U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 189 48.21%
Southern summer 203 51.79%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2009, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,186 posts, read 10,297,465 times
Reputation: 1589

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
You must have still been playing with your crayons in kindergarten when they teach you about leaves and seasons. Leaves die and fall off because of the season. Not the temperature. Ask any Texan. They'll tell you that the leaves are brown and falling off before the temp ever gets below 70. but thats anywhere really

And if leaves stay green all year that's because it's an EVERGREEN tree. Duh, man.

It rarely gets cold here nowadays. Many days can't even classify as being "cool". But bugs still really aren't anywhere to be found.
woww, what do you think seasons are??? Winter occurs when the suns rays are focused on the southern hemisphere, due to earths tilt, causing the Temperatures in the northern hemisphere (where the USA is) to cool down. Thats why it gets cooler in fall, and cold in winter. Trees change colors in some parts of the US because the TEMPERATURES drop, and they eventually die and fall off the tree, and bugs go away in the fall/winter because its cooler out and bugs like warm enviroments. I know for a fact its alot cooler in Texas in the winter time than it is in the summer time, thats why you don't see bugs.... There wouldn't even be seasons if temperatures didn't change.. YOU must have still been playing with your crayons in kindergarten bro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2009, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 2,467,083 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
woww, what do you think seasons are??? Winter occurs when the suns rays are focused on the southern hemisphere, due to earths tilt, causing the Temperatures in the northern hemisphere (where the USA is) to cool down. Thats why it gets cooler in fall, and cold in winter. Trees change colors in some parts of the US because the TEMPERATURES drop, and they eventually die and fall off the tree, and bugs go away in the fall/winter because its cooler out and bugs like warm enviroments. I know for a fact its alot cooler in Texas in the winter time than it is in the summer time, thats why you don't see bugs.... There wouldn't even be seasons if temperatures didn't change.. YOU must have still been playing with your crayons in kindergarten bro.
The growing season for plants automatically nears its end towards autumn. It has nothing to do with the temperature. You said yourself about the sun rays. The days get shorter and there is not enough light and water for photosynthesis. Which is why leaves wither and fall. Even if its still 75 degrees outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,186 posts, read 10,297,465 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
The growing season for plants automatically nears its end towards autumn. It has nothing to do with the temperature. You said yourself about the sun rays. The days get shorter and there is not enough light and water for photosynthesis. Which is why leaves wither and fall. Even if its still 75 degrees outside.
Then why do the orange tree crops in FL still grow during the winter time when the days are shorter and nights are longer? and pretty much every tree stays green here. Its because the temps are still warm enough for it, even though the day light period of the day is shorter. Yes SOME crops stop growing near autumn because theres not enough water and sunlight for photosynthesis, and same with some tree leaves. But our discussion started because you said bugs go away in the fall/winter regardless of the temps, which is false. I just mentioned trees to prove a point about the bugs. But either way, it all has to do with the temperatures, not what month it is. Each part of the world has different seasons for certain crops, and even bugs. But bugs don't just go away cause its a certain month of the year. There a reason they go away that particular month, its because THAT month is probably the month when the temps start cooling down because autumn is near, and they migrate to warmer places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 02:20 PM
 
3,597 posts, read 7,703,815 times
Reputation: 2878
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Then why do the orange tree crops in FL still grow during the winter time when the days are shorter and nights are longer?
Florida, being so much closer to the equator, receives stronger rays in the winter than other places.

Some flora doesn't die in winter, in warmer places. Some trees keep their leaves year round while others lose them as soon as the earth tilts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 2,467,083 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Then why do the orange tree crops in FL still grow during the winter time when the days are shorter and nights are longer? and pretty much every tree stays green here. Its because the temps are still warm enough for it, even though the day light period of the day is shorter. Yes SOME crops stop growing near autumn because theres not enough water and sunlight for photosynthesis, and same with some tree leaves. But our discussion started because you said bugs go away in the fall/winter regardless of the temps, which is false. I just mentioned trees to prove a point about the bugs. But either way, it all has to do with the temperatures, not what month it is. Each part of the world has different seasons for certain crops, and even bugs. But bugs don't just go away cause its a certain month of the year. There a reason they go away that particular month, its because THAT month is probably the month when the temps start cooling down because autumn is near, and they migrate to warmer places.
Is the orange tree a deciduous tree? Does your area of Florida have few or any deciduous plants. I don't know. However I do know what winters in texas are like, and youre basically telling me that my own experiences are wrong WHEN YOU HAVE YET TO TELL ME why there are no bugs and the leaves still fall when its warm over here in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,186 posts, read 10,297,465 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Is the orange tree a deciduous tree? Does your area of Florida have few or any deciduous plants. I don't know. However I do know what winters in texas are like, and youre basically telling me that my own experiences are wrong WHEN YOU HAVE YET TO TELL ME why there are no bugs and the leaves still fall when its warm over here in winter.
haha w/e bro, I'm just saying bugs migrate to places that fit there needs. I know for a fact Texas summers are a hell of a lot hotter then there winters, and thats why you don't see them in the winters, because the weather is cooler and the bugs migrated to warmer climates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 2,467,083 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
haha w/e bro, I'm just saying bugs migrate to places that fit there needs. I know for a fact Texas summers are a hell of a lot hotter then there winters, and thats why you don't see them in the winters, because the weather is cooler and the bugs migrated to warmer climates.
Yeah. because 76 degrees on a semi-humid day in January in central Texas are conditions far too unlivable for bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 03:22 PM
 
Location: USA
2,779 posts, read 6,683,825 times
Reputation: 1869
MrMcCoy, where in Texas do you live? I live just on the border of NE Texas in La and I don't particularly find the winters warm here. Cool, mild, sometimes cold for a spell, on occasion warm days, but not to describe as warm like Fla or S Az.

Oh I forgot about the warming of the earth. Yes it won't be too many mor e years before we are zone 9 and can grow without much worry citrus and the like. I would like an avocado tree myself.. But seriously, we still have fall colors every year and shed to bare, the grass browns, winter is here. Shorter days, chilly frosty nights, some well below freezing nights,drizzly rain, occasional ice storms (God Forbid), light snow, sleet, daytime temps below 32F. That is what I've seen here in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,186 posts, read 10,297,465 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Yeah. because 76 degrees on a semi-humid day in January in central Texas are conditions far too unlivable for bugs.
Yeah you might get a 76 degree semi-humid day, thats not that warm, and its also not consistent, like 80 degree weather is in summer. Bugs aren't going to just crawl and fly to Texas every time they have a KIND OF warm day in winter, and then leave the next day when it gets colder. They stay where its consistently warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2009, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 2,467,083 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Yeah you might get a 76 degree semi-humid day, thats not that warm, and its also not consistent, like 80 degree weather is in summer. Bugs aren't going to just crawl and fly to Texas every time they have a KIND OF warm day in winter, and then leave the next day when it gets colder. They stay where its consistently warm.
Well 76 degrees is rather warm to me. And in much of Texas, the warm and fair days far outnumber the cool and cold days. This past winter was a perfect example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top