U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 189 48.21%
Southern summer 203 51.79%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:14 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,162,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Wow, so far the north has the edge. Fewer old folks on these forums than I thought.
This is one of the closest polls I have seen in a LONG time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 09:26 PM

258 posts, read 247,699 times
A Florida summer is far longer than any Northern Winter. Some of the other states not nearly as bad so it is all relative. Also you can get freak nice days in winter up north, sunny and 50's even in January, I remember a sunny 70 degree day in New York in February. In Florida you never get a seconds break once summer hits, it wears you down and destroys you, six months of pure HELL, the worst HELL on earth!!!

Old 07-06-2009, 10:10 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,275,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
This is one of the closest polls I have seen in a LONG time.
It's been almost neck and neck for months now.I vote Southern Summer is more unbearable.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:38 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,468,114 times
One thing I don't like about cold winters is what it can do to your body:

chapped lips
hard skin and dry skin
wind burn
possible frost bite
runny nose (and a sore nose from wiping it with cheap tissue)
possibility of getting a cold
possibility of catching pneumonia

I've dealt with atleast one of these things everytime it got below freezing in Texas.

During southern summers, all you really have to worry about is:

Getting tired easily
Sweating
the sun in your face
getting a tan
showering twice a day
heat stroke (which is unlikely in a young/middle aged healthy person)
sun burn (also unlikely as there's shade EVERYWHERE)

But other than that your body responds better to heat than it does to brutal cold. As long as you stay hydrated which is as easy as getting to a water fountain.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:04 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,050,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Wow, so far the north has the edge. Fewer old folks on these forums than I thought.
It's not just old people that want to live somewhere warm.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:16 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,970,555 times
Default And not all old people

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
It's not just old people that want to live somewhere warm.
want to live somewhere warm, like me. If you don't tolerate hot or cold weather as a child, it will only intensify as you age. In discussing this, we more or less agreed that you will not go from one preference to the other when you get old.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:45 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,940,505 times
Quote:
I pick Northern Winters as more bearable... I mean, at least we can go outside and stuff, we just need to wear the proper clothing. Honestly, Northern Winters are not THAT bad, some people are just wimps I guess. I spent my Independence day outside all day at BBQ on a camp ground and didn't need to take a dip in a cold spring to break the heat. I also spent all day Christmas Day sledding with the kids and playing outside making snowforts and having a snowball fight, didn't even notice the cold, and when we did come in, a nice mug of hot Chocolate with marshmallows took the edge off and it was nice.

But in Southern Summers, you're pretty much stuck inside, you can't really be active as much as you can in Northern winters. When you want to go outside you have to slather yourself up with sun block (which is a hassle) AND you have to deal with triple digit heat and what not. If I want to enjoy the heat I can just take a cruise, or something. I wouldn't want to LIVE in it.

BTW: I don't like sweating, it releases toxins and odor out of your body and stinks, I'd rather not sweat or shiver.

(this is just MY preference, please don't take offense)
It is the summer and I am in the south but I am not stuck inside. I am inside now because i have been working but am definitely not stuck inside. I can canoe and fish year round.

I have used sunblock maybe once in the last year and I am light skinned. Wear a hat and long sleeves if you are that worried. And no, you are not going to burn up wearing long sleeves, if you wear a loose long sleeve that is a breathable fabric you can be just as cool if not cooler than wearing a short sleeve. Take alook at what they wear in the middle east.

As far as triple digit heat, There may have been 5 days in my 19 years here where it reached triple digits. Usually low 90's is high during the summer where i am and that is fine by me.

BTW: Sweating and releasing toxins from your body is good for you. That is why the Scandinavian areas in Europe have many saunas.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:46 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,940,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
A Florida summer is far longer than any Northern Winter. Some of the other states not nearly as bad so it is all relative. Also you can get freak nice days in winter up north, sunny and 50's even in January, I remember a sunny 70 degree day in New York in February. In Florida you never get a seconds break once summer hits, it wears you down and destroys you, six months of pure HELL, the worst HELL on earth!!!
Wrong, that is all that needs to be said.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:48 AM

22,894 posts, read 16,272,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Taking into account the worst of both regions, would you rather not tolerate a Northern winter (Fargo), or a Southern summer (Dallas)?
Absolutely could not tolerate another northern winter.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:08 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,301,098 times
Quote:
I pick Northern Winters as more bearable... I mean, at least we can go outside and stuff, we just need to wear the proper clothing. Honestly, Northern Winters are not THAT bad, some people are just wimps I guess. I spent my Independence day outside all day at BBQ on a camp ground and didn't need to take a dip in a cold spring to break the heat. I also spent all day Christmas Day sledding with the kids and playing outside making snowforts and having a snowball fight, didn't even notice the cold, and when we did come in, a nice mug of hot Chocolate with marshmallows took the edge off and it was nice.

But in Southern Summers, you're pretty much stuck inside, you can't really be active as much as you can in Northern winters. When you want to go outside you have to slather yourself up with sun block (which is a hassle) AND you have to deal with triple digit heat and what not. If I want to enjoy the heat I can just take a cruise, or something. I wouldn't want to LIVE in it.

BTW: I don't like sweating, it releases toxins and odor out of your body and stinks, I'd rather not sweat or shiver.

(this is just MY preference, please don't take offense)
cool, you have an opinion too.. like we both said, thats our personal preference. idk why you wasted your time copying everything i said to try to make a point, cause i wasn't even trying to make a point. i was just stating my opinion. sorry bro...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.