U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 189 48.21%
Southern summer 203 51.79%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 11:29 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,453,639 times

Advertisements

Winters are more unbearable, I think it is easier to cool down than to warm up. Another plus, you don't have to shovel heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 11:32 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,206,999 times
This has to be the closest poll in the history of this forum...

Old 12-25-2008, 11:33 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,677,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Winters are more unbearable, I think it is easier to cool down than to warm up. Another plus, you don't have to shovel heat.
Exactly. I might not be the biggest fan of heat and humidity, but I've sort of because use to it and it dosen't bother me to the point where I lock myself in my house all day. I've worked in the heat and that was bad, but I wasn't just completely miserable; However, when it was cold....now that was TORTURE. I try my best to avoid going out in the cold.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:39 PM

6,954 posts, read 9,049,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
A temperature drop like that for Chicago in 2 hours does not sound right. You have to be careful with those temperature maps. I have frequently observed them to not update in many hours. Probably a computer glitch. To find out if that 2 hour 50 degree drop is real, we could consult the National Weather Service historical data. Chicago doesn't drop 50 degress in 2 hours - maybe someplace out on the high plains or rockies, but not Chicago.
I am sure that was in winter 2007/2008

Old 12-26-2008, 09:34 AM

142 posts, read 314,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Well, it's always a tradeoff; blizzards and ice storms in the North, but severe thunderstorms, hailstorms, tornadoes, and hurricanes in the South.

I don't see this as a fair tradeoff; the north also experiences severe thunderstorms, hail and hurricaines.

And back to my original point; the severe weather in the winter has a greater impact than does the severe weather in the summer. Schools are closed in the summer; they are open in the winter and the severe weather has a negative impact on school closings and commuting.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:02 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,001,496 times
Southern summers. I've lived in the South (TN) my whole life and I HATE summer. I usually stay inside during the day because it's so unbearable. If I stay outside for even 10 minutes, i feel so nasty & sweaty, like I need to take a shower. I've been to Toronto, Canada & Buffalo, New York during the winter and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between a Memphis winter, except there was more snow. Now i'm not saying that it's not colder up there, of course it is, but I couldn't feel the difference.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:48 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,574,299 times
The Northern winters.....I would die.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:22 PM

13,789 posts, read 7,322,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
For me the cold is better. I like snowboarding, cross country skiing, ice skating, ice climbing, etc. We still play pick up football. If we want to play basketball, we can find a gym somewhere. I still go mountain biking. Plenty of activities to do in the cold weather. I like playing sports much better in the cold.
Besides, activities aren't what I was getting at originally. My day to day schedule is more affected when its hot and humid. I have to wear suits for work and even with air conditioning, I still get hot. I have to walk around outside sometimes ,and its unbearable to be dressed up and hot. The simple act of going out to eat, or going to a bar is ruined because its too hot for me. Snow removal is very good here so being hindered by slippery roads really is not a problem.
This describes me totally...I've lived most of my life in the south but I definitely choose the cooler climate of the north now. Let me add snowshoeing to the list of activities my friends and I love to do when it's nice and snowy outside!

Old 12-28-2008, 08:16 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,756,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Southern summers. I've lived in the South (TN) my whole life and I HATE summer. I usually stay inside during the day because it's so unbearable. If I stay outside for even 10 minutes, i feel so nasty & sweaty, like I need to take a shower. I've been to Toronto, Canada & Buffalo, New York during the winter and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between a Memphis winter, except there was more snow. Now i'm not saying that it's not colder up there, of course it is, but I couldn't feel the difference.
You really couldnt feel the difference? Wow. Winter in canada is brutal. I guess because you lived in TN and TN is a higher elevation then FL or louisiana or east TX. If you lived in those parts of the south you would feel a MAJOR difference in winters in those parts then in those places up north. And summers are pretty bad up there too. It may not be humid up there but they certainly have MASSIVE heat waves in those northern cities.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:18 PM

297 posts, read 401,118 times
I'd much rather deal with a Chicago winter than southern summers. I'm also one of these people that really enjoys the Seattle-ey 45 degree cloudy cool stuff. Love that.

The advantages of having bad winter/good summer for me also include:

A: the days are LONGER in the summer. Rather my nice weather be when the sun sets at 9:00 than at 4:30.

B: winter hits at Christmastime which makes it enjoyable for a month. So, that really only leaves 2 bad months--and during that time you take a vacation somewhere warm. And during that time I'm inside watching football on TV (playoffs) anyway so the weather might as well be bad outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.