Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 190 48.35%
Southern summer 203 51.65%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:30 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Well yeah, those that are in north Texas probably have similar weather to the mid-atlantic. I know that. But he lives in Houston, where the weather isn't all that different from Florida. I really hope he's joking about putting a fireplace on in the 70s...why you would even need a fireplace in south Texas or in Florida is beyond me.
I live in both Waco and Houston. I'm in Waco lots of time during the winter, and summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 11:15 AM

157 posts, read 397,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
It may be 90 up here for a few days, but then a cold front comes through and it's back to a beautiful 70 degrees for the next week, unlike the south where its oppressively hot and humid for half the year.
I've seen cities such as St. Louis and Chicago broil under oppressive 90 - 100 degree heat waves for weeks at a time. Just recently, a woman died outside of St. Louis due to a heat wave.

Quote:
Also, I'll take our historic architecture over the south's numerous subdivisions, cookie-cutter houses, strip malls, and other forms of disgusting sprawl.
I heard this argument frequently when I lived in a large Rust Belt city. I suppose it's just a personal preference. I'll take my modern infrastructure, nice wide car-friendly streets and highways, parking lots as opposed to limited off-the-street parking, and NEW buildings that aren't falling to pieces over the derelict buildings and outdated design of Northern-tier cities that were built out before automobiles became a fact of life. That so-called "sprawl" provides a wide variety of recreational and shopping activities within easy reach. Having lived in old buildings and being aware of all their associated problems, so-called "historic architecture" does very little for me. And as far as "disgusting", I can hardly think of areas that deserve that title more than the many decaying and empty neighborhoods of Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:49 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
It may be 90 up here for a few days, but then a cold front comes through and it's back to a beautiful 70 degrees for the next week, unlike the south where its oppressively hot and humid for half the year. Also, I'll take our historic architecture over the south's numerous subdivisions, cookie-cutter houses, strip malls, and other forms of disgusting sprawl.
You have just described Mishawaka. Guess you do all your shopping elsewhere.

The Midwest sprawls JUST AS BADLY as the rest of the country.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:58 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You have just described Mishawaka. Guess you do all your shopping elsewhere.

The Midwest sprawls JUST AS BADLY as the rest of the country.
Why would you even cherry pick Mishawaka, IN as a place the poster you quoted would go shopping? K-Zoo (Kalamazoo where his name would indicate they are from) is quite a ways away from the South Bend area, and the weather is quite a bit different as well. K-Zoo is further North and more in the weather pattern affected by Lake Michigan.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:00 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Why would you even cherry pick Mishawaka, IN as a place the poster you quoted would go shopping? K-Zoo (Kalamazoo where his name would indicate they are from) is quite a ways away from the South Bend area, and the weather is quite a bit different as well. K-Zoo is further North and more in the weather pattern affected by Lake Michigan.
Simple, because he lives in Niles. Most people in the South Bend area have to go the sprawlville of Mishawaka for their lovely big box offerings. Portage is too far, but it basically is the same thing, different verse.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:04 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Simple, because he lives in Niles. Most people in the South Bend area have to go the sprawlville of Mishawaka for their lovely big box offerings. Portage is too far, but it basically is the same thing, different verse.
gotca' Didn't know where he lived for sure, but was going by is name which would indicate K-zoo. Niles and Michawaka being darn near the same is so correct.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:20 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It's only 9:30am in Houston and the heat index is already 93 degrees...no thank you. I'll take my 72 degrees (that feels like 72 degrees)
This year houston and texas are experiencing unusually high temperatures for this early in the summer. It usually isn't this hot until july/august.

Besides, you know good and well that New York can, and has gotten just as hot. Remember that heat wave a few years back? it got hotter in parts of the mid-Atlantic than it ever got in Houston.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:23 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
This year houston and texas are experiencing unusually high temperatures for this early in the summer. It usually isn't this hot until july/august.

Besides, you know good and well that New York can, and has gotten just as hot. Remember that heat wave a few years back? it got hotter in parts of the mid-Atlantic than it ever got in Houston.
Yeah, for like 3 days every few years...lol. Big deal.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:25 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Did you forget that's it's summer in the Gulf Coast region? That's what suppose to happen down there. Just like when December comes and New York is in the 20s, Houstonians are enjoying their upper 50s in the morning and lower 70s in the afternoon.
well actually not at all Texans enjoy it all the time. I would certainly love to have more winter weather than we usually get.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:03 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Quote:
I'm from Kzoo, live in Niles now. I hate South Bend. I really hate Mishawaka, I avoid it like the plague unless there is something I REALLY need from the mall or one of the big-box stores. I do most of my shopping in Niles, or in Kalamazoo/Portage when I'm up there.

Also, the main difference between Midwest sprawl and Southern sprawl is scope. There might be the same type of sprawl in the Midwest, but it is not nearly as expansive as in the South. Mishawaka is one area in South Bend, while Atlanta has sprawl/strip malls/subdivisions that go on for more than 40 miles. Even Chicago, which is much bigger than Atlanta or Charlotte, has public transportation throughout it's suburbs, something which the "sun belt" cities truly lack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.