Miami? 58. Thats ridiculous.

Lets let the people decide....

Chicago in August:

Miami in August: HOT AND RAINY. I cant believe youd pick a Miami August day over Chicago, unless youre a masochist. lol
I don't think that there is a single Northern city that has what I would consider to have "pleasant" weather, but Chicago's is definitely very close to the bottom of the pile in my book. Not just because the winters are mind-numbingly cold and last for what seems like most of the year, but because the weather is so incredibly fickle. Say what you want to about the heat in South Florida (though, I might add, there are far more transplanted Illinoisans here than transplanted Floridians in Illinois), but our weather is consistent. 85-95 degrees during summer days with lows in the high 70's, afternoon thunderstorms that arrive with such regularity that you can almost set your watch by them. 70 or 80 degree highs in the winter with lows in the 50's or 60's, and very little rain. With the exceptions of hurricanes and a rare strong cold front, the South Florida climate is just that simple, and it rarely deviates or disappoints. In dreary Chicago, on the other hand, I have seen the temperature go from -10 one day to close to 60 a few days later, to 32 degrees and ice storms a few days later, before ending the week in the low 50's with drizzle and anticipating single-digit temperatures during the weekend. A large chunk of the Midwest has those types of unpredictable roller coaster weather changes, but they seem to be the most exaggerated in Chicago. Or maybe that's just because Chicago tends to get more media attention than other cities...

Old 12-23-2008, 02:16 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,270,232 times
Chicago August weather looks about exactly like Atlanta August weather...according to the Weather Underground calendar.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:41 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,903,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
And I can't blame you. St. Louis has much hotter summers than any other Midwestern city.
Actually, Cincinnati and Kansas City are normally just as bad as St. Louis. In Kansas City it is actually frequently hotter than here in the summer...the only difference is that is dry hot, which is not nearly as bad as hot and humid. Humidity raises the heat index here to the point that it usually feels ten degrees hotter than it actually is...but I guess it is the feeling that counts. If St. Louis were not situated next to so many rivers, the heat island effect would probably not be affected. Springfield, Illinois is hardly any better in the summer. One of the primary reasons reasons St. Louis actually gets the way it gets is because of the way it is situated between all the rivers...it essentially creates a heat island affect. Most Midwestern cities are fortunate enough in regards to not being situated between so many rivers...Pittsburgh likely would likely get very hot like St. Louis as well if it were not situated near in the Allegheny foothills which likely keep the temperature from getting too hot.That probably explains why it escapes the heat island affect and St. Louis does not.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:13 PM

6,954 posts, read 9,049,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I would take a Miami summer over a Chicago winter any day.
me too

Old 12-23-2008, 05:17 PM

43,556 posts, read 52,658,619 times
Far fewer travel delays, town and power outtages/shutdowns, traffic nightmares, etc, from a southern summer.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:50 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,407,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.g.harpool View Post
I don't think that there is a single Northern city that has what I would consider to have "pleasant" weather, but Chicago's is definitely very close to the bottom of the pile in my book. Not just because the winters are mind-numbingly cold and last for what seems like most of the year, but because the weather is so incredibly fickle. Say what you want to about the heat in South Florida (though, I might add, there are far more transplanted Illinoisans here than transplanted Floridians in Illinois), but our weather is consistent. 85-95 degrees during summer days with lows in the high 70's, afternoon thunderstorms that arrive with such regularity that you can almost set your watch by them. 70 or 80 degree highs in the winter with lows in the 50's or 60's, and very little rain. With the exceptions of hurricanes and a rare strong cold front, the South Florida climate is just that simple, and it rarely deviates or disappoints. In dreary Chicago, on the other hand, I have seen the temperature go from -10 one day to close to 60 a few days later, to 32 degrees and ice storms a few days later, before ending the week in the low 50's with drizzle and anticipating single-digit temperatures during the weekend. A large chunk of the Midwest has those types of unpredictable roller coaster weather changes, but they seem to be the most exaggerated in Chicago. Or maybe that's just because Chicago tends to get more media attention than other cities...
Lets see here... the winter months in Chicago (November through early March) see average temps of 35 degrees. Sometimes its colder, sometimes its warmer. Then for the rest of the year we see temps beteween 50-85 degrees. Thats hardly what I call "mind numbing cold". Try again.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:25 AM

6,954 posts, read 9,049,221 times
In January average high 32, average low 18

Old 12-24-2008, 08:15 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,631,870 times
Quote:
Lets see here... the winter months in Chicago (November through early March) see average temps of 35 degrees. Sometimes its colder, sometimes its warmer. Then for the rest of the year we see temps beteween 50-85 degrees. Thats hardly what I call "mind numbing cold". Try again.
Exactly right Steve-o. I constantly hear people tell me that Chicago winters are unbearable. Looking at the average temperatures tells a different story. Too many people exagerate too much these days to make a point.

Now if you want something that may qualify as mind-numbing cold, look at the temperatures over the last 10 days across eastern Montana, North Dakota and Minnessota. For the lower 48, those places have serious cold. Chicago isn't even close to those temperatures. Some of those areas have continuous days and nights below zero. I'm looking forward to moving to NoDak in the next couple of years - but I like cold and harsh winter weather so bring it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.