U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 189 48.21%
Southern summer 203 51.79%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:18 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,109,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
They really don't happen much at all here...the heat index reaches 100 degrees maybe two days of summer, but that's about it.
I know, but the funny thing is that this Summer started off cool but we got 10 days with the heat index above 100, I was keeping count lol.

100+ degree heat indexes happen more than twice a year here though.

Last edited by Infamous92; 08-31-2009 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 05:19 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,750,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Yes, just so horrible to have to go out and play in the sunshine. GASP!
I think it is pretty horrible when children are fainting and having to restrict their play time because of Florida's extreme heat.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:28 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,949,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I think it is pretty horrible when children are fainting and having to restrict their play time because of Florida's extreme heat.
I didn't see anyone saying a kid fainted and the person that talked about having to take one of them in after less than 20 minutes admittedly hates the heat. You think maybe it was a good excuse to go inside?

I have had kids running full out on the soccer field in the middle of the day and never a problem.

No restrictions on playing unless there are over protective adults doing it.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:35 PM

20,855 posts, read 35,976,422 times
Hmm.
I prefer my nordic sun angle.
The lower latitudes of the US are just not a good fit at all for me.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:49 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,975,731 times
Default There are rules and regulations

Quote:
I didn't see anyone saying a kid fainted and the person that talked about having to take one of them in after less than 20 minutes admittedly hates the heat. You think maybe it was a good excuse to go inside?

I have had kids running full out on the soccer field in the middle of the day and never a problem.

No restrictions on playing unless there are over protective adults doing it.
for nationl youth soccer. My kids played growing up; from travel to varsity. Yes, there are weather rules. I am sure you would be the first to say stop a game when it was 32 degrees, now wouldn't you? But extreme heat, because it is FLORIDA, is fine? You have an AGENDA. And I have to follow the rules of the STATE OF FLORIDA, where I work. Go ahead debunk what I say. Find me the state rule where it says, kids can stay out in heat, faces red, no rest, no water, no shade for as long as necessary.

Extreme weather is extreme weather; heat or cold.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
for nationl youth soccer. My kids played growing up; from travel to varsity. Yes, there are weather rules. I am sure you would be the first to say stop a game when it was 32 degrees, now wouldn't you? But extreme heat, because it is FLORIDA, is fine? You have an AGENDA. And I have to follow the rules of the STATE OF FLORIDA, where I work. Go ahead debunk what I say. Find me the state rule where it says, kids can stay out in heat, faces red, no rest, no water, no shade for as long as necessary.

Extreme weather is extreme weather; heat or cold.
Well first of all I never said that extreme heat that would be dangerous is fine.

What I said is that in all my years of coaching we have NEVER had a problem.

And where did I bring up state rules? I just find in strange that in your experience kids are dropping within 20 minutes of being in the sun but I have them out for hours at a time with nn problem.

What exactly is my agenda? Do you think I am on here trying to get more people to move to Florida?

You fall back on that just about every post to me along with your daughter and DJ because you have nothing else affective to say and you think that is some kind of dig on me.

Don't you think if I was really that worried about bringing more people to Florida that I might be a little more affable on here? No, I enjoy coming on here helping some people get useful information and while I am at it debunk the many, many useless and untrue posts by those that have an axe to grind for some reason or another.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:54 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,975,731 times
Default Then don't give out false information

Quote:
Well first of all I never said that extreme heat that would be dangerous is fine.

What I said is that in all my years of coaching we have NEVER had a problem.

And where did I bring up state rules? I just find in strange that in your experience kids are dropping within 20 minutes of being in the sun but I have them out for hours at a time with nn problem.

What exactly is my agenda? Do you think I am on here trying to get more people to move to Florida?

You fall back on that just about every post to me along with your daughter and DJ because you have nothing else affective to say and you think that is some kind of dig on me.

Don't you think if I was really that worried about bringing more people to Florida that I might be a little more affable on here? No, I enjoy coming on here helping some people get useful information and while I am at it debunk the many, many useless and untrue posts by those that have an axe to grind for some reason or another.
The schools in Florida are extremely aware of heat and child safety, just as they are in the north about extreme cold. 105 heat index in the middle of the day in August IS extreme heat.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Then don't give out false information The schools in Florida are extremely aware of heat and child safety, just as they are in the north about extreme cold. 105 heat index in the middle of the day in August IS extreme heat.
I did not give out any false information, you just didn't follow the conversation going on.

He said "I think it is pretty horrible when children are fainting and having to restrict their play time because of Florida's extreme heat." and I replied "No restrictions on playing unless there are over protective adults doing it."

Yes, the schools are extremely aware of child safety but I have never heard from my children or any other children about having to go in because of the heat.

The school just takes precautions and makes sure there is water available to stay hydrated and shade if needed.

You just make it out to be the burning fires of hell here just because you do not like the warm weather.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:05 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,249,175 times
It's better for kids to play out in recess when it's 30 degrees; they can just bundle up and it'd be fine. They did that when I was a kid. No kids complained about it. I remember we sometimes had soccer practices in the snow when it was 25 degrees. When you run, it warms you up. When it's hot, nothing you can do can make you cooler, except sitting in the shade. But then what's the point of a kid going out to play if they have to sit in the shade?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It's better for kids to play out in recess when it's 30 degrees; they can just bundle up and it'd be fine. They did that when I was a kid. No kids complained about it. I remember we sometimes had soccer practices in the snow when it was 25 degrees. When you run, it warms you up. When it's hot, nothing you can do can make you cooler, except sitting in the shade. But then what's the point of a kid going out to play if they have to sit in the shade?
Except for the fact that soccer fields are wide open with no shade.

They take their breaks, drink their water and go back out. No problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.