U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 189 48.21%
Southern summer 203 51.79%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 08:26 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,968,158 times

Advertisements

I don't even think the winters here are that bad.. southern summers, even the summers here can get pretty uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 10:46 PM

322 posts, read 984,454 times
Unfortuately, the more unbearable of the two has to be the Northern Winters. It's just First of all you have to deal with Biting Frigid Air...that gives you Frostbite pretty easily... and not to mention you have to wear Extra Clothing... which i can't stand doing.. it makes you look fatter and smaller... being not that tall anyways.. it's always best to just wear a t-shirt and shorts anywhere you know...maximize your height and shape ...lol so i mean.. there's no way.. you can do that from i'd say mid october to about Early April.. in the North.. lol so that also sucks.. and you know there's snow every where.. which..i love... but still really inconvienent...lol it's Beautiful ...but to an Extent...

The only real thing wrong with the northern Winters is that it's not really Beautiful outside... just Dead everything... you know... Dead Trees ... No green... no leaves ... nothing.. that's awesome to look at.. in the summertime it's green everywhere... it's great... it's amazing the Beauty of spring and summer and fall...at least early fall..and the ugliness of wintertime... especially in a place where there isn't snow... like Fresno,ca.... lol... had to add fresno in this topic... haha

great thread!

Old 06-28-2009, 11:11 PM

500 posts, read 1,256,412 times
^ *chuckles* I wonder if you've ever actually lived here on the east coast at all? As in, both places? North and South? Southern California gets the New England summer weather so I don't expect you guys to not understand huminity that much. (And what's wrong with Fall? The 4 seasons can be very pretty. Especially, when the leaves turn orange and during the Spring when Hanami is celebrated across several states.)

As for the poll, the most unbearable definitely has to be the southern summer heat! =.= If it's 90 degrees and up, you'll feel like you have to be in the "shade" all the time (codename: indoors). Old people would have to stay cautious under these conditions. Sure, it might be the perfect beach weather, but if you're far from the beach doing something else... Eeh... Not fun.

Wintertime in my area is very bearable since it only last 3 months. You can go outside during the wintertime. When it snows, you just got to drive carefully. Plus, it's in season for the holidays. <3

Old 06-29-2009, 12:13 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,909,420 times
As I've said before, I experience both where I live...each has their ups and downs. I personally would take the bitter cold and snow over the hot and unbearily humid summers. It's all relative though, and there are ways to handle each. I personally think you can either b*tch and moan about your weather or just accept it for what it is. We all obviously are still alive to tell the tale and have live in our respective areas for years, so clearly neither one is totally unbearable.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:52 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,057,064 times
Would be interesting to see what the results would be if only those who have experienced at least one full season of both were allowed to vote.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:25 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,995,008 times
Southern winters are almost unbearable for me. Those cold fronts when it drops down to 40s at night, im freezing. And if it drops down the the 30s, im scrabling to cover my tropical plants. I can't imagine dealing with snow every winter.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:24 PM

43 posts, read 404,968 times
Born and raised in Northern N.Y(27yrs) and The past 9 in Kentucky...I've seen the best and worst both have to offer. And for me Ky is by far the worst. Unberarably hot summers and brutally cold winter with no snow. At least in N.Y I could snowshoe and ski. I'd move back to N.Y in a heart beat if I could afford it.

As a matter of fact,I'm looking to move to a place somewhere between the two extremes...anyone have a clue as to where that might be?

Old 06-29-2009, 03:22 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,177,379 times
I'll second that finding Noreaster! The summers I lived in Texas was the worst seasons I have ever lived through. So darn hot it felt like a person should just melt away. I can always get warm, it isn't so easy to stay cool IMHO.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:38 PM

83 posts, read 249,197 times
Cold winters. Everytime. They can KILL you.

I could recycle some well researched demographic theories on hot vs. cold regions, but I will stick to the obvious - old people don't move to the "snowbelt", nor are there "heatbirds". People don't stay home from work because it is too hot to drive. If you drink to much and pass out on your yard in the Southern summer, the worst that can happen is insect bites and being licked by a stray dog. Nobody from Florida says "I've had it with this weather, I am moving to Michigan!"

Old 06-29-2009, 04:20 PM

10,884 posts, read 10,576,084 times
Give me the cold anytime. All the way down to below zero and I'm fine. The higher the temp above 60 F, the more uncomfortable I become. I dislike anything above about 75. I hate anything above 90 F. I'm homicidal at about 100 F and above. It's 96 F today, so I'm not happy.

The way I see it, if I'm too cold, I can put another layer on. If I'm too hot (and sweating my brains out), I have two choices: stop my activity and sweat some more, or have a heat stroke.

To me, being confined to an air-conditioned house is less desirable than putting a coat on and braving the cold.

Honestly, I donít mind the cold. I hate the heat and baking sun. But I think Iím best sort of in between. Iím in heaven at about 40 - 60 F and overcast skies to where itís fairly bright but diffused light. Maybe a bit misty and nice fresh air. Ahhh, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.