U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 189 48.21%
Southern summer 203 51.79%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:37 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,470,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I know what you mean. I have been to Dallas,TX and 100 degreesF in Dallas,TX was more bearable to me than 85 degreesF in Atlanta.
I don't know too many folks who would agree with you there. After all, Dallas is not THAT dry. not to mention atlanta has a MUCH higher elevation.

North Georgia summers are actually pretty fair compared to Texas summers. In my opinion anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 08:46 PM

4,102 posts, read 7,370,377 times
I've experienced several winters in New England and several summers in Central Texas. Southern summers are more physically unbearable and northern winters are more psychologically unbearable. At least in the heat, you can swim and see the sunshine-- even if you are inside. It is also a hell of a lot less isolating.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:10 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,433,307 times
^As has been mentioned many times on this thread, there is only one sentence necessary to bring this arguement to a close.... FOREVER!!!!!!

"You can always put clothes on, but there is only so much clothing you can take off"

(and yes, the amount of clothing you think is acceptable to take off is most likely much more than the amount of clothing the general public thinks is acceptable for you to take off)

Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 PM

322 posts, read 985,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Reader View Post
I was born in Puerto Rico and go to school in central Florida. Summer heat feels good to me. Florida's winters are almost unbearable for me.
If you can't handle Florida's Winters... shocking enough as to hear that...lol maybe Hawaii would be Perfect.. the temperature never gets below 60....very super rare that it does..

Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 PM

322 posts, read 985,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
^ *chuckles* I wonder if you've ever actually lived here on the east coast at all? As in, both places? North and South? Southern California gets the New England summer weather so I don't expect you guys to not understand huminity that much. (And what's wrong with Fall? The 4 seasons can be very pretty. Especially, when the leaves turn orange and during the Spring when Hanami is celebrated across several states.)

As for the poll, the most unbearable definitely has to be the southern summer heat! =.= If it's 90 degrees and up, you'll feel like you have to be in the "shade" all the time (codename: indoors). Old people would have to stay cautious under these conditions. Sure, it might be the perfect beach weather, but if you're far from the beach doing something else... Eeh... Not fun.

Wintertime in my area is very bearable since it only last 3 months. You can go outside during the wintertime. When it snows, you just got to drive carefully. Plus, it's in season for the holidays. <3

uhh...lol No.. not the Entire state of california is 65 Degrees in the summertime... just the Immediate coastline... which almost no one lives near... here... lol for the majority California is a Desert... that means temperatures actually get HOT!!! anywhere from 100 to 125 is the Average highest temperature for July and Most of August... i mean.. this isn't Eureka,ca where it's 60 for the high and 49 for the low average for the Dead of July... that's actually the coolest Place in the US for Summertime.. Besides Alaska.. but still... yeah i've spent last summer in Florida... with mid 90's and 100 percent humidity...

Guess what? It felt Great.. I'll take Humid heat over Dry Heat any day.. and also.. not every californian hates Wintertime... that's just a stereotype ... people buy into.. it's bogus... obviously you haven't heard me on this forum before... lol i can't stand California..and i hate Fresno,ca... lol.. don't mean to sound rude.. but hey... don't believe fake phony stereotypes... everyone has there own preferences.. you can't judge people based on where they live.. Given the opportunity i'd move to the East Coast in a heart beat... you should read some of my threads.. where i clearly state that... lol take care buddy..

Old 06-30-2009, 09:56 PM

860 posts, read 1,756,317 times
Oh, there's nothin' better than a bitter cold winter with a full woodshed, a full pantry, a dog in front of the fire, a good book and snow piling up to the windows. I can't breathe in the kind of heat you poor folks get down south.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:38 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,061,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
^As has been mentioned many times on this thread, there is only one sentence necessary to bring this arguement to a close.... FOREVER!!!!!!

"You can always put clothes on, but there is only so much clothing you can take off"

(and yes, the amount of clothing you think is acceptable to take off is most likely much more than the amount of clothing the general public thinks is acceptable for you to take off)
That saying isn't true for everyone. I am cold during the Northern winter no matter how much clothing I put on. I don't mind the heat so I don't care if there's only so much clothing I can take off in the summer.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 AM

48,284 posts, read 45,576,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I don't know too many folks who would agree with you there. After all, Dallas is not THAT dry. not to mention atlanta has a MUCH higher elevation.

North Georgia summers are actually pretty fair compared to Texas summers. In my opinion anyway
To me, summers in Atlanta are miserable. I can't have humidity. Sure Dallas was hot, but the humidity was comparatively low, so it didn't feel as opressive as Atlanta.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:05 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,470,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
To me, summers in Atlanta are miserable. I can't have humidity. Sure Dallas was hot, but the humidity was comparatively low, so it didn't feel as opressive as Atlanta.
I'm sure most Texans would take an Atlanta summer anyday. Temperatures and heat indices have been soaring over 100 the past few weeks here and I'm worn out.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:16 AM

48,284 posts, read 45,576,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I'm sure most Texans would take an Atlanta summer anyday. Temperatures and heat indices have been soaring over 100 the past few weeks here and I'm worn out.
I don't know. If it was 100 degreesF in Atlanta, then I would probably be knocking on the grim reapers door. You should take into account heat AND humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.