U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 189 48.21%
Southern summer 203 51.79%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:16 PM

18,639 posts, read 27,073,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Well yeah, those that are in north Texas probably have similar weather to the mid-atlantic. I know that. But he lives in Houston, where the weather isn't all that different from Florida. I really hope he's joking about putting a fireplace on in the 70s...why you would even need a fireplace in south Texas or in Florida is beyond me.
Actually, Houston can get down there as well. I'm sure you don't remember Christmas Eve 2004 where parts of the Houston area and areas close to it received 5-13 inches of snow.

It's rare though. But Houston can get pretty chilly. In fact, it gets colder than Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 09:18 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,246,890 times
But putting on a fireplace when it's in the 70s??? It's silly to have a fireplace in a place that rarely gets below ~40 degrees in the winter.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:42 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,468,946 times
Quote:
I'm not pretending, that's the funny thing
yeah don't kid yourself sweetheart

Old 07-04-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Well yeah, those that are in north Texas probably have similar weather to the mid-atlantic. I know that. But he lives in Houston, where the weather isn't all that different from Florida. I really hope he's joking about putting a fireplace on in the 70s...why you would even need a fireplace in south Texas or in Florida is beyond me.
Geography lesson: Houston is not in South Texas it's in the southern third of East Texas. AND BEFORE YOU SAY IT IS No its not the same thing.

And southeast Texas can get very cold.

On the other hand i do agree about having a fireplace in most places down south. It's an unnecessary burden

Old 07-04-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Geography lesson: Houston is not in South Texas it's in the southern third of East Texas. AND BEFORE YOU SAY IT IS No its not the same thing.

And southeast Texas can get very cold.

On the other hand i do agree about having a fireplace in most places down south. It's an unnecessary burden

Well, I know where Houston is located in Texas (if I were given a map of Texas I could probably point out a few cities), I thought it was considered south Texas. It's in the hotter section of the state too.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Well, I know where Houston is located in Texas (if I were given a map of Texas I could probably point out a few cities), I thought it was considered south Texas. It's in the hotter section of the state too.
Not exactly. While it is in the more humid part of the state, the san antonio region (south texas) actually averages higher temperatures than Houston.

It doesn't really get "cooler" the further north you go in the state (excluding the panhandle). But on any given day the weather in texarkana (northeast tex) is going to be very similar to Houston.

During fall/winter is when youll notice a difference from the humid areas and the drier areas. That runs east and west.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:29 AM

83 posts, read 249,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
and nobody stays home from work because it's "too cold to drive", that's just rediculous. Do you actually live in a 4 seasons climate?

if you pass out on your yard in the south look out for the fire ants
No, I live in the notoriously monoclimatic New York - the only indication of changing seasons is the appearance of heavily quilted Yankees jackets and steam rising from manholes, as in the iconic intro to the TV series Night Court. Oh yeah, and lets not forget bums huddling around flaming oil drums. At least that is what I see on TV.......

Really, though - I was just referencing a general demographic trend, which is that people have been moving to areas of nicer weather for decades, and nicer weather is indeed warmer weather. Perhaps cold per se does not prevent one from driving to work, but the evil cousins of cold (ice, snow, freezing rain, blizzards) often do. A day of 102 heat may make leather seats quite hot, but you can still get to work (god forbid you touch the chrome in your car, god double forbid your car has lots of chrome in the interior). Yes, rednecks and the frail are killed by heat in far greater numbers every year. But at least you die with a tan.

People should live where they want - and not get terribly defensive when other people express dissatisfaction with things as elemential as "cold" or "heat". For me (and millions of other semi-mobile Americans), a bitter cold winter looses its recreational novelty in about 2 days, and becomes far more hellish than a hot, humid summer (which is bad also). A wiser man than myself once said "wear what you dig".

Old 07-05-2009, 07:37 AM

18,264 posts, read 7,279,578 times
Quote:
But putting on a fireplace when it's in the 70s??? It's silly to have a fireplace in a place that rarely gets below ~40 degrees in the winter.
Just as it's silly to have air conditioning in a place that rarely peeks over 75-80 degrees.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:30 AM

18,639 posts, read 27,073,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Not exactly. While it is in the more humid part of the state, the san antonio region (south texas) actually averages higher temperatures than Houston.

It doesn't really get "cooler" the further north you go in the state (excluding the panhandle). But on any given day the weather in texarkana (northeast tex) is going to be very similar to Houston.

During fall/winter is when youll notice a difference from the humid areas and the drier areas. That runs east and west.
Not only is San Antonio hotter but so is DFW. In fact, that area along I-35 is much hotter than Houston.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:39 AM

It's only 9:30am in Houston and the heat index is already 93 degrees...no thank you. I'll take my 72 degrees (that feels like 72 degrees)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.