U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 189 48.21%
Southern summer 203 51.79%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:41 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,752,281 times

Advertisements

I don't mind being outside and doing things when the temps are below 0. All I can bear to do in 100 degree heat is sit and watch a baseball game... if it's in the shade... with a breeze... okay, honestly? I'd rather stay home and watch it on TV if it's 100 or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 09:59 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,389,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I heard that Minnesota gets consecutive weeks of -10 degree HIGH temperatures at a time. Not sure I can handle that.

There is a reason why only Scandanavians/Germans live there...lol

Old 12-15-2008, 01:12 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,722,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Northern winters. Give me 90 degrees with 108% humidity any day and a 5 on the DARN scale. I'd rather sweat with no A/C than shovel snow, almost kill myself driving on ice, freeze, have to wear heavy clothing, freeze, and just be cold
Those are things you learn to tough out up here. I drive all the time in the snow and ice and I slip and slide but I can control it... No matter how much snow there is. My Dad's Suburban was stuck in the driveway from 6PM until about 11PM... We spent almost 5 hours outside pushing, digging, throwing sand beneath the tires, and placing the winter floor mats underneath the truck's tires until we finally got it out... Freezing temps, snow coming in sideways stinging your face, and 45+ MPH winds coming off Lake Erie... This particular incident was in Buffalo, NY.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:14 PM

193 posts, read 429,544 times
Northern winters! I've spent summers in both Texas and Orlando (lived in both) and with all the AC these days and all of the pools, I didn't think they were too bad.

CT isn't even that cold, but it's way to cold for me! I hate putting on so many layers, my skin feeling so dry, feeling so pale and having little energy because it's too cold out. It's really depressing. The sun goes down at 4:30 and you can't even go outside and take a walk, go for a swim, etc like I used to be able to in Florida. You just feel stuck.

Just my two centS!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:16 PM

240 posts, read 393,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I heard that Minnesota gets consecutive weeks of -10 degree HIGH temperatures at a time. Not sure I can handle that.

It does get and stay cold here, but we don't get consecutive weeks of -10 degree highs. In fact, I doubt we get consecutive weeks of below 0 highs. We might get 3-5 consecutive DAYS of below 0 for highs, but that's about it.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:19 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,722,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoverme View Post
Northern winters! I've spent summers in both Texas and Orlando (lived in both) and with all the AC these days and all of the pools, I didn't think they were too bad.

CT isn't even that cold, but it's way to cold for me! I hate putting on so many layers, my skin feeling so dry, feeling so pale and having little energy because it's too cold out. It's really depressing. The sun goes down at 4:30 and you can't even go outside and take a walk, go for a swim, etc like I used to be able to in Florida. You just feel stuck.

Just my two centS!
The sun goes down at 4:30? Does the same thing in Florida now, doesn't it? We all live on planet Earth, don't we? Do you not set your clocks forward down there? And that's a good thing. I hate the sun. All it does is blind you. There's plenty of light to see where you're going on a cloudy day... As if I need the sun blasting my eyes out.

Anyway, most of us are so acclimated to it that we don't become dry, pale, or lose energy. And heat steals much more energy from you than cold.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:23 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,361,508 times
southern summers. When I was a kid and had to go to South Carolina or Florida in July or August I could only go outside if it was after 7 pm, but then you had to worry about the mosquitoes.

The cold doesn't bother me. Except feburary and March (if the warmer temps haven't started yet) when you want spring to come back in. I like cold and snow for a few months.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:27 PM

193 posts, read 429,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
The sun goes down at 4:30? Does the same thing in Florida now, doesn't it? We all live on planet Earth, don't we? Do you not set your clocks forward down there? And that's a good thing. I hate the sun. All it does is blind you. There's plenty of light to see where you're going on a cloudy day... As if I need the sun blasting my eyes out.

Anyway, most of us are so acclimated to it that we don't become dry, pale, or lose energy. And heat steals much more energy from you than cold.
If you read my post correctly, you would have read that I said that in Florida, I at least was able to go outside on walks at night or go swimming.

There's no need to be so argumentative about somebody's opinion. Don't take it so personally That's great that you have become acclimated. Although I've lived in CT for 19 years, with the exception of a few years in the South, I have yet to feel used to the winters up here.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:27 PM

15,031 posts, read 31,400,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Southern summers.

I lived in Mobile, AL for a time. Summer months were like death.
I have heard it all now.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:28 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,562,184 times
Northern winter. Its horrible. Driving in it. The heating bills. The dry skin, cracking hands and dry face and lips. Being dark when you leave work. Its brutal. I love heat and summer time.

G Rizzle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.