U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 189 48.21%
Southern summer 203 51.79%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:53 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,204,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
I'll take my modern infrastructure, nice wide car-friendly streets and highways, parking lots as opposed to limited off-the-street parking, and NEW buildings that aren't falling to pieces over the derelict buildings and outdated design of Northern-tier cities that were built out before automobiles became a fact of life. That so-called "sprawl" provides a wide variety of recreational and shopping activities within easy reach.
I just threw up a little.

EDIT:....automobiles are "a fact of life"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,975,731 times
It is now 11 AM and the temperature in Naples, Florida is 88 degrees with a heat index of 97. It is still morning. By afternoon it will be over 100 degrees.

It is 75 degrees now in NY with a heat index of 75 degrees. Very happy to be here right now instead of back in Florida.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:46 AM

157 posts, read 342,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I just threw up a little.

EDIT:....automobiles are "a fact of life"?
Only since 1950 or so.

I could care less how many of the urban elitist types I offend. I've lived in "walkable" neighborhoods as well as very auto-dependent suburbs. And in my opinion, "walkability" has to be the single most overrated term in urban planning today. If hyper-dense "walkable" neighborhoods had such overwhelming appeal, they would not have been steadily depopulating for the last 50 years - with the exception of latte-sipping liberals, with no kids, under the age of 30, who are willing to pay $2,000/month for some 500 square foot, one bedroom box.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:21 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,633,801 times
Funny, I never realized that only childless liberals under the age of 30 lived in densly populated urban areas. I guess I missed that memo.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:39 AM

48,235 posts, read 45,529,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
Only since 1950 or so.

I could care less how many of the urban elitist types I offend. I've lived in "walkable" neighborhoods as well as very auto-dependent suburbs. And in my opinion, "walkability" has to be the single most overrated term in urban planning today. If hyper-dense "walkable" neighborhoods had such overwhelming appeal, they would not have been steadily depopulating for the last 50 years - with the exception of latte-sipping liberals, with no kids, under the age of 30, who are willing to pay $2,000/month for some 500 square foot, one bedroom box.
If that is so overrated, then how come a person like myself is miserable living in the suburbs? Personally, I think the sprawling suburbs are among some of the worst places to live. If you don't have a car, then you will have a diffcult time getting anywhere. I was a kid who wanted to live in the city. Why? Where I lived there wasn't alot to do and I didn't constantly want to ask my mother/father to take me places. Subdivisions and roads without sidewalks make for bad places to live. How do I know? I live in a place like that. In the summer such a place is a horror zone. Southern heat makes the suburbs a bad place if you don't have a car. I have walked in a suburb before and the summer heat makes walking around in long distances worse than winter cold. At least in the cold I can enjoy my walk and stay warm. In the heat, AC is required. If I did have the money to live in the city, I would take that chance because to me there is more to offer than the suburbs. Maybe you like spending alot of time driving, but I don't. I don't even have a car.
The reason the cities have been depopulating is because many people are looking for bigger backyards and reasons to be smug. I don't have to have a big backyard. I just need to be in a place where I can walk to work or school(or take the subway or bus), and be near the places I love(church,cafes,libraries,parks,swimming pools,etc.).

Old 07-06-2009, 12:36 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,469,222 times
All of this is WAY off topic

Old 07-06-2009, 07:55 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,305,280 times
I pick southern summers as more bearable... I mean, atleast we can go outside and stuff, we just need to wear less clothing and drink more water. Honestly, southern summers are not THAT bad, some people are just wimps i guess. I spent my Independence day outside all day at BBQ on a camp ground with a cold natural spring in it, i didn't even notice the heat much, and when i did the spring was a great refreshment and its recreational.

But in northern winters, your pretty much stuck inside, you can't really be active as much as you can in southern summers. When you want to go outside you have to layer your self up (which is a hassle) AND you have to shovel snow and what not. If i want to enjoy the snow i can just take ski trip, or something. I wouldn't want to LIVE in it.

BTW: I like sweating, it releases toxins out of your body and feels good, id rather sweat than shiver.

(this is just MY preference, please don't take offense)

Old 07-06-2009, 08:12 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,177,379 times
I pick Northern Winters as more bearable... I mean, at least we can go outside and stuff, we just need to wear the proper clothing. Honestly, Northern Winters are not THAT bad, some people are just wimps I guess. I spent my Independence day outside all day at BBQ on a camp ground and didn't need to take a dip in a cold spring to break the heat. I also spent all day Christmas Day sledding with the kids and playing outside making snowforts and having a snowball fight, didn't even notice the cold, and when we did come in, a nice mug of hot Chocolate with marshmallows took the edge off and it was nice.

But in Southern Summers, you're pretty much stuck inside, you can't really be active as much as you can in Northern winters. When you want to go outside you have to slather yourself up with sun block (which is a hassle) AND you have to deal with triple digit heat and what not. If I want to enjoy the heat I can just take a cruise, or something. I wouldn't want to LIVE in it.

BTW: I don't like sweating, it releases toxins and odor out of your body and stinks, I'd rather not sweat or shiver.

(this is just MY preference, please don't take offense)

Old 07-06-2009, 08:49 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,210,316 times
Food for thought: Fort Wayne only averages 14 days each year where the temperature exceeds 90 degrees. The hottest it's been all summer is 91, and it hasn't been 100 degrees here since 1988. Yesterday's high was 70 degrees.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:02 PM

1,426 posts, read 2,594,173 times
Wow, so far the north has the edge. Fewer old folks on these forums than I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.