U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 189 48.21%
Southern summer 203 51.79%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:16 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,932,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
and I have lived in Gainesville. Nothing like here 20 miles from the Everglades. We take the kids out for about 20 minutes of recess (running, shooting hoops, etc.). It took one boy (11 years old) about half and hour for the red to subside from his face when he came inside in AC. He was drinking water constantly. There was one girl I had to take inside because I thought she was going to faint.

It is not nice, or healthy, to be out running around in the Noon day sun when the heat index is over 100 degrees in SW Florida. Get used to it? Apparently, these preteens haven't and these kids specially I am referring to are all NATIVE Floridians. That is why their parents keep them INSIDE in the Summers.

Getting heat stroke is not healthy for anyone.
I guess my sarcasm wasn't obvious enough.

There were15 people out there with at least 12 playing at a time. Not just tapping it back and forth, actually exerting ourselves and diving for the ball.

No one got heat stroke, no one fainted.

Just a beautiful day to be outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 04:20 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,297,465 times
when i was in elementary school we had an hour of recess everyday all year, and we had PE outside. I do remeber us staying inside one day when it didnt get out of the 40s though. Its hard to run around and have fun outside for us FL natives when theres a windchill stinging your face and hands as your running, it just takes the fun away. The summer heat is just uncomfortable, its something ppl can learn to deal with by keeping hydrated and maybe taking a break under the shade ever 20 mins or so if you really cant handle it. its not physical pain. When it gets to cold outside it physically HURTS your face, and hands if there not covered. Also, its hard to breath deep withought the cold air hurting your throat.

I remember when it got down in the 20s one night here in orlando, that next morning i stopped to get gas on the way to class (it was about 30-32 degrees by that time) and i couldnt even hold the gas pump for too long without switching hands every few seconds to put in a pocket. I hated it. I'm glad those kind of days only occur a few times per year. Our uncomfortable summer are worth it. Not to mention our nearly perfect winter months.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:22 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,966,090 times
Default The heat index was 105 degrees today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I guess my sarcasm wasn't obvious enough.

There were15 people out there with at least 12 playing at a time. Not just tapping it back and forth, actually exerting ourselves and diving for the ball.

No one got heat stroke, no one fainted.

Just a beautiful day to be outside.
'
If you as an adult want to risk getting heat stroke, that is your business. My job is to keep the kids safe. If that means sitting them in the shade or taking them inside if they look like they are going to be sick, then I WILL; Florida sunshine or no Florida sunshine. I would do the same with my own children, or myself.

I am not out to prove a point, or sell real estate. If my kids came home with frosbite in NY from being outside too long, you can bet I would be calling up the school. It should, and is from my exerience with Florida parents, be the same with the HEAT in Florida.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
'
If you as an adult want to risk getting heat stroke, that is your business. My job is to keep the kids safe. If that means sitting them in the shade or taking them inside if they look like they are going to be sick, then I WILL; Florida sunshine or no Florida sunshine. I would do the same with my own children, or myself.

I am not out to prove a point, or sell real estate. If my kids came home with frosbite in NY from being outside too long, you can bet I would be calling up the school. It should, and is from my exerience with Florida parents, be the same with the HEAT in Florida.
Yes, if my children came home with heat stroke I would have a problem but in all my years of soccer, baseball, softball, NJROTC PT out in the sun for hours at a time my children have never had a problem, nor have any that I coached.

If you stay hydrated and take a break here and there there should be no problem.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:58 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,741,043 times
Quote:
Nothing like here 20 miles from the Everglades. We take the kids out for about 20 minutes of recess (running, shooting hoops, etc.). It took one boy (11 years old) about half and hour for the red to subside from his face when he came inside in AC. He was drinking water constantly. There was one girl I had to take inside because I thought she was going to faint.
That is horrible what those poor kids have to go through in Florida.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
That is horrible what those poor kids have to go through in Florida.
Yes, just so horrible to have to go out and play in the sunshine. GASP!

Old 08-31-2009, 05:03 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,087,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Yes, if my children came home with heat stroke I would have a problem but in all my years of soccer, baseball, softball, NJROTC PT out in the sun for hours at a time my children have never had a problem, nor have any that I coached.

If you stay hydrated and take a break here and there there should be no problem.
Exactly, I was in Tampa when the heat index was around 120 something degrees, i'm a heat lover and even I had to sit in the AC once or twice and drink water, its not as bad as people make it out to be.

People act like 110-125 degree heat indexes don't happen up North.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Exactly, I was in Tampa when the heat index was around 120 something degrees, i'm a heat lover and even I had to sit in the AC once or twice and drink water, its not as bad as people make it out to be.

I love it also and understand that some don't. Some of those that don't and live here just tend to exaggerate it quite a bit.

There are actually many more heat related deaths in the midwest and northeast than in the south since they are not used to having to deal with it.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:13 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,232,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post

They really don't happen much at all here...the heat index reaches 100 degrees maybe two days of summer, but that's about it.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:17 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,741,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
They really don't happen much at all here...the heat index reaches 100 degrees maybe two days of summer, but that's about it.
I agree, summer was amazing in the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.