Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 190 48.35%
Southern summer 203 51.65%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 06:55 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Weather Station History : Weather Underground

You remember 30/40's in April in Florida in your dreams, it was less than 50 only one time in April, 47 degrees and less than 60 only 3 days. EVERY SINGLE DAY IN APRIL THE HUMIDITY WAS GREATER THAN 80% this is as bad or worse than a Northern summer in June. Also who would ever live in a place like your JUNE, 12 days in a row over 95 with 90% humidity, with a high 0f 99, two days straight where the temperature was 98 with a low of 83. 3 to 4 months, still dreaming.
have a couple of nights in the 40s in FEBRUARY, but by April no way. By Noon on those days the temps rise at least 25/30 degrees when the sun has been out. May it is well into the 80s and very high humidity. I am on the gulf coast about 25 miles from the Everglades, so it is probably a lot hotter, and definitely more humid, than farther north and inland.

Summers here are definitely brutal. Since I am off from work all summer, I stay inside the entire time, but it won't really get "comfortable" until about JANUARY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 06:59 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,522 times
Having lived in both the North and the South, I'll take a Northern winter any day.

When it's cold, you can just put on another layer of clothes, throw another blanket on the bed, etc.....

When it's hot, you can only strip down so far before someone calls the law on you. Or laughs. Whichever comes first!!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:19 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
In April we ( Hernando County ) have a couple of days with lows in the 30's/40's but mostly in the 50's.

Most days average in the 60's or low 70's. One day the high hit 90 this past April for about 5 minutes.

The humidity averages in the 60's with the higher times of humidity is at night when it is cooler. The humidity may be 96% when it is 54 degrees in the moring but the sun comes up and the humidity will drop down to 25% at midday.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
I can deal with heat and humidity but can't stand cold.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:26 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I can deal with heat and humidity but can't stand cold.
I'll be in Shively next week.
How has the weather been?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:27 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
Having lived in both the North and the South, I'll take a Northern winter any day.

When it's cold, you can just put on another layer of clothes, throw another blanket on the bed, etc.....

When it's hot, you can only strip down so far before someone calls the law on you. Or laughs. Whichever comes first!!!!
That sounds about right. That is why I am trying to find another city to live in.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:13 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
ok, it hit 90 in march one day, does that mean summer started? NO. The humidity levels aren't high enough in march to make a 90 reading feel unbearable. I specifically remember it being in the 30s/40s in april this past year.

The first cold front of the season in 2008 came in mid October, thats when we start cooling down and the humidity levels go down. Even if it hits the 80s or rarely the 90s after october and before may, it IS NOT unbearable. Lemme break it down for you

Jan- cool, breezy, beautiful, nearly perfect weather
Feb- cool, breezy, beautiful, nearly perfect weather
March- cool breezy, Beautiful, nearly perfect weather with an exception of a few days on the warm side
April- Warm, breezy, beautiful weather, with an exception of a few cool days
May- nice, warm, breezy, weather, with some hot days, but dry
June- warm, hot, humid, afternoon showers or thunderstroms
July- warm, hot, humid, afternoon showers or thunderstroms
August- warm, hot, humid, afternoon showers or thunderstroms
Sept- warm, hot humid, less afternoon storms, less days in the 90s, more in the 80s
Oct- Warm, not as humid, first cool off occurs, cool breezy dry days
Nov- off and on with cool dry days, and warm days.
Dec- cool, breezy, beautiful, nearly perfect weather

So maybe i wasn't completely right saying its unbearable for 2-3 months, more like 3-4 months. But thats at most, and those unbearable 4 months aren't HELL, i can survive being outdoors for hours at a time on those days. Its much easier than staying outdoors for hours in the frozen air, and dangerous slippery road/walk ways..
Exactly. It hit 90 here in April. Does that mean New England summers start in April? Not even close.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
I have never lived through a harsh winter or summer. But, as a northerner, I think I would take summer.
How is it possible that you're a Northerner but have never lived through a harsh winter?

Old 07-08-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post

What some people don't seem to understand is that not everyone can stay warm just by putting on more clothes. I am cold during the Northern winter no matter how much clothing I wear. Maybe if I put on 5 layers I would stay warm, but even that's a maybe. Just like you say you can only take off so much clothing, you can only put on so much clothing before you look foolish. Who would want to wear 5 layers? I don't mind the heat and I don't get as hot as some people so I don't care if I can only take off so much clothing in the summer.

The bottom line is that people have to decide: wear a lot of clothing and still be slightly cold? wear not much clothing and still be slightly hot? I choose the latter.

I am not saying you're wrong, just that your preferences are different and not everyone has your preferences.

Last edited by city_data91; 07-08-2009 at 09:27 AM..

Old 07-08-2009, 09:23 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Weather Station History : Weather Underground

You remember 30/40's in April in Florida in your dreams, it was less than 50 only one time in April, 47 degrees and less than 60 only 3 days. EVERY SINGLE DAY IN APRIL THE HUMIDITY WAS GREATER THAN 80% this is as bad or worse than a Northern summer in June. Also who would ever live in a place like your JUNE, 12 days in a row over 95 with 90% humidity, with a high 0f 99, two days straight where the temperature was 98 with a low of 83. 3 to 4 months, still dreaming.
I like wunderground. I started using it when I was about 14 or 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.